REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Henry Surtees dies during race (Formula 2)

Son of John Surtees

he got hit on the head by a tire!

i dont watch formula 2 but this happened a few days ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dsOwfe7xo

how crazy is that?!

Quote:
With his parents watching, the 18 year-old was hit on the head by a loose wheel from another car that bounced across the track during a Formula Two race at Brands Hatch on Sunday. Surtees was killed instantly by the blow, his car driving straight through the next corner before colliding with the barriers.

It was a stark reminder of the dangers inherent in motorsport, although it says much for the great strides it has made in the area of safety that the incident has so shaken the racing community.

As tributes for Henry flooded in on Monday, John Surtees, now 75, issued a poignant statement saying simply that his son would be "deeply missed".

"Henry had followed his heart from the time he first sat in a kart," said the 1964 Formula One world champion. "He treated seriously the balance between motorsport and school, having just finished his A-levels. The world beckoned and he was thriving on the freedom to concentrate on his motorsport.

"Despite bad luck in his motorsport, he had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top. Despite his young age he had shown maturity, technical understanding and speed. Most importantly he was a nice person and a loving son and brother. He will be deeply missed."

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and Brazilian Formula One driver Felipe Massa both expressed their sorrow and, in common with other leading figures in motorsport, stressed the importance of learning from the tragedy.

"These things remind us how much safety has to remain the priority on the track and in all the other places of motorsport," Massa said. "Over the last years much has been done, but we can't be inattentive."...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ort-world.html
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Such a freak accident... sad...

RIP.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
this is why Formula 1 has an ultra strong tether cable that holds the wheel attached to the car in case of crashes so shit like this doesnt happen..
if the wheel breaks away from the car completely, it is held to the car by a cable

but I guess Formula 1 drivers lives are worth more than Formula 2.... people in charge who decided that F2 cars shouldnt have this safety features should all be fired after this incident

Since 1998, F1 cars have had to fit wheel tethers connecting the wheels to the chassis. This rule was introduced to try to stop wheels coming free and bouncing around dangerously during an accident. Unfortunately, wheels still do come off the cars during crashes, tragically killing a marshall at the Italian GP in 2000. The FIA have introduced an extra tether to each wheel for the 2001 season to try to stop the wheels coming off and causing injury to other drivers, marshals or spectators. The tether must attach to the chassis at one end, with the other end connecting to the wheel hub.

The wheel tethers are made by one of three companies in the UK, Future Fibres in London being one of them, and take the form of a rope. The tethers used in F1 are a derivative of high performance marine ropes, made especially for each car. They are made from a special polymer called polybenzoaoxide (PBO) which is often called Zylon. This Zylon material has a very high strength and stiffness characteristic (around 280GPa) much like carbon, but the advantage of Zylon is that it can be used as a pure fibre unlike carbon which has to be in composite form to gain its strength. The drawback of Zylon is that is must be protected from light, so it is covered in a shrink wrapped protective cover. The tethers are designed to withstand about 5000 kg of load, but often they can break quite easily during an accident, especially if the cable gets twisted by the broken suspension members. The teams normally replace the tethers every two or three races to ensure that they can withstand the loads put on them during an accident.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

RIP
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
hot rod waggin'

Racing has always been dangerous and always will be. Unfortunately people seem to forget that these days...

RIP
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
hot rod waggin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
this is why Formula 1 has an ultra strong tether cable that holds the wheel attached to the car in case of crashes so shit like this doesnt happen..

but I guess Formula 1 drivers lives are worth more than Formula 2.... people in charge who decided that F2 cars shouldnt have this safety features should all be fired after this incident

All of the F2 cars have tethers for the wheels. This is just a case of them failing, as in many of the F1 crashes as well.

Statement from the F2 Series Chief:

http://www.formulatwo.com/news/henry...statement.aspx

Quote:
The Williams F1 designed Formula Two cars comply with the FIA 2005 F1 safety standards including the fitment of wheel tethers to reduce the risk of wheels coming off in accidents. The F2 car also includes the latest F1 standards of driver head protection with high cockpit sides and lateral deformable structures. As with F1 however, wheel tethers cannot provide an absolute guarantee that a wheel will not come off in an accident and in a single seater race car the front of the head is inevitably exposed to the risk, however small, of being hit by another car or component.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
All of the F2 cars have tethers for the wheels. This is just a case of them failing, as in many of the F1 crashes as well.

Statement from the F2 Series Chief:

http://www.formulatwo.com/news/henry...statement.aspx

really ? because in that short clip I saw 2 failures, even Surtess car after hitting the wall his wheel fell off his car too. maybe they use a shittier quality cable in F2

in the last few years I've seen a few bad crashes in F1, much worse than this one, and every time the tether has held
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
really ? because in that short clip I saw 2 failures, even Surtess car after hitting the wall his wheel fell off his car too. maybe they use a shittier quality cable in F2

in the last few years I've seen a few bad crashes in F1, much worse than this one, and every time the tether has held
You mean like this?

Australia 2009 - Kubica
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

RIP
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
sooo younggg n dead alreadi,rip
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,178 Times in 2,408 Posts
Fuck that's just disturbing to watch on video...
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

RIP,
however, can someone explain to me how this tether work? where are the points of connection?
I am trying to imagine a rope between the rotating wheel and the chassis... and all i see is the rope being twisted around whatever suspension components. I know I am missing something, so can someone please educate me?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

wow at least it was quick
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

well he went doing what he liked.. but still sad way to go..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
racing & tech mod.

The teather is not designed to prevent the wheel from coming off completely. If they wanted to, they could make a teather that does not fail and will not release the wheel. The danger then is that the wheel will bounce back toward the chassis and hit it's own driver. The current teathers are designed to reduce the kinetic engery of the wheel before it completey departs - so that instead of a 100mph wheel flying at you, you have a 10mph wheel flying at you. (Which should be a bit easier to avoid) However when you're travelling at 100mph, a 10mph tire can still be fatal, as we've seen here with Surtees.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 07-22-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
racing & tech mod.

I'm more surprised that, this being revscene, no one mentioned that fact that Surtees is 75 and his son was 18. Really.. who has kids at 57?? I felt bad for Henry already knowing that his father would not be around for most of his life.. but now I really feel horrible for the family.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I'm more surprised that, this being revscene, no one mentioned that fact that Surtees is 75 and his son was 18. Really.. who has kids at 57?? I felt bad for Henry already knowing that his father would not be around for most of his life.. but now I really feel horrible for the family.
It's like you were reading my mind.
But I felt it was in bad taste to mention it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
wow thats a horrible way to die.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Poor guy

RIP
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It's like you were reading my mind.
But I felt it was in bad taste to mention it.
Revscene and bad taste go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #21
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
yeah i was thinking about that age thing too, but didnt think it was too odd when i figured out he was in his late 50s... my grandfather had my aunt in his ... 60s/early 70s not to sure something like that
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote