REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   hub centric ring (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583430-hub-centric-ring.html)

x__chinese 07-22-2009 09:27 AM

hub centric ring

Do i need to them when i install my rims on a 2004 honda civic?

Supafly 07-22-2009 11:36 AM

well, are your rims aftermarket?.....do they sit flush on the hub?....need to be a bit more specific.

some rims require it, other rims don't......easiest way to findout is to mount them, drive up to 60km/h and if it vibrates like a bitch on a sybian, then you need rings. ;)

!Aznboi128 07-22-2009 12:11 PM

^ can't that be an aligment problem as well? hahaha

*op* you need to have more info what car, what rims, hub size

chris_89T 08-08-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x__chinese (Post 6517757)
Do i need to them when i install my rims on a 2004 honda civic?

The previous posts are about 75% Correct.

The truth:

You "Dont" need hub rings. Most lug nuts will center the wheel, but you *MUST* torque them down in a criss-cross pattern. This is not the best way. but i drove around for a year without hub rings, and in that time i had several track days and 160+kmh runs. No vibrations at all.

Hub Rings help, if you have stock wheels, you do not need hub rings, as the hub bore of the wheel will match the hub bore of the vehicle. If you buy aftermarket rims, you will need to either A). Find wheels with the correct offset/width/centerbore for a perfect fit or B). Buy hub-rings that will allow your aftermarket wheel to sit flush on the hub of your vehicle.

If you do choose to use Hub rings, i recommend applying anti-seize to the hub ring, as they can be incredibly hard to get off sometimes! Dis-similar metals cause corrosion.

To sum it up, i would recommend using them.

!SG 08-09-2009 09:54 PM

really depends on the wheel. not all lugnuts are the same, you got shank style, u got tappered, u got ball, then u got lug nuts and lug bolts...

however, most aftermarket rims are tappered style, which should center itself. however a hub centric ring doesnt hurt, plus it makes for mounting the wheel onto ur hub a lot easier when its resting centered on the hub.

depends on the wheel, but from what ive mounted, and seen, majority of the rims start around the 70-73mm hub mark. then you just need to find the hub sizing for your car. forgot what hondas were, but a quick google search should help.

your looking around 30 bucks for a set of 4. usually all 4 hubs are the same size, unless your driving something like the nsx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_89T (Post 6538814)
The previous posts are about 75% Correct.

The truth:

You "Dont" need hub rings. Most lug nuts will center the wheel, but you *MUST* torque them down in a criss-cross pattern. This is not the best way. but i drove around for a year without hub rings, and in that time i had several track days and 160+kmh runs. No vibrations at all.

Hub Rings help, if you have stock wheels, you do not need hub rings, as the hub bore of the wheel will match the hub bore of the vehicle. If you buy aftermarket rims, you will need to either A). Find wheels with the correct offset/width/centerbore for a perfect fit or B). Buy hub-rings that will allow your aftermarket wheel to sit flush on the hub of your vehicle.

If you do choose to use Hub rings, i recommend applying anti-seize to the hub ring, as they can be incredibly hard to get off sometimes! Dis-similar metals cause corrosion.

To sum it up, i would recommend using them.

BoostLover 08-31-2009 11:37 PM

If you are putting money out for a set of aftermarket rims you can put out $20-$30 for hub centrics. It will make life so much easyer for everyone. I work in a tire shop and the one thing i hate most is people with no hub centrics and having to hold them to what i think is center wile torquing them down. It is hit or miss with having no vibrations and if you plan on ever taking them off again it will save alot of time and hastle.