REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

hub centric ring

Do i need to them when i install my rims on a 2004 honda civic?
Advertisement
x__chinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

well, are your rims aftermarket?.....do they sit flush on the hub?....need to be a bit more specific.

some rims require it, other rims don't......easiest way to findout is to mount them, drive up to 60km/h and if it vibrates like a bitch on a sybian, then you need rings.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ can't that be an aligment problem as well? hahaha

*op* you need to have more info what car, what rims, hub size
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x__chinese View Post
Do i need to them when i install my rims on a 2004 honda civic?

The previous posts are about 75% Correct.

The truth:

You "Dont" need hub rings. Most lug nuts will center the wheel, but you *MUST* torque them down in a criss-cross pattern. This is not the best way. but i drove around for a year without hub rings, and in that time i had several track days and 160+kmh runs. No vibrations at all.

Hub Rings help, if you have stock wheels, you do not need hub rings, as the hub bore of the wheel will match the hub bore of the vehicle. If you buy aftermarket rims, you will need to either A). Find wheels with the correct offset/width/centerbore for a perfect fit or B). Buy hub-rings that will allow your aftermarket wheel to sit flush on the hub of your vehicle.

If you do choose to use Hub rings, i recommend applying anti-seize to the hub ring, as they can be incredibly hard to get off sometimes! Dis-similar metals cause corrosion.

To sum it up, i would recommend using them.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
really depends on the wheel. not all lugnuts are the same, you got shank style, u got tappered, u got ball, then u got lug nuts and lug bolts...

however, most aftermarket rims are tappered style, which should center itself. however a hub centric ring doesnt hurt, plus it makes for mounting the wheel onto ur hub a lot easier when its resting centered on the hub.

depends on the wheel, but from what ive mounted, and seen, majority of the rims start around the 70-73mm hub mark. then you just need to find the hub sizing for your car. forgot what hondas were, but a quick google search should help.

your looking around 30 bucks for a set of 4. usually all 4 hubs are the same size, unless your driving something like the nsx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_89T View Post
The previous posts are about 75% Correct.

The truth:

You "Dont" need hub rings. Most lug nuts will center the wheel, but you *MUST* torque them down in a criss-cross pattern. This is not the best way. but i drove around for a year without hub rings, and in that time i had several track days and 160+kmh runs. No vibrations at all.

Hub Rings help, if you have stock wheels, you do not need hub rings, as the hub bore of the wheel will match the hub bore of the vehicle. If you buy aftermarket rims, you will need to either A). Find wheels with the correct offset/width/centerbore for a perfect fit or B). Buy hub-rings that will allow your aftermarket wheel to sit flush on the hub of your vehicle.

If you do choose to use Hub rings, i recommend applying anti-seize to the hub ring, as they can be incredibly hard to get off sometimes! Dis-similar metals cause corrosion.

To sum it up, i would recommend using them.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If you are putting money out for a set of aftermarket rims you can put out $20-$30 for hub centrics. It will make life so much easyer for everyone. I work in a tire shop and the one thing i hate most is people with no hub centrics and having to hold them to what i think is center wile torquing them down. It is hit or miss with having no vibrations and if you plan on ever taking them off again it will save alot of time and hastle.
BoostLover is offline   Reply With Quote