REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Let's talk kia soul? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583750-lets-talk-kia-soul.html)

ilvtofu 07-24-2009 08:36 PM

Let's talk kia soul?

Haha I guess a sister thread to HK20000's Let's talk nissan cube

So last week i was considering these two cars,
The cube's distinctive style and character was just too special to ignore, and the interior space and extensive list of standard features were quite impressive.

However after a test drive in the CVT cube... Smooth ride and CVT doesn't jerk, but i literally fell asleep, great for U-turns (better than the soul I believe, i did do it in both cars)

As for the soul, I prefer the stylish interior and the "mood" lighting is oh so tempting :) Exterior styling is more appealing to most people, but the interior flexibility and size was a bit worse, (none of which I will use, although the Soul does come with a flat load floor )

But after a test drive in the soul, I was pretty much sold, Drove very well, clutch was decent, acceleration was excellent, suspension was firm but not too firm :)

Also the soul has an excellent 5 year warranty, but I am afraid of the resale value more in the soul, although in 20k cars it won't be too bad.

So RS, what do you think?
Small exterior dimensions, coupled with a roomy interior, what's your pick and why?

Also what do you like and not like about the soul?

...I already know what we don't like about the cube :haha:

jing 07-24-2009 09:57 PM

What does it matter what other people think? If you like it, then buy it.

Wykydtron 07-24-2009 10:31 PM

xD

PDKGD3 07-24-2009 10:38 PM

Get an '09 Fit, I think there's a promotion happening at Vancouver Honda right now.

Rikaro 07-24-2009 10:50 PM

If you like the Soul, buy the Soul. It is a pretty underrated car. :(

orange7 07-24-2009 10:53 PM

because I said I personally I don't like the look of the cube, my vote goes toward the soul.

E-DA9 07-24-2009 11:03 PM

I think the soul is a fail. personally.

As you know from the other thread I'm a cube fan, been one since seeing it in Japan during early 2000s. I'm all for the trends they have there with these types of cars...toyota bBs ,etc.....(though the new xB is an even greater fail)

so yeah...the soul is just mad ugly to me...thatz MY opinion. :D

Marco911 07-24-2009 11:16 PM

They should call it the Seoul, because it has no soul.

Rikaro 07-25-2009 02:01 AM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=139106

ilvtofu 07-25-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jing (Post 6521310)
What does it matter what other people think? If you like it, then buy it.

Because I haven't tested at anything else in this price range besides the cube and the soul, Like the other post said Honda Fit, Although IMO there's a bit too many around :(

Hmm... Scion XB anyone know when they'll be here officially?

kumbo1 07-25-2009 08:36 AM

The Kia Soul is an ugly piece of garbage along with the Nissan Cube. No one in their right mind buy one and "trick it out"...

hk20000 07-25-2009 09:32 AM

Soul is a car and if it's a car you need that's the cheapest thing on the market other than the Kia Rio or whatever crap Kia produces....

So you definitely have brand image problems with this.... Also the design isn't really "out there" it probably doesn't age so well down the road.

The verdict has always been that Soul drives a little better than Cube tho so if you are those drivers that tackle corners very quickly for fun Soul is more responsive and shorter (like vehicle height from skirt to roof, not length) for better handling.

Cube is better at carrying crap and shiftless motoring. Soul is better for driving fun. Scion xB is exactly inbetween...

So it's really up to you.

JesseBlue 07-25-2009 11:46 AM

as i mentioned before i like the cube...on top of the 5 year warranty you get a 1 year wear and tear warranty as i've been told...so all bulbs, brake pads and such would be covered there...i think its fairly practical especially the warranty period...i'd wait till the financing drops to somewhere in the 0-0.9% to make it even more better for 48+ months...try to get that at other dealers...
before i wanted to go with honda...but f*$K they price things way too high...and icbc is getting in on the act as well by them insuring it to a higher price level...
i'd be more inclined in buying one in december in hopes that they do drop the financing on it....

ilvtofu 07-25-2009 02:11 PM

^wow I didn't know that about Nissan's warranty, I'll surely take that into consideration, free brakes FTW :)
Oil changes covered?

GordonTse 07-25-2009 05:19 PM

^ there is warranty oil changes, from my experience working at Nissan. iunno much about it tho, but there are warranty ones, that are completely free. then there are the VIP ones, and you still have to pay the eviro fee, which is like under $3.

Marco911 07-25-2009 08:05 PM

i've never seen a car need new brake pads in the first year of ownership - considering most ppl average 24k km / yr. Brake pads go 30K km easy.

JesseBlue 07-25-2009 08:25 PM

i made an error...i'm getting boxes mixed up (like fedex)....i meant the soul... i was talking about kia's warranty...and the first line should say"...i like the soul"

haha... :D

time_traveller 07-26-2009 05:50 AM

Wait for the scion XB in 2010. Way more mods and aftermarket for it. :thumbsup:

4doorVIP 07-26-2009 06:38 AM

saw a souless the other night, what an ugly pos - those tail lights made me cringe

jlenko 07-26-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6521223)
great for U-turns (better than the soul I believe, i did do it in both cars)

...because U-turn turning radius is a really important selling feature, for those who don't have a fucking clue where they're going or how to drive properly.

I suggest you figure out where you're going first so you don't need to pull U-turns... then you will choose better criteria to buy a car :haha:

Meowjin 07-26-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6522134)
i've never seen a car need new brake pads in the first year of ownership - considering most ppl average 24k km / yr. Brake pads go 30K km easy.

My pads are at 75% and I'm on 30k km.

Black SC2 07-26-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6521223)
Also what do you like and not like about the soul?

I like that there will never be one parked in my driveway. I don't like that I have to see them on the road almost everyday.

JesseBlue 07-26-2009 01:56 PM

^ that doesn't help with what the op is really looking for...if its styling then explain why you don't like it...

some people don't like the civic because of the dash..and some do....i guess try to be a little bit more descriptive

orange7 07-26-2009 07:20 PM

why not get a Hyundai genesis coupe?

ilvtofu 07-26-2009 09:55 PM

^practicality?

Well I know the styling is a love or hate thing, frankly I like it more than the cube and it's got quite a bit of character.

I think i'm just being overly self-conscious in driving a Kia...