REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
Question A/C Shops and R-12 substitutes

My freon is on its last legs and with the hot weather, it would be nice to have my A/C capable of keeping the car cold instead of merely 'cool'.

Are there any shops in the 604 that will recharge R-12 air conditioning units with R-12 substitutes such as ES-12 or Freeze-12? These substitutes seem to be common in the States and I've heard good things about them. However, I have not seen them for sale in Canada.

I called Anglo-Canadian and asked about this and they either didn't know what I was talking about, or they denied that such substitutes exist. Just out of curiosity, I got a quote for a R-134 retrofit and it will cost in the $750 range.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
hm... thats odd i just bought a diy ac retrofit kit at the US wallmart for like 40 bux that changes it from r12 to r134 but i have yet to do this to see how it works, cuz im lazy and the ac is still pretty cold
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
I know that these R-12 substitutes are widely available in the States. Other than the Redtek Canadian Tire sells, I want to know if there any other shops in Vancouver that carry the substitutes I've named.

Ideally, I'd want to take it into a shop so that they can discharge the system of the remaining R-12 and refill it with the substitute. However, I realize that retrofits are probably better for shops because they make the shops more money.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Aren't R12 substitutes mostly propane?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No not quite, they are hydrocarbon though.

With an old AC check for leaks before you put in the HC12 refrigerant.. you don't want it to leak while your car is stuck in traffic. Flammable gas + hot engine = not good idea. Hence most shop won't do it due to liability.

The HC12 are really common these days, KMS, princess all carries them as DIY.. but be aware any coolant left in your system can be resold for $$, you need a PSI gauge to refill so buy their accessory kit. You might want to get the propane tank size one which they sell to refill and empty system, instead of the small ass can..

What I suggest (Assuming you have a compressor):
0. Get a group together, get the accessories.. PSI gauge, spare hoses, silver insulation tape etc.
1. Check for leaks with a dye kit.. you can see dye with UV source like LED flashlights.
2. Inject the dye kit into all cars and drive a few days with AC running.
3. Repair leaks usually just a few busted hose that you can crimp new ones.
4. Recharge all cars with same accessories and one big bbq size HC12 tank.

CHECK FOR LEAKS AND FIX THEM BEFORE FILLING!

You can see what you need to get (accessories etc) from http://duracool.com/ and KMS sells Duracool.

It is not rocketscience but you do need to do the math.. a guide is here http://www.duracool.com/Duracool/quickinstal.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Aren't R12 substitutes mostly propane?

Last edited by godwin; 07-28-2009 at 02:19 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote