REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Help with insurance and color change on my car

Hello,

My car was recently keyed, my insurance covers vandalism, and I was just wondering if I'm able to change the color of the car? Will I need to bring my car into ICBC to get pictures taken before I bring it to the body shop to get it repainted? or do I just bring it straight to the body shop and call them. After being painted, will I need to bring my car to ICBC to show them the color?

If I am able to change the color, is there a fee? and how much?

If I am not able to change the color through the claim, is it a good idea to change it anyways and not tell them, then later on tell them you didn't like the color so you repainted it to this current color?

Please tell me if you know the answer. Also opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
BMW_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

They don't need to repaint the entire vehicle to fix the key marks, even if every panel was keyed. I had a hit and run claim and I just ended up paying the bodyshop extra money on top of the ICBC deductable to paint the entire car a new colour.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
They don't need to repaint the entire vehicle to fix the key marks, even if every panel was keyed. I had a hit and run claim and I just ended up paying the bodyshop extra money on top of the ICBC deductable to paint the entire car a new colour.

This actually happened to my other car during the summer that all they keying's were happening in the lower mainland. The car was keyed only from the front fender to the rear bumper on both sides and they repainted the whole car to match the color, it totaled $4,800 on the invoice. But because this happened during that time, I didn't need to even bring it to ICBC because there were so many keying's. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I'll need to bring it in this time.

But they might need to paint the whole car on the recent keying because there are key marks on the hood, fenders, both doors, trunk, bumpers and even the roof, so basically the whole car.
BMW_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ Sorry to interrupt, but did you seriously piss someone off recently?

You might be able to negotiate a change in colour, since it looks like your entire car will be going in for a respray.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you do change the colour, you should be aware of this immediate requirement....

Notice of change made in motor vehicle
15 (1) If a change is made in a motor vehicle registered under this Act by

(a) replacing the chassis by another,

(b) replacing the body by another,

(c) changing the type of the motor vehicle for another;

(d) changing the style or colour of the body, or

(e) changing the type of fuel system,

the owner of the motor vehicle must immediately deliver to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia a notice in writing stating the nature of the change and other particulars the corporation requires.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,915 Times in 3,875 Posts
^ so that includes carb to FI swaps? interesting
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

You just notify your autoplan agent, who might want to see the colour and they print you out a new document with the new colour shown on it. No charge last time I checked.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
i was told by a bodyshop last year when my car was keyed that ICBC doesnt allow color changes. they will think that you keyed your car yourself because u wanted to paint it a different color...
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If you do change the colour, you should be aware of this immediate requirement....
(e) changing the type of fuel system,
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ so that includes carb to FI swaps? interesting
There's nowhere on your registration that specifies whether you're carb or FI. I would think this applies to the type of fuel used (gasoline, diesel, CNG, LP), which IS listed on your registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
i was told by a bodyshop last year when my car was keyed that ICBC doesnt allow color changes. they will think that you keyed your car yourself because u wanted to paint it a different color...
And yet others have reportedly done it.

Best idea here is to contact the adjuster handling the claim and simply ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

what about color changes if say the body of your car is white, but you wrap it in black vinyl for example?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^
I think that counts since a vinyl wrap is a semi permanent colour change. Also the vinyl itself might be covered as a "vehicle upgrade", a professional wrap job ain't cheap.
There are other reasons too... Imagine being pulled over and showing a cop your papers. White on the registration but black in person... You are asking for trouble!

My old car got keyed bad, all panels except roof and bumpers. On the icbc claim it stated no colour changes allowed. I'm guessing your claim will probably say the same.

Keep in mind that a proper colour change is more than just an exterior paint job and it's far from cheap. You have to do the trunk, engine bay, door jams, and a bunch of other small places. If you don't do it right you will actually lower the value of your vehicle with a questionable paint job.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
^
Keep in mind that a proper colour change is more than just an exterior paint job and it's far from cheap. You have to do the trunk, engine bay, door jams, and a bunch of other small places. If you don't do it right you will actually lower the value of your vehicle with a questionable paint job.
Posted via RS Mobile
This.

Even if they're repairing damage on the outside of the vehicle, I doubt they would be touching things like the engine bay and door jams so changing the colour would ultimately be an upgrade thats costs thousands.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

just have to go to any autoplan agent and they will update..

Its a simple step,

I changed the color on my car jsut cause 4 months ago. and i still havent gotten around to getting it changed on the papers..

been to busy/lazy
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #14

Not to thread jack or anything but my car was keyed recently at Brentwood Mall. Have a good idea it was some bums as I auto started my car and saw them running away. Anyways, there is a fair amount of damage. How does ICBC handle the cost of a paintjob vs the value of the car? My 94 Accord isn't worth that much on the market. Kind of curious as I am in limbo if I should claim or not.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemo View Post
Not to thread jack or anything but my car was keyed recently at Brentwood Mall. Have a good idea it was some bums as I auto started my car and saw them running away. Anyways, there is a fair amount of damage. How does ICBC handle the cost of a paintjob vs the value of the car? My 94 Accord isn't worth that much on the market. Kind of curious as I am in limbo if I should claim or not.
call and see. Starting a claim and seeing an estimator does NOT mean you agree to go through insurance for the repair.

The claim is only solidified if you sign certain ICBC paperwork stating so.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
dont forget to keep in mind that it will hurt your resale value if the car is painted a different color than what's listed on the VIN
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
call and see. Starting a claim and seeing an estimator does NOT mean you agree to go through insurance for the repair.

The claim is only solidified if you sign certain ICBC paperwork stating so.
I've never dealt with ICBC for claims before, which is why I asked. But knowing that I have to sign shit first before anything is solidified makes me sit easier. Going to give them a shout and ponder.