REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
Explain EI to me please

So how does EI work? can you get it if you quit a job or only if you are laid off or fired?

how long do you get EI for once your on it? and how much of the wage you were getting previously do you get?

also does going on EI effect your work history, social insurance, credit, etc.?
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
You can't get EI if you quit a job. Not if you're fired either. It can only happen if you're laid off.

Typically EI is 70% of your wages and you should get it for around 10 months. Some people have found that they're having their benefits extended by about a month tho.

In this job market being on EI is understandable. If an employer asks about a gap in your employment just saying that you were on EI is pretty much understandable.

Oh, and EI doesn't affect your credit because it isn't a loan. This is a fund you've paid into with every paycheque you've ever gotten. This is you getting the money back out.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
awsome thanks for the info, i have no intention on going on EI, just curious as to how it worked
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

can u still get EI if you're part-time? i work 5 days a week a bit more than 40 hours a week and my employer still isn't willing to change me to full-time nor give me a raise after the 3 month probation and after obtaining my forklift and power jack license...!!!
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

here's how EI works.

you pay into it your whole life.

you fall on hard times, and apply for assistance. and the staff at the EI office are the people who ignore you.

on your way out the office you hold the door open for a single mother with 5 screaming kids who has never worked an hard day in her life and, for some reason, is entitled to the benefits THAT YOU PAY INTO yet do not qualify for.

sound about right?
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I've heard a few stories of people getting ei when they were fired, they made up some bs like the company wasnt giving them a chance to learn and understand everything and terminated them too quickly
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^You can sometimes (often) claim EI if you're terminated "without cause". Terminated "with cause", you're pretty much guaranteed not to qualify.

It's not as simple as just sitting back and collecting cheques, tho...

First, if you've received any severance, vacation payout, etc., that counts against when the EI starts. For example, if you got four weeks' pay as severance, your EI doesn't start until after those four weeks. They'll know, too, because you have to submit your ROE when you apply, and your (ex) employer has to put all that on your ROE.

Second, you have to be looking for work while you're on EI. You have to submit weekly forms stating that you have been looking for work, haven't been out of the country, etc. (a lot of people fudge this, as it's just "yes or no" checkboxes on the form, but they DO check up sometimes). They require you to keep a record of job-hunting activities as well - places applies to, people contacted, dates and times, etc. I've never been asked for those records when I've been on EI, but I know people who have, and the EI folks get a little testy if you don't have it.

Third, you have to report any income you do make, and that's deducted from your EI. Say you're getting $700/week from EI, and you do some part-time work and collect $300 for that... you tell EI, and they only send you $400 for that week. There are limits - I think 80% or something: 80% of $700 is $560, so if you make $600 for that week, they still only deduct the max $560. (I don't know if 80% is the exact number, but it's something like that).

A lot of people do work under-the-table for cash and don't report it... don't know anyone who's been caught at that, personally, but I know they can deduct it after the fact if they do find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
VLS Head Mod

sometimes you can get EI if you quit but it's always better to ask them first. I know the EI office here would allow you to claim EI if you quit your job at the local call center because that was a horrible place to work and it had a huge turnover rate.
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

you are eligible for EI if you quit your job for safety reasons as well
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,766 Times in 908 Posts
Probably a no brainer but if you get laid off and get some kind of package your EI will not kick in as fast as if you didn't get said package because that package acts sort of like EI and you really didn't think our government was that generous did you?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

EI is the governments' fix to the assumption that the citizens don't know how to take care of their personal finances, and think on their own. It assumes we're too stupid to "save for a rainy day" or save/invest part of our earnings. It's them "protecting" us from ourselves.

It's a complete waste for the majority of people, and a detriment to the economy as the whole.
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

Second, you have to be looking for work while you're on EI. You have to submit weekly forms stating that you have been looking for work, haven't been out of the country, etc. (a lot of people fudge this, as it's just "yes or no" checkboxes on the form, but they DO check up sometimes). They require you to keep a record of job-hunting activities as well - places applies to, people contacted, dates and times, etc. I've never been asked for those records when I've been on EI, but I know people who have, and the EI folks get a little testy if you don't have it.
This depends on whether you're temporarily laid off or permanent. I'm on temp. lay off and they don't ask if I've been looking.

You have to be available for work during weekdays and they DO check flight records. If you claim that you've been away (say for 1 week) and are eligible for 35 weeks, they just won't pay you for that week but will tack it on to the end. Point being, DON'T LIE about being away if you've crossed a border or went via plane. The penalty could include 300% of the amount paid while you were gone and denial of your remaining benefits.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
It is actually 55% of your salary. There is no set time on how long you will get benefits, it is determined by how many hours you have input in the last 52 weeks and the unemployment rate in your region.

If you work part time, you only get $50 or 25% of your weekly benefits, whichever is higher. Anything earned above that number is deducted from your benefits.
raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

i work 6 months, tell my boss to lay me off, get the money, have him hire me again, and repeat the whole processs. been doing that for the past 24years
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #15
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
i work 6 months, tell my boss to lay me off, get the money, have him hire me again, and repeat the whole processs. been doing that for the past 24years
hahaha fucking funny guy.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
How about this. I asked my boss for a "leave of absense" because Im going back to school to start an apprenticeship in 3 weeks. He didnt grant me the leave so now on my ROE, its going to say that I quit on my own will. Is there anyway I can collect EI?
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
It is actually 55% of your salary. There is no set time on how long you will get benefits, it is determined by how many hours you have input in the last 52 weeks and the unemployment rate in your region.

Aha. Thanks

Quote:
I knew a guy who did that every year. He drove a septic sucker and when work got quiet he'd go on EI for about four or five months, then he'd come back to work.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
How about this. I asked my boss for a "leave of absense" because Im going back to school to start an apprenticeship in 3 weeks. He didnt grant me the leave so now on my ROE, its going to say that I quit on my own will. Is there anyway I can collect EI?
Probably, because you have a valid reason. In fact, in a lot of trades, EI will provide money towards your training. You should contact them and find out if there's anything available.
Quote:
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
yes you can. i did the same thing. file a dispute with ESB. first thing first, print off the dispute resolution form from them, and have a sit down with your boss asking him to change it. he should comply. if he doesnt, you can go ahead with the ESB form and let them deal with him directly. he won't like it, but too fuckin bad.

got my severance cheque within 1hr of speaking with ESB
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
yes you can. i did the same thing. file a dispute with ESB. first thing first, print off the dispute resolution form from them, and have a sit down with your boss asking him to change it. he should comply. if he doesnt, you can go ahead with the ESB form and let them deal with him directly. he won't like it, but too fuckin bad.

got my severance cheque within 1hr of speaking with ESB
Severance sure but he can't collect EI well going to school unless it's a program or upgrading that EI set him up with.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #21

Even if he has to quit, he may still be able to get EI *because* he quit to go to school (ie. a valid reason for quitting). If he's attending school, he won't have to look for work on a weekly basis. *AND* if it's an approved course, he MAY be able to get EI to pay for that as well.

Which is why I suggested calling them to find out. If he tells EI that he asked for a leave of absence to attend training, and ended up having to quit, chance are they'll be pretty supportive.
Quote:
Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #22

Yes, I did ask the company that I've been at for 2.5 years for a leave of absence and they basically told me. I have a fairly important position, and I think its come down to their just bitter over the situation. I was accepted into a welding apprenticeship which has direct ties to my work, but because of the econamy they cannot support it.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #23

A leave of absence usually means they don't pay you, but you still keep your position on your return... I don't see how the economy would cause such hardship for them to give you the leave.
Quote:
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #24

Exactly. I actually even said, that I'd return to the company with 0 senority, and as a laborer and they still turned it down.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #25
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

What about if you're on contract and the contract ends? Is this eligible too?
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote