REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Question

My sister was driving my car for some errands and she got pulled over for doing a rolling stop on kingsway and patterson (where the yield is). She got a 167 dollar ticket. I was wondering, am i at all affected by this? since the car is under my name?

thanks
Advertisement
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The only way you get into trouble is if you let her drive your car again and she gets hit while running another stop sign...then your insurance pays for it. Unless the VT is issued as "registered owner" and you are the owner and agree to take her ticket, your driving record cannot suffer...and an "RO" ticket comes with no points. You got off clean this time.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

thanks alot for clearing it up
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I see officers there looking for people doing that. They stand behind the green electrical box. It's funny, I saw them kind of tiptoeing to look over the box to see if anyone did not come to a complete stop.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Uh, WTH?

Ticket for a "rolling stop" on a Yield? As I understand, there's no need to stop on a Yield sign. I'm not going to demonize the police, but you might want to examine that ticket.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Exactly. As far as I know, you can roll through a yield sign.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
I don't get it

^that's exactly what I was thinking
though I didn't wanna post for fear that there's something I'm missing about yield signs.

Perhaps it was a case where there were enough cars that warrants a stop but the guy didn't stop completely and just blew into the gap? Even then that sounds weird to me..

on my class 5 road test to get onto the highway there was a yield sign but since there were no cars I didn't stop and wasn't penalized..

then again I missed a school zone and wasn't penalized
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

OK....didn't think this was that confusing.....YIELD.....you continue driving and YIELD to any traffic.....STOP....a complete cessation of forward movement. Then move forward when it is clear and continue driving. The STOP must be done at or BEFORE the stop line/crosswalk/sidewalk/intersecting curb, depending what is there. The actual stop sign is not where you stop, it simply orders you to stop.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
I don't get it

^
But as you said, "yield" means you continue driving and yield to traffic. There's no requirement to stop.

Then I guess the ticket was for not stopping at the stop line (assuming traffic was heavy and so one has no choice but to stop), but rolling through it and then stopped PAST the stop line?

that makes sense I guess

*EDIT*
there are NO stop lines for yield signs. Only potentially pedestrian crosswalks. There's no requirement to stop before the crosswalk if there are no pedestrians unless it's at an intersection with a red light, in which case you can't block the crosswalk.
So I can't see how you can get a rolling stop infraction for yield signs.

Last edited by E=mc˛; 08-08-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

there are 2 types of yeilds. A red yield and a green yield. A green yield (one facing a green light, or a yield sign with no lights present) means you can roll through and yield to any traffic present. A red yield (one facing a red light) means you must come to a complete stop, check for traffic, then proceed. I'm not familiar with the area this ticket was received, but if there's a light, then a right turn lane with an island and a yield sign on it, if the light was red, and she didn't stop before proceeding, then the ticket is valid.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

"186 Except when a peace officer directs otherwise, if there is a stop sign at an intersection, a driver of a vehicle must stop

(a) at the marked stop line, if any,

(b) before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or

(c) when there is neither a marked crosswalk nor a stop line, before entering the intersection, at the point nearest the intersecting highway from which the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting highway. "

It's simple...IF she did this, the ticket is not valid...if she did NOT, then the ticket IS valid.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobo View Post
My sister was driving my car for some errands and she got pulled over for doing a rolling stop on kingsway and patterson (where the yield is). She got a 167 dollar ticket. I was wondering, am i at all affected by this? since the car is under my name?

thanks
Zulu,

The question/issue I have have about the original post is highlighted. Apparently it wasn't a stop sign.

Incidentally...

Per schedule 1 Signs of the MVA (http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/...s/26_58_06.xml)

Quote:
STOP (Regulatory)
Come to a complete stop and only proceed when it is safe to do so.

YIELD (Regulatory)
Yield the right of way to all other traffic, stopping if necessary.
...so if it was a yield sign and not a stop sign I can't see how a ticket would be justified.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"186 Except when a peace officer directs otherwise, if there is a stop sign at an intersection, a driver of a vehicle must stop

(a) at the marked stop line, if any,

(b) before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or

(c) when there is neither a marked crosswalk nor a stop line, before entering the intersection, at the point nearest the intersecting highway from which the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting highway. "

It's simple...IF she did this, the ticket is not valid...if she did NOT, then the ticket IS valid.
But this isn't a stop sign, it's a yield sign.
It's one of those right turns where, theres a little turn off on the right with a yield sign. This is NOT the same as facing a red light or stop sign.
This is where I'm confused, because I'm sure there's no requirement to stop behind the stop line (in fact, there IS NO stop line) if the latter condition "stopping if necessary" was in play.

SOMETIMES however, there are zebra crossings for pedestrians, but if there are no pedestrians theres no requirement to stop behind the crosswalk (you don't stop at pedestrian crosswalks if there are no pedestrians after all). Most people stop PAST the crosswalk near the merge point. How on earth can you get a rolling stop infraction for yield signs??
The only time you are required to stop before the crosswalk is when you're at a stop sign or red light.

I take back what I said in my last post. I don't see how this ticket can be valid.

Last edited by E=mc˛; 08-08-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

As you re-posted my post above...if there was NO stop sign, then the ticket for not stopping at a stop sign canot be valid. Time for a disclosure request and some photographs of the intersection.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
I don't get it

^
lol I think I was just confused by your wording
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #16

If it's the one where you merge onto Kingsway from Grange St (it's the only place I know near Kingsway and Patterson that you merge onto Kingsway), then there is a stop sign right before the yield sign. That's what I was talking about. A lot of people miss that stop sign there and that's the place where cops hide behind the green electrical box and watch cars that don't come to a complete stop before creeping forward to try to merge.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

So they miss the stop sign that they see first, but see the yield sign which is past it? Go figure??
Old 08-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So they miss the stop sign that they see first, but see the yield sign which is past it? Go figure??
Since when does a stop sign mean "Stop" to your average driver?

Yield just means they don't even think about stopping!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #19
RS Peace Officer

'STOP' means
S top T o O ther P eople...not me????
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
If it's the one where you merge onto Kingsway from Grange St (it's the only place I know near Kingsway and Patterson that you merge onto Kingsway), then there is a stop sign right before the yield sign. That's what I was talking about. A lot of people miss that stop sign there and that's the place where cops hide behind the green electrical box and watch cars that don't come to a complete stop before creeping forward to try to merge.
That's the one I was thinking of, too... I think when the OP said "where the yield is" he meant "where the merge is". There's been a stop sign there for at least 20 years... I don't recall there being a yield sign AFTER that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #21

Not sure if there is a yield sign either, but I know the stop sign is there for sure. Lots of people (I've been guilty of it before too) but when you see the coast is clear, you want to gun it onto Kingsway before the cars come. Several times, I see the cars coming and if I stop at the Stop sign there, then I will not be able to make the merge and would have to wait till all the cars pass. I really hate that part. After seeing the enforcement there, I just do not go there anymore and if I do have to go that way, I just come to a complete stop and ignore the idiots behind that honk me. Usually, I'd go the longer way and get onto Kingsway before Patterson so I don't need to merge onto Kingsway from Grange.