REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Postponing Suspension?

I recently received a notice of intent to prohibit in the mail and I will be suspended for two months. However, this upcoming month will be a very busy and hectic time for me as I live in Maple Ridge and I will be working, job hunting around UBC, home-staying a friend of mine from Korea for two weeks, and moving into residence at UBC.

All in all, it is just a very inconvenient time at which I could receive a suspension and I was curious to know if I would be able to write a review of the decision to prohibit which would simply postpone my suspension to the beginning of October at which point I would serve my two month suspension.

Also, based on my driving record, do you think it would be possible if I could receive a reduction in suspension time? Keep in mind that I am still Class 7 (if it was not already obvious from my second offense).

26 MAR 2009 - 146.1 SPEED IN/OUTSIDE MUNICIPALITY
26 MAR 2009 - 30.13 FAIL TO DISPLAY "L" OR "N" SIGN
17 MAY 2009 - 25.15 DRIVE CONTRARY TO RESTRICTION (Too many passengers)

I realize that these offenses occurred in such a small frame of time and therefore I feel there is very little chance that I could receive a reduction in suspension time but I would just like to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Edit: One more question that I forgot to mention: The date on my letter is July 27, 2009 and it states that I have 21 days to make my decision (which will be August 17, 2009). If I was to submit a written request to review the suspension, I think that it would take a few weeks for it to be processed and replied to (correct me if I am wrong) ... in this time period, would I still be allowed to drive even if the letter is still being processed past August 17th? I am wondering this as I have to pick up my friend from the airport on August 26th from Korea.
Advertisement

Last edited by sjcho; 08-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.
sjcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
You could have been suspended on after the 26th. Fail to display L or N can be EASILY changed to driving contrary to restrictions.

The officer was being nice to you. And so what do you do again? Yeah, drive too many people, another driving contrary to restrictions. So do you really think they should be lenient to you? To someone who clearly has no regard for the system and its restrictions?

You can write a letter and hope for the best. That is the only thing you can do. I wouldn't hold my breath though. You should have thought about this "hectic" month prior to commenting the offenses listed.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
This has been covered here before. Read the letter carefully. It says you ARE prohibited as of the date they list. You may try to appeal BUT the prohibition IS IN EFFECT. IF they decide to lift it after you write, they will tell you that they have lifted the prohibition. Unless they tell you the prohibition is lifted/shortened you ARE prohibited.
Without seeing the actual wording on your letter, I believe it says your prohibition starts immediately on receipt of the registered letter you got. You may try to appeal and have 21 days to file that appeal, but in the meantime, your ARE prohibited when you got the letter. Please read it over. If you have any questions, call the MV Branch and get answers. Drive while prohibited and you get arrested, your car impounded, more tickets...you know the stuff...AND your insurance is not valid.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You could have been suspended on after the 26th. Fail to display L or N can be EASILY changed to driving contrary to restrictions.

The officer was being nice to you. And so what do you do again? Yeah, drive too many people, another driving contrary to restrictions. So do you really think they should be lenient to you? To someone who clearly has no regard for the system and its restrictions?

You can write a letter and hope for the best. That is the only thing you can do. I wouldn't hold my breath though. You should have thought about this "hectic" month prior to commenting the offenses listed.
I fully expect to serve my two month suspension and I certainly have learned my lesson through this experience, please don't mistake that. Rather, I was wondering if people have attempted to request their suspension to be postponed and whether or not they have been successful in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
This has been covered here before. Read the letter carefully. It says you ARE prohibited as of the date they list. You may try to appeal BUT the prohibition IS IN EFFECT. IF they decide to lift it after you write, they will tell you that they have lifted the prohibition. Unless they tell you the prohibition is lifted/shortened you ARE prohibited.
Without seeing the actual wording on your letter, I believe it says your prohibition starts immediately on receipt of the registered letter you got. You may try to appeal and have 21 days to file that appeal, but in the meantime, your ARE prohibited when you got the letter. Please read it over. If you have any questions, call the MV Branch and get answers. Drive while prohibited and you get arrested, your car impounded, more tickets...you know the stuff...AND your insurance is not valid.
The letter is a Notice of Intent to Prohibit, it is not a Notice of Prohibition.
I have read through the letter carefully and I am absolutely certain that I am not currently prohibited:
"You may choose to acknowledge and accept the Prohibition by signing and dating this form and returning it with your driver's licence within 21 days of this Notice. If you acknowledge and accept this notice, the prohibition will commence from the date of your signature."

As I am currently within this outlined 21 day period, I am not currently prohibited.

I have done a little more reading and from what I gather, after this 21 day period, I am prohibited; any subsequent actions (such as submitting a request for a review of the suspension) has no effect on the prohibition.

Damn.
sjcho is offline   Reply With Quote