REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Detailed - 1992 Toyota mr2

Thought I'd get some more details going in here. This is a friends car I did a few weeks back. This car was imported from Japan in terriable condition, I guess the owner didnt care to much. It came in with tons of RDS and swirls and paint chips missing covering I'd say about 90% of the car and super oxidized. It had the worst rims ive seen in a long time. They were almost rusted and severe pitted all over the place and that required wetsanding and a lot of polish, weird for alumium rims. So first off a trip to the local paint shop to get some touch up paint and some sand paper. I just did the outside of this car since the interior wasnt so bad ang I knew this was going to be awhile. On with the pictures and explanation.

Total Time - 16 hours ( Just Exterior )

Wash:

2 Bucket Wash w/Gold Class
Waffle Weave Shammy
Clayed With Megs Mild Clay and Quick Detailer as lube
Re Washed w/ 2 Bucket

Polish/Wax:

Poter Cable 7424
Menz Power Finish
w/ LC Orange and Green Pads
Megs #3 Machine Glaze
BH Auto Balm x 2

Rims and Tires:

303 Tires + Trim
Mothers Metal Polish
Lotta Wetsanding 800/1000/1500 paper

Heres just a quick pick of the car to give ya an Idea, I'll do a before and after thing here.

Ok, before shot after a quick wash. Doesnt look so bad in this picture but I assure you its just the lighting.

Heres also a pic of the Clay, I wish I took more pictures of the other pieces. After doing about 1/2 the hood one side was all black, Gross.

After shot

Heres a Before shot of the passenger door. Here you can see all the scratches and swirls in the paint. Also the Clear coat on the car was starting to fail in a few spots so had to be careful while polishing.

After

Same thing Drivers Side

Might I add these cars have some crazy curves in those vents makes it tricky to polish

Heres a rear shot of the car its quite ugly and oxidized

Also heres a shot of the bumper with the first stage of polishing starting

Rear Deck Done

Heres a few pics of the rims I was talking about

During Polishing

After

Heres a right after polishing shot of the hood

Heres an after shot of the wing. After Polishing and a little BH the flake just popped out.

Shot of the Fender, you can see some more of the flake. Only a few little marks left you can see, way better then before.

And Full Side

And a nice hood reflection

Another shot of the hood. Here you can see a couple of the pits that were down to the metal. Had to use some touch up paint and some polishing.

Few extras

There we go I think thats most of them. Wish I took more pics, oh well next time.
Advertisement

Last edited by bcty; 08-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.
bcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

nice job man, you brought those rims back to life too
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Good resurrection... those rims looked quite icky!
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Very nice!! Really brought those rims back to life.

Kev
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
^More like brought the whole car back to life.. Damn your buddy bought this car in that condition!?!?!?

Pics of wetsanding and touch up plz thx

Did you take off the wheels to polish them or just left them on the car, i'd assume it'd be easier if you took them off to get at it

Is the front bumper colour sorta mismatched? or is the lighting/angle?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The front bumper was repainted at some point (body kit) so it did look far better then the rest of the car. It did have the same swirling, pits and cracks everywhere. The whole car looks all even now. The pictures don't do it justice the car looked new after. I should have taken the rims off the car but didn't this time, next time the car comes back I'll polish up the inside of the rims. The car was bought in the winter time in the rain, terriable time to buy a car. So once it all drys up you see all the crap . I wish I had more pics of working on the rims but I was just so focused at the time to get it done haha. The shot of the polishing starting on the rear bumper pretty much sums up the whole car. Glad u guys liked it, I'll post up some more of my details soon.

Last edited by bcty; 08-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.
bcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Awesome job! That thing was hammered! Now that all you guys are posting I guess its time I put something up, eh?
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote