REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Opening a liquor store...

how hard is it to open a liquor store? What are the requirements to do so, is there a waiting list of some sort?
Advertisement
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

If only it were so easy...

Me, your, your uncle, your best friend would be opening one up left and right.

I've looked into it personally and trust me its not easy. Google is your best friend.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

First things first, it is all about the paperwork. Paperwork such as the liquor license for one is very long and tedious, often taking up to months to even get approved. Before that, you have to have a solid business plan and some proven experience to demonstrate to the city, you are actually legit.

Secondly, youll have to consult recommendably a lawyer regarding federal laws, city laws and most importantly zoning laws. You can not just build a liquor store anywhere you want, it gotta be approved. (can't build liquor store near kids daycare.. stuff like that)

Thirdly, it is the insurance that hurts the most. Liquor stores are one of the highest targeted stores for crime. Again, Insurance is tedious and if not, the most expensive cost incurred.

Opening up is not easy as sh0n puts it
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

well thought out business plan... when you write your business plan you'll know how hard it is...
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

I'm all for inquisitive questions and enterprenurial minds, but dude, you should think before you post. The market is controlled by the provincial gov't. Aside from the small independent stores that have liqour licenses, i think Liqour Barn may be one of the only private chains operating in the region. (is liqour depot here?) Anyways, you might want to look at some of the companies on the tsx that used to be (or still are) income trusts. Look at all their info/financials/strategy etc.

The gov't here buys all the liqour, then resells, to the private co's iirc. Add this all up and it doesn't look like too lucrative of a market to venture into. High capital required for inventory, low turnover,.... etc..... i could go on.
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

And not to mention the paperwork and pile of bullshit bureaucracy you would need to go through and get passed by the city and every piece of legislation.

xtacy777 pretty much sums up how you can approach to start a liquor store.

To chime in, last I've looked into the city of vancouver doesn't even't offer any liquor store license. To only way to get one as I'm slightly aware is to own a pre-existing business that has a liquor license (i.e a restaurant or pub) and then piggy back off that to open up and sell liquor as a liquor store.

You also need to be within zoning, your district and territory - you can't have 2 stores on the same block or within the same radius.

Even after that - I wouldn't want to imagine or think about how much money one would need to start up a liquor store

From getting the license, setting up shop, getting all the legal advice, incorporating, buying the inventory, training the staff - oh man...I should just stop
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

^Yeah. Well put.
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote