REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Nokia N85 Cellphone repair and a word of warning

Hi all, was wondering if you had any suggestions as to where I could take my Nokia N85 for repairs.

Recently, I plugged my phone into a wall charger unit, but due to the old age of my wall socket, the charger fell out and seemed to have shorted out the charging/pc interface port.

I'm planning on going to JPcellrepair tomorrow, since it was closed today, but are there any other places you guys would recommend?

On a related side note: Anyone in the future should stay away from cellmall/cpr phone repair. Their practices seem questionable. The sequence of events is as follows:

tldr version: cellmall probably broke my phone further, and acts suspiciously, refuses to just fix the one component I request, and paired with a $15 charge for each and any declined repair, seems to be trying to take customers for a ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I took my phone into them today, but I checked if my phone would power on before going to them.

-The only problem with my phone was that it could not charge or connect to the nokia pc suite, as it seemed the charging port got messed up somehow.

-The gentleman working at cellmall aka. cell phone repair (CPR) listened to my diagnosis, took it to the back since I told him there was little to no charge left, so he said he would charge it for a few minutes.

-Phone comes out earlier, he comes out a few moments after with the battery puts it in and suddenly my phone can't power up at all.

-He suddenly asks me if there was any water damage to the phone, which there has never been. He then informs me that replacing the charging port would be $70 bucks tax and labor. But tells me that if there's any other problem he'll call me.

-I'm apprehensive now but agree to allow him to replace the power unit, but as I'm going through the work order form I noticed at the bottom that there's a $15 charge for any repair that is declined.

-worried as to his previous statements, and somewhat sketchy nature of his behavior I ask him if I could just ensure that they just replace the power supply and nothing else as my phone worked fine aside from being able to charge.

-he then gives me this speech about how a phone is like a patient, and they'll have to diagnose things etc. etc. and taken in context with his water damage statement earlier and his unwillingness to just repair the component i requested, my suspicions increase.

-A c-lai lady joins in with her broken english telling me that the circuit board is definately broken, to which I had to tell her four times that the phone was working fine aside from being able to charge. She proclaims that I don't know what I'm talking about "you bring it to me so you listen".

-I inform her that i'm willing to pay $70 bucks for the part I know is broken, but I'm not about to be taken for a ride for a series of supposed repairs i'll need and pay an additional 15 bucks when i decline them.

-Then she tells me not only is it 15 bucks for a declined repair, its $15 for each declined repair. So they could theoretically claim all sorts of damage is done to the phone and trump up my bill.

-I ask them if they're registered with the BBB to which she refused to answer me. I later found out that they're not but that's beside the point.

-I tell them that I'll try my luck elsewhere, she hurriedly takes my sheet and puts it under the desk, which I noticed, and I tell her to hand me that work order form with all my information, to which she says its just for warranty. I rip it up and leave.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

I trust JP with all my phones. I wouldn't go anywhere else if I could help it. Thanks for your post, this is good to know.

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Man, after numerous threads, I cannot stress that it is a wise decision to go to the RS Sponsor, JP Cellular. He's service several of my phones throughout the years and always comes through.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
charged for declining a repair? oO ?? am i understanding that correctly....? if you have an issue that they don't touch they're going to charge you for not doing anything about it?

id just tell them to call the cops, take them to court... and maybe beat the shit out of them while im waiting for the cops and tell the police that you couldnt understand a word they were saying and they got angrier and the guy attacked you (then cross your fingers theres no cameras inside)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,952 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
charged for declining a repair? oO ?? am i understanding that correctly....? if you have an issue that they don't touch they're going to charge you for not doing anything about it?
D
Perhaps it was a inspection charge?
A lot of repair companies (Not necessarily cellphone repairs) charge a consultation fee just to take a look at it.
But then again, they should have told you before even touching the phone.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Yeah taking it to JPCellular tomorrow.

But regarding the sketchy guys at cellmall aka. cell phone repair it'd be one thing if it was a charge for $15 if I opted to not repair anything at all as a charge for their time, but I was told it would be a charge on top of any repairs I do agree to perform.

So say if i pay $70 bucks to fix my charging port, and they come up with 4 other issues.. that's another $60 bucks if I don't choose to have those repaired. But regardless lesson learned, don't take it to sketchy looking places with random repairmen who take your phone into a back room and molest it.

Update:

Thumbsup to JpCellular, guy looked at it told me he couldn't fix it, but sold me a wall charger and the phone powers up fine now. Unlike the other guys who told me my phone was magically fried and my battery was completely dead. Saved me a lot of hassle and trouble. Now i just gotta buy another BL-5K battery so I can minimize downtime.

Last edited by turbomelon; 08-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote