REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
battery for surefire light

as title. where can i get cr123a batteries use in high end flashlight like surefire light?

anybody took tactical flashlights on he plane with them before? like the ones with spiked bezel. technically its a flashlight not a weapon?
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Any photo store should have them; lotta cameras use them. Try London Drugs, Wally-world, Costco, Blacks, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

they are expensive, like almost 10 bucks for 1. i would think strike bezels shouldn't be allowed.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
they are expensive, like almost 10 bucks for 1. i would think strike bezels shouldn't be allowed.
holy shit. anybody know any cheaper source maybe online?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,403 Times in 553 Posts
dealextreme my friend. And while you're at it, there's loads of lights on there that are comparable to the lux output and power regulation of surefires on there, that use AA and AAA's to boot.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #6

thank you. dx get their stuff from china and i will be going there soon. I'm just a little uneasy about using chinese battery. exploding aside. all the chinese battery I have use as the kid eventually leak and break watever its in. I have lost so many remote cars due to crappy chinese battery as a kid

is the rechargeable ones any good? I did check out dx's flashlights I like the fenix offering they have but I eventually settle with the nitecore which I believe is also chinese made that is very small and from online review the brightest for its price.

surefire are overprice indeed.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

if you have a surefire i wouldn't use dx batteries. You can get surefire brand 123s in the states for cheaper. i.e http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-CB&lpage=none
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I randomly go online and order the cheapest cr123 I can find on ebay or wherever.
I've tried a few brands and never had a problem.

I'm assuming u mean the surefire defender light with the bezel?
shouldn't be a problem. it's not sharp, just angled in that particular way. you couldn't relaly stab someone with it.

From vegas to here this year I accidentally left my kabar folding 3 inch blade knife in my carry on. did they find it? nope.
I even saw my own carryon on the x-ray and they didn't see it.

so just throw it in with your carry on, turn it on if they ask and I can't see any problems.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
I randomly go online and order the cheapest cr123 I can find on ebay or wherever.
I've tried a few brands and never had a problem.

I'm assuming u mean the surefire defender light with the bezel?
shouldn't be a problem. it's not sharp, just angled in that particular way. you couldn't relaly stab someone with it.

From vegas to here this year I accidentally left my kabar folding 3 inch blade knife in my carry on. did they find it? nope.
I even saw my own carryon on the x-ray and they didn't see it.

so just throw it in with your carry on, turn it on if they ask and I can't see any problems.
i'm contemplating whether to bring my benchmade mini grip back with me to hk. But from what I heard carry any kind of sharp object is illegal in HK and totally frown upon. I get drunk alot in LKF dunt want to spent a night in holding cell or whatever just becuz i have a tool on me.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

btw the rechargable 123a's may be more economical but their power output is less than non-rechargables.

well I wore my leatherman all throughout HK, even in a suit it's probably in one of my pockets. I guess it depends on you. If you're prone to doing stupid stuff when you're drunk then leave it in the hotel room.
I figured I'd just play the dumb non-chinese speaking CBC if I got questioned.
worked on the customs guy at the hk airport. haha.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero
as title. where can i get cr123a batteries use in high end flashlight like surefire light?
Dave's Surplus in New Westminster sells Surefire lights and batteries, although Surefire batteries are never cheap. Gorilla Surplus on Broadway in Vancouver also has them I think. Don't cheap out on lithium batteries with unknown brands, there have been many horror stories on flashlight forums about exploding batteries.

Don't carry expensive flashlights with strike bezels with you to a flight (or in carry on baggage). Airport personnel can confiscate it without reason or warning. You won't need it on the flight anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
i'm contemplating whether to bring my benchmade mini grip back with me to hk. But from what I heard carry any kind of sharp object is illegal in HK and totally frown upon. I get drunk alot in LKF dunt want to spent a night in holding cell or whatever just becuz i have a tool on me.
wooo BM Mini-Grip is an awesome knife! I own the 555HG model, and I also have a 940 Osborne as well (no pics yet though). AXIS lock knives are fun.

In regards to travelling with your knife, I would leave it at home if its a short vacation. With airport/flight rules and local knife laws its a hassle. If you still insist on taking it, I would put it in checked luggage and read about local Hong Kong knife laws.

I recently went to Japan and read about their 2-inch maximum blade length law, and also read about many tourists running into problems with the police even with legal blades. I didn't bother bringing a knife with me, even though I found it an inconvenience on a daily basis.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Warriors and Wonders on Cambie and 18th.

My favourite store in Vancouver is probably now the biggest supplier of Surefire and Benchmade in Canada.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

if you're going to bring it, your best bet is to check it in, and not carry it on.

If they won't even allow a nail clipper to be carried on, i highly doubt a tactical flashlight will be allowed.

Heck..if you were on a flight sitting next to some guy you don't know with a tactical flashlight, wouldn't you be a bit nervous? I wouldn't yell "terrorist", but I'd ask myself why he has one.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #14
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post

My favourite store in Vancouver is probably now the biggest supplier of Surefire and Benchmade in Canada.
werd. that's where i get my boxes of surefire batteries.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post

Its about time they started selling Benchmade. I remember discovering this store about a year ago and found it odd that they had all major brands except for Benchmade.

Just checked their prices and its very competitive compared to Dave's Surplus in New West, the only other local retailer of Benchmade that I know of.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post

wooo BM Mini-Grip is an awesome knife! I own the 555HG model, and I also have a 940 Osborne as well (no pics yet though). AXIS lock knives are fun.

Axis Locks are cool, I have a small blue and yellow Griptillian one myself along with a Mchenry and Williams 710. Got my eye on the Presidio 520. I might pay Warrirors and Wonders a visit this weekend.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote