REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #26
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
might try skinnypupp's hamburg do they sell panko at safeway?

so i just started to live alone and i want to cook my own meals and not eat out- real meals not just instant noodles.

last night i made speghetti with some ragu sauce and browned some ground beef.

it was bad and i'm pretty happy i actually cooked something! LOl now i just need some other recipes perferably easy to make and filling =)
Advertisement
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
You can probably easily find panko at Yaohan or T&T. But who knows, maybe safeway has it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #28
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

6AM-7AM gym, followed by veggie juice using carrots, celery, apple. Breakfast of leftover rice/baked chicken/veggies.

Lunch - sandwich or pasta
Dinner - baked chicken in salad with shredded tomato, carrots, spring onions, cheddar cheese

I try to eat red meat only 2x/week as its bad for you in the long run.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I try to eat red meat only 2x/week as its bad for you in the long run.
O RLY
Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #30
ddr
Snapping away

woah man that's a lot of cholesterol . . .
but will have to try heh
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonone View Post
woah man that's a lot of cholesterol . . .
but will have to try heh
So? It's all good healthy cholesterol.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #32
ddr
Snapping away

well i'm genetically inclined to have high cholesterol so the doctors told me to start taking it easy when choosing foods
1 egg is already 2xxmg cholesterol and my recommended is 300
i'm not sure i can fill myself with your yummy recipes

and what's good saturated fat?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #33

Your doctor is basing everything on really old research, and he has a lot of catching up to do. I know you won't want to listen to "some guy on the internet" but I highly recommend finding a new doctor who is up on the latest news, not one that will encourage unhealthy eating and will eventually put you on statins leading you to an early death. At least open your eyes to it, and decide for yourself, because your doctor is leading you down one path you may not want to take if you know the end result.

And please, for the love of life, do not go to the AHA for health advice.

You should read this, which I think is an excerpt from Dr Gary Taubes' book. It basically focuses on how the whole "saturated fat is bad for you" myth got started.

Dr Taubes also wrote a very long column for the NY Times, and you should read the entire thing.

Also you can read this published paper, from Drs. Sally Fallon and Mary Enig

I also think you should read this funny blog post, because it somewhat relates to you (a guy with high cholesterol who doesn't follow his doctor's advice, and his doctor can't believe it). He eats a diet of 70% fat, has a family history of heart disease (his brother died and his dad had major heart surgery) and when they did a heart scan looking for plaque, they found... Well I won't give it away. But his doctor told him "that's impossible!"

You can also watch this short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE

which uses latest WHO data to explain that there is literally no connection between cholesterol levels and heart disease.

As far as "good cholesterol", you can't just look at numbers. There are two important parts to look at: The ratio of HDL ("good" cholesterol) to LDL ("bad" cholesterol), and the ratio of "good" LDL (larger particles, easy for our body to shuttle) to "bad" LDL (densely packed, sticks to surfaces). The best way to do this is eat a lot of natural saturated fat. Animal fat, coconut oil, etc. Yes, those things contain LDL, but the LDL they have is "good" LDL, so is not a problem at all. And the amount of HDL they give you far outweighs any bad aspects. In other words, they increase your cholesterol, but put your ratio of good-to-bad back to a healthy level. Hell even in Fat-Head, the guy ate McDonalds every day for a month, 3 times a day, and the doctor couldn't believe how good his cholesterol was (his triglycerides were not great though, from all the fried he ate).

So don't worry about cholesterol if it's coming from good sources. Eggs, meat, saturated vegetal fat. It's all good! What you need to do is cut down the sugar from your diet. And if you are using "vegetable" oil, such as corn, rapeseed (canola), soybean, etc. STOP NOW. That it what's going to kill you, not a couple of eggs a day
Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #34
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I'm only a high school senior so I obviously have a messed up diet...either I put the meals together or my mom does in the morning.

Breakfast-Usually some kind of meat (either bacon+eggs or last night's dinner)+rice, odd cereal+toast

Lunch- Varies, sometimes cold cut sandwiches, pre-made burgers, sometimes meat+rice (the first two use garbage meats, I need to get in the habit of mass-producing my custom burger patties), granola bar on the side.

Dinner- Typically Meat+Rice, odd spaghetti night from mother.

FUCK I know that it's bad (especially the carb overload, but it gets me through the day and it's been my diet since I was like 12), but I have a hard time trying to integrate vegetables into the meals, especially in the rice dishes and considering that if I cooked myself in the morning, I have less than an hour to cook a lunch for me and my brother. Anyone got any good recipes they can share that even I could cook quickly? (looking at you SkinnyPupp, those ones you posted I can do, I'm just short on the ingredients lol)
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #35

For veggies I just keep it really simple. I buy whatever leafy green is on sale at the supermarket (baby bak choi, choi sum, tong choi, cabbage, etc) and lightly fry it up in some coconut oil. Sprinkle a bit of salt on it, and you have a nice 'pure' flavour veggy with extra "good fat". Just make a huge dish of it, and eat it by the handful. It's not hard to skip rice and pasta when you can fill yourself up with copious amounts of veggies

I don't know what the prices are like in Canada, but I assume Chinese veggies are probably cheaper than Canadian vegetables. Be sure not to get organic, that's just a waste of money.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
what every the hell i feel like lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote