REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

ICBC reducing optional rates thanks to good financial results

Quote:
Three per cent drop in optional rates starting October 1

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Another good financial quarter for ICBC will mean a reduction in optional insurance rates starting October 1st. And ICBC is giving some of the credit to drivers.

The good financial report means ICBC can stick by its previously announced commitment to reduce rates on October 1st. While reducing optional rates by about three per cent, ICBC is leaving basic rates the same.

ICBC's Adam Grossman says good weather over the last six months, streamlined claims-handling procedures, and a slow in the growth in the number of cars on the road have all helped. "Our claims costs are down by $50 million for the second quarter of 2009 over the second quarter of 2008. Particularly, we're seeing a decline in the number and the total cost of injury claims. Primarily for this, a big thank you to customers for driving safely out there."

Grossman says the extra profits will also fund much needed improvements to customer service systems and ICBC's road safety education programs.

Advertisement

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
[/i]

wow, nice,

did they say, what areas they will be increasing rates? pretty sure in the end people will be paying more. one way or another.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Grossman says the extra profits will also fund much needed improvements to customer service systems and ICBC's road safety education programs.
soo, I guess they are getting a riase. Then next year when there isn't much of a profit, they will increase insurance cost to pay for their wages.
Am i partly correct?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
so.

compulsory coverage = no decrease <- monopoly.
optional Comprehensive/collision = 3% decrease. <- choice to go 3rd party.

not surprising. 2 birds 1 stone. Make it competitive for optional 3rd party insurance providers, putting pressure on while appealing to the general public by offering a discount that doesn't really change that much.

I'll clap when they offer that same discount to basic monopolized coverage.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by !NiteRaven View Post
so.

compulsory coverage = no decrease <- monopoly.
optional Comprehensive/collision = 3% decrease. <- choice to go 3rd party.

not surprising. 2 birds 1 stone. Make it competitive for optional 3rd party insurance providers, putting pressure on while appealing to the general public by offering a discount that doesn't really change that much.

I'll clap when they offer that same discount to basic monopolized coverage.
That's what I was thinking, looks like they're trying to be more aggressive competing against 3rd party insurance.

Since when have they not posted massive profits?
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
I'm invisible

Optional coverages with ICBC is still quite expensive. I believe that even with a 3% reduction in private coverages, the premiums are still expensive. With all the different insurance companies that I deal with, the cheapest one for majority of the population I would say is CDI.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
ICBC screws up -> rates go up

ICBC does good -> rates go down ; Exec's get bonus ; followed by a rate increase following year due to fund shortages..

sounds about right... i love paying more for other peoples learning experiences.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
3% doesn't really add up, i think i'd still choose a 3rd party company...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote