REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   BC License + AB Speeding Ticket = To Pay or Not to Pay? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/585876-bc-license-ab-speeding-ticket-%3D-pay-not-pay.html)

Silversol 08-14-2009 02:05 PM

BC License + AB Speeding Ticket = To Pay or Not to Pay?

Back in June while I was in Edmonton, I got a speeding ticket on a rental car I rented over there.

Now that I've been back in Vancouver for a month and a bit, I thought I don't have to pay for the ticket... until I received a Notice of Conviction today =/

I have been hearing from a couple of people that I don't have to pay for the ticket since.

1. I'm driving a different car now.
2. I am out of AB's vehicle law jurisdiction

But I would like to hear a legitimate answer from someone on this board as well.

Thanks.

zulutango 08-14-2009 07:19 PM

YOu may want to call ICBC/MVB and ask that question. I think you will not be happy with the reply. You have not escaped justice.

PACER 08-14-2009 08:58 PM

currenlty there is no reciprocal agreement between the provinces. that may change, but they will put a warrant out for your arrest for non payment. That is likely to do two things.

1 Will cause you grief when and if you are stopped locally because it will show up when they run your name and it makes you look bad in the eyes of the law if you have outstanding warrants from other juridictions (not taking responsibitly for your actions.

2 if you go back to alberta at some point and get stopped you will go to jail..... makes for a rotten visit.

CRS 08-14-2009 09:36 PM

What is up with all these new accounts posting on the police forum?!

POST WITH YOUR ORIGINAL ACCOUNTS AND STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME.

JHatta 08-14-2009 10:42 PM

people don't want to tarnish their anonymous RS accounts because of all the sweet rep you get on the internetz

Qmx323 08-14-2009 10:47 PM

Hey I killed a man in Washington state, so if the jurisdiction is only in the USA, will Canadian police come after me?

Yeah, you have to pay it, its still tacked onto YOUR name, YOUR DL#.

Unless BC doesn't recognize this offense. Which I doubt. Just pay the ticket.

Smoke Show 08-15-2009 08:29 PM

2 tickets in alberta.. never paid. one in my diesel, one in a rental. the cop that gave me the second ticket never said a damn thing about my first ticket and they were a year apart.. its been 5 years or so now.. maybe more and i've been stopped several times since.

chris_89T 08-17-2009 12:49 PM

Just pay the damn thing. Personally, unless you NEVER plan on stopping in Alberta including flights, i wouldnt recommend trying to dodge that ticket. If it was me, id put money on it, my flight would stop in alberta, cops would board the plane and id get pulled out at gun point for a 196$ speeding ticket.

Just pay it, you were in the wrong doing, man up to it, I dont know anyone who enjoys paying tickets, but hey, if you dont like paying them, then dont commit the crime!

fukkeneh240 08-17-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_89T (Post 6550970)
Personally, unless you NEVER plan on stopping in Alberta including flights, i wouldnt recommend trying to dodge that ticket. If it was me, id put money on it, my flight would stop in alberta, cops would board the plane and id get pulled out at gun point for a 196$ speeding ticket.

huh?
something doesnt make sense here.

chris_89T 08-17-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 (Post 6550990)
huh?
something doesnt make sense here.

Meh one of those hypothetical situations. My luck runs tends to run on the unlucky side. If i had of received a ticket out of BC, if i were to take a flight somewhere, my flight would stop over at the place i received a ticket, while waiting to leave, cops would enter the plane pull me out at gun point with a warrent for my arrest because of a ticket i didnt pay 3 years ago or whatever the situation may be.

Basically the point i was trying to convey, is to just pay the damn thing, the normal speeding ticket is what, 168 or 196? unless it was excessive speed?

fukkeneh240 08-17-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_89T (Post 6551070)
Meh one of those hypothetical situations. My luck runs tends to run on the unlucky side. If i had of received a ticket out of BC, if i were to take a flight somewhere, my flight would stop over at the place i received a ticket, while waiting to leave, cops would enter the plane pull me out at gun point with a warrent for my arrest because of a ticket i didnt pay 3 years ago or whatever the situation may be.

Basically the point i was trying to convey, is to just pay the damn thing, the normal speeding ticket is what, 168 or 196? unless it was excessive speed?

haha.. like LEO's are going to waste their time to execute a traffic related warrant in an airport. many people with criminal histories/records/warrants successfully travel on planes (within Canada).

i think at the end of the day, the OP is just cheap and immature.

mtnrat 09-08-2009 10:44 PM

It is your choice.

jlenko 09-08-2009 11:00 PM

If you got a ticket in a rental car... wouldn't the police go after the rental car company, who would in turn come after you?

You might want to look into your rental contract you signed for the car. If you used your credit card to pay for the car, they may tack the ticket onto there if you continue to ignore it...

Keep us posted, Mr. Anonymous! :)

sho_bc 09-09-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6583679)
If you got a ticket in a rental car... wouldn't the police go after the rental car company, who would in turn come after you?

I've dealt with Budget Rentals a few times for tickets, and they've generally been pretty good about telling me to issue the ticket to them and that they'll in turn add the cost to the renter's total.

ocyrus411 09-23-2009 09:16 PM

i got a careless driving ticket for 400 on march 21st, 09 while i was living in edmonton (w/ BC driver's license) and havent paid it or heard anything about it since. but i havent been pulled over recently either, i always keep my cop scope out