REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

BC License + AB Speeding Ticket = To Pay or Not to Pay?

Back in June while I was in Edmonton, I got a speeding ticket on a rental car I rented over there.

Now that I've been back in Vancouver for a month and a bit, I thought I don't have to pay for the ticket... until I received a Notice of Conviction today =/

I have been hearing from a couple of people that I don't have to pay for the ticket since.

1. I'm driving a different car now.
2. I am out of AB's vehicle law jurisdiction

But I would like to hear a legitimate answer from someone on this board as well.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
YOu may want to call ICBC/MVB and ask that question. I think you will not be happy with the reply. You have not escaped justice.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

currenlty there is no reciprocal agreement between the provinces. that may change, but they will put a warrant out for your arrest for non payment. That is likely to do two things.

1 Will cause you grief when and if you are stopped locally because it will show up when they run your name and it makes you look bad in the eyes of the law if you have outstanding warrants from other juridictions (not taking responsibitly for your actions.

2 if you go back to alberta at some point and get stopped you will go to jail..... makes for a rotten visit.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
What is up with all these new accounts posting on the police forum?!

POST WITH YOUR ORIGINAL ACCOUNTS AND STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

people don't want to tarnish their anonymous RS accounts because of all the sweet rep you get on the internetz

Last edited by skidmark; 09-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,527 Times in 834 Posts
Hey I killed a man in Washington state, so if the jurisdiction is only in the USA, will Canadian police come after me?

Yeah, you have to pay it, its still tacked onto YOUR name, YOUR DL#.

Unless BC doesn't recognize this offense. Which I doubt. Just pay the ticket.

Last edited by skidmark; 09-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
faster than hypa

2 tickets in alberta.. never paid. one in my diesel, one in a rental. the cop that gave me the second ticket never said a damn thing about my first ticket and they were a year apart.. its been 5 years or so now.. maybe more and i've been stopped several times since.
RSUV #9
'03 suby; kills: 4 trannys, 1 motor, 1 turbo, 1 clutch.. sure the hell ain't a trailer queen
'08 summit xp 800R 154": mbrp and of course some clutching upgrades... i love this thing.
Smoke Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Just pay the damn thing. Personally, unless you NEVER plan on stopping in Alberta including flights, i wouldnt recommend trying to dodge that ticket. If it was me, id put money on it, my flight would stop in alberta, cops would board the plane and id get pulled out at gun point for a 196$ speeding ticket.

Just pay it, you were in the wrong doing, man up to it, I dont know anyone who enjoys paying tickets, but hey, if you dont like paying them, then dont commit the crime!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_89T View Post
Personally, unless you NEVER plan on stopping in Alberta including flights, i wouldnt recommend trying to dodge that ticket. If it was me, id put money on it, my flight would stop in alberta, cops would board the plane and id get pulled out at gun point for a 196$ speeding ticket.

huh?
something doesnt make sense here.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post
huh?
something doesnt make sense here.

Meh one of those hypothetical situations. My luck runs tends to run on the unlucky side. If i had of received a ticket out of BC, if i were to take a flight somewhere, my flight would stop over at the place i received a ticket, while waiting to leave, cops would enter the plane pull me out at gun point with a warrent for my arrest because of a ticket i didnt pay 3 years ago or whatever the situation may be.

Basically the point i was trying to convey, is to just pay the damn thing, the normal speeding ticket is what, 168 or 196? unless it was excessive speed?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_89T View Post
Meh one of those hypothetical situations. My luck runs tends to run on the unlucky side. If i had of received a ticket out of BC, if i were to take a flight somewhere, my flight would stop over at the place i received a ticket, while waiting to leave, cops would enter the plane pull me out at gun point with a warrent for my arrest because of a ticket i didnt pay 3 years ago or whatever the situation may be.

Basically the point i was trying to convey, is to just pay the damn thing, the normal speeding ticket is what, 168 or 196? unless it was excessive speed?
haha.. like LEO's are going to waste their time to execute a traffic related warrant in an airport. many people with criminal histories/records/warrants successfully travel on planes (within Canada).

i think at the end of the day, the OP is just cheap and immature.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

It is your choice.

Last edited by mtnrat; 09-08-2009 at 10:58 PM.
mtnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you got a ticket in a rental car... wouldn't the police go after the rental car company, who would in turn come after you?

You might want to look into your rental contract you signed for the car. If you used your credit card to pay for the car, they may tack the ticket onto there if you continue to ignore it...

Keep us posted, Mr. Anonymous!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
If you got a ticket in a rental car... wouldn't the police go after the rental car company, who would in turn come after you?
I've dealt with Budget Rentals a few times for tickets, and they've generally been pretty good about telling me to issue the ticket to them and that they'll in turn add the cost to the renter's total.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

i got a careless driving ticket for 400 on march 21st, 09 while i was living in edmonton (w/ BC driver's license) and havent paid it or heard anything about it since. but i havent been pulled over recently either, i always keep my cop scope out
ocyrus411 is offline   Reply With Quote