REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Legality of Purchasing Stolen Goods unknowingly

I always wonder, what could happen to a purchaser who (unknowingly) brought a stolen item from someone.

For example, if I were to go on Craiglist, meet up with a seller and purchase a set of rims or a guitar from him, then later, the item turned out to be stolen.
(For example, the original owner spotted your car with his stolen rims and calls the cops) What would or could happen to the buyer?

He purchased the item from a legitimate transaction, and paid cash for it.
So my main questions:
1) Does the buyer get to keep the stolen item? (My guess is probably no..lol)
2) Could the purchaser get into trouble…i.e. charged with possession of stolen property…etc?

*I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything in the first 2 page.
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
I always wonder, what could happen to a purchaser who (unknowingly) brought a stolen item from someone.

For example, if I were to go on Craiglist, meet up with a seller and purchase a set of rims or a guitar from him, then later, the item turned out to be stolen.
(For example, the original owner spotted your car with his stolen rims and calls the cops) What would or could happen to the buyer?

He purchased the item from a legitimate transaction, and paid cash for it.
It would not be a legitimate transaction as the seller never legally possessed/owned it.

Quote:
So my main questions:
1) Does the buyer get to keep the stolen item? (My guess is probably no..lol)
Correct. The items are stolen property and would be seized as such.

Quote:
2) Could the purchaser get into trouble…i.e. charged with possession of stolen property…etc?
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...:l_IX-gb:s_354
Having a suspicion that the property you're about to buy might be a sign to pass up the "deal". Depending on the situation, someone crafty enough might be able to get a Report to Crown Counsel for charges approved.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
It would come down to a "reasonable man" situation. Would a reasonable man think that a set of rims worth $3000 were being legitimately sold for $250...or $500? . If the deal was "too good to be true", then it was. They would also look at the total circumstances to see if you should have known. Eg...ATV with vin missing, no bill of sale, seller didn't give a receipt, you bought it in a bar, at midnite, from the trunk of a car...you know the stuff. The old story about never buying a TV from a guy out of breath, or expecting warranty coverage on anything sold from the trunk of a 73 chevvy...is true. When caught, you loose the stolen property, you loose what you paid and cold be charged with receiving stolen property as well. When considering a purchase from "Midnite Auto", keep in mind that they could be selling your rims next time to someone else.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
True story: friend of mine once bought a small "used" drum machine from a local, reputable music store. Couple years later, he decided he didn't need it anymore, so he took it to a pawn shop (this was WAY before Craigslist). The shop dutifully ran the serial number... and a few minutes later, my buddy found himself surrounded by cops. Turns out, yep... the thing was listed as stolen (didn't help that buddy's a big scary-looking native guy!)

FORTUNATELY, he still had his original receipt from the music store, and even had it with him, so he was spared a ride "downtown".

Funny thing, too... years later, he was coming from working downtown to meet up with us at the old Knight & Day in Richmond (this was at about 3am), and went through a road check on the way... cop looked in the window at him, and the first words out of his mouth were, "What did I arrest you for?" Turns out it was one of the same cops that attended at that stolen-drum-machine call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

it's called buyer beware, if item is stolen, it will get confiscated.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

once I was selling some of my old rims at chevron and the cops came by ant though they were stolen. but I had serial numbers engraved on them and the original receipt.

didn't help that it was like 1AM and we were kinda lurking in the corner of the parking lot
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
So, I guess the real victim here is the buyer who got scammed. I doubt he gets his money back.......
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The "Real" victim is the householder who has to live with the thoughts that somebody broke into their personal space and stole from them. Ask your gf/wife if THAT would bother them. They are also victimized because they get hit for the insurance deductable.
The other policy holders who have their rates go up are also victims. The person who bought a "deal" is not a victim, they are an accessory after the fact to theft and posession of stolen property....unless they bought it from a pawn shop or some other legitimate store or under 100%legitimate circumstances..
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

the lesson here is if you're going to be in ANY of the above mentioned positions (namely seller(stealer)/unwitting purchaser/first owner (victim)...the one that seems the safest would be the one stealing