REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

being charged for false alarm?

so long story short (kind of), gf was on her way home from work when she got a call from the alarm company saying her house alarm is going off. the company said the motion sensor was triggered from her bedroom (two story house in a nice part of Surrey).

they basically told her that they could call the police for her to attend the house, BUT if it was a false alarm then the police would charge her. so, she decided not to have the police called thinking it could have been something that just fell to the floor and triggering the alarm and was scared of being charged by the police for a false alarm.

this doesn't sound right at all to me. why would the police charge a person for a false home alarm? my girlfriend isn't a big girl and doesn't know any self defense, so she was pretty scared to go home.

if that were me, i would want the police to attend. you don't know 100% if it's a false alarm. what if it wasn't a false alarm and she was attacked.

is this common practice to charge a person for having a LEO attend a home alarm call and turning out to be nothing but a falling object? what could the charge be? causing a disturbance? mischief under or to a dwelling house?
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

something tells me they meant a dollar figure and not a criminal charge... LOL

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post
so long story short (kind of), gf was on her way home from work when she got a call from the alarm company saying her house alarm is going off. the company said the motion sensor was triggered from her bedroom (two story house in a nice part of Surrey).

they basically told her that they could call the police for her to attend the house, BUT if it was a false alarm then the police would charge her. so, she decided not to have the police called thinking it could have been something that just fell to the floor and triggering the alarm and was scared of being charged by the police for a false alarm.

this doesn't sound right at all to me. why would the police charge a person for a false home alarm? my girlfriend isn't a big girl and doesn't know any self defense, so she was pretty scared to go home.

if that were me, i would want the police to attend. you don't know 100% if it's a false alarm. what if it wasn't a false alarm and she was attacked.

is this common practice to charge a person for having a LEO attend a home alarm call and turning out to be nothing but a falling object? what could the charge be? causing a disturbance? mischief under or to a dwelling house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisQo View Post
something tells me they meant a dollar figure and not a criminal charge... LOL
Awesome.

Misunderstandings.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Your girlfriend needs a better home security company!! Not just a monitoring company... kinda useless.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
according to my friend, who works at a security company (basically the same position as the guy that made the phone call to your gf) anyways you get 1 free false alarm a year after that you will be charged a fee.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I lol'd
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Seeing that 99.9% of alarms are false, often due to user screwups or something like pets or wind triggering motion detectors, Police are tired of wasting resources on false alarms. Most municiplaities will fine you for fales alarms if the Police attend. Some have a threshold of a certain number of free false alarms, then an escalating fine that compounds each new time.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Seeing that 99.9% of alarms are false, often due to user screwups or something like pets or wind triggering motion detectors, Police are tired of wasting resources on false alarms. Most municiplaities will fine you for fales alarms if the Police attend. Some have a threshold of a certain number of free false alarms, then an escalating fine that compounds each new time.
gf said the alarm company told her that the police would charge her. so I guess they meant a dollar figure.

so you would actually get a ticket from the attending LEO?

what's the point of having an alarm then?

I think I would just get a big dog and call it a day.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
It's the same thing as the fire department. You call in a false alarm, they charge you something like $50 for the attendance. You don't get a ticket, I don't even know why you or she would think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The municipality would likely get the bylaw folks to give her a ticket or it could be added to the property taxes for the year and collected that way. The attending Police would not issue a VT.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
gf said the alarm company told her that the police would charge her. so I guess they meant a dollar figure.

so you would actually get a ticket from the attending LEO?

what's the point of having an alarm then?

I think I would just get a big dog and call it a day.
well how did your gf know the alarm was going off? oh ya, the company called her. because that's what they are supposed to do. the police aren't a personal security service to check on whatever you want. your house, your responsibility. there's a huge difference between a single motion sensor triggered or a front door and multiple motion sensors.

neighbours and friends can get there about well before the police ever arrives. or you can hire a guard service. 99.9% of all alarms are false. especially anything during the day. OR you man up and suck up a fine IF it's false.

most municipalities don't even attend alarms during the day. it's designed to cut down on the bullshit. i know almost no municipalities attend commercial alarms during the day short of panic/hold up alarms. why? because people are stupid and it's more cost effective to bet that it's a mistake as opposed to a real alarm, every time.

you're obviously the type to jump the gun. and too stupid to call the security company back for an explanation. so i imagine you'd be the first to shit on how much resources the police waste if you realized how much man hours was wasted on this.

btw: you really are an idiot if you think leaving a big dog at home by itself all day is a security system. as a dog person and a person in security your statements are complete fail.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
99.9% of all alarms are false. especially anything during the day. OR you man up and suck up a fine IF it's false.

most municipalities don't even attend alarms during the day. .

Usually, most residential break & enters happen between 9am-5pm during daylight hours when residents aren't home. At least that's the recorded stats from my municipality.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
^^ true. my house was broken into during the day as well... and i got an alarm installed after it was broken into. i understand that its not the popo's job so babysit my house, but when someone calls and reports and break-in, it is their responsibility to go an investigate. i know they would rather sunbathe at a speed trap, but it doesnt take much effort to get in the car, drive down to the house, and see if there are any doors kicked in/windows broken...
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyvious View Post
according to my friend, who works at a security company (basically the same position as the guy that made the phone call to your gf) anyways you get 1 free false alarm a year after that you will be charged a fee.
depends on which muni you live in and what's the bylaw.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I was taken to the emergency by ambulance
and they too charge $50
mind you that is hugely subsidize already . If I don't have medical , the cost will be somewhere in the $600
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

Your girlfriend's family should be talking to customer service to clarify policy and procedures about the incident.

Quote:
Over the years, the patchwork of different detachments and municipalities in Metro Vancouver were tired of attending alarms call which were most of the time false. They were cutting into other response times for other priorities so different cities had different bylaws in place to create a reduction of calls for false alarms.

Example:http://vancouver.ca/police/media/lin...%20SERVICE.pdf

If a PC does attend a call and finds everything secure, an infraction is created and is billed by the city to either the house or the alarm company which is shown in their next invoice. They wouldn't charge the homeowner mischief or causing a disturbance but overtime more alarms usually means more $$$ out of your pockets (if they keep attending for false alarms).

Last edited by l2_narain; 08-19-2009 at 08:54 AM.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
It's the same thing as the fire department. You call in a false alarm, they charge you something like $50 for the attendance. You don't get a ticket, I don't even know why you or she would think that.
well, let's see... my gf is not in LE and "many" people pay fines through tickets. So if I am wrong, then I admit I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The municipality would likely get the bylaw folks to give her a ticket or it could be added to the property taxes for the year and collected that way. The attending Police would not issue a VT.
Thanks ZT. Learned some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
well how did your gf know the alarm was going off? oh ya, the company called her. because that's what they are supposed to do. the police aren't a personal security service to check on whatever you want. your house, your responsibility. there's a huge difference between a single motion sensor triggered or a front door and multiple motion sensors.

you're obviously the type to jump the gun. and too stupid to call the security company back for an explanation. so i imagine you'd be the first to shit on how much resources the police waste if you realized how much man hours was wasted on this.

btw: you really are an idiot if you think leaving a big dog at home by itself all day is a security system. as a dog person and a person in security your statements are complete fail.
I don't have an alarm, so I do not have experience with them nor do I know the procedures. I never claimed to be an expert in this subject. That's why I am asking here. You're the one that seems to be jumping the gun here and assuming things. Did I even mention anything negative about LEO's or resources? I was asking if this was common practice.

My statements are complete fail you say? Since you "seem" to know all about security and you're are a dog person, then you should know that studies have shown, that houses with dogs are less likely to be broken into than those that have no security system.

oh well, maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today
Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
Your girlfriend's family should be talking to customer service to clarify policy and procedures about the incident.

Over the years, the patchwork of different detachments and municipalities in Metro Vancouver were tired of attending alarms call which were most of the time false. They were cutting into other response times for other priorities so different cities had different bylaws in place to create a reduction of calls for false alarms.

Example:http://vancouver.ca/police/media/lin...%20SERVICE.pdf

If a PC does attend a call and finds everything secure, an infraction is created and is billed by the city to either the house or the alarm company which is shown in their next invoice. They wouldn't charge the homeowner mischief or causing a disturbance but overtime more alarms usually means more $$$ out of your pockets (if they keep attending for false alarms).

Thanks for this info. I will have my gf check with her alarm company about their policies in regards to this.