REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #76
Banned (ABWS)

and what's up with their jamaican accents
Advertisement
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #77
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

WICKED MOVIE

VISUAL ORGASM
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #78
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

caught the movie yesterday, honestly wtf is the big hype about this movie? heard good reviews and everything so i gave this blue freak movie a chance. the beginning was disappointing to me, but i waited because i figured it was probably just going to get better and better, complete opposite. at least it was a good nap, thanks james cameron.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #79
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Visually the movie was fine, however in terms of an actual cohesive experience this movie was terrible.

I'm all for the suspension of belief, and using your imagination, but when you introduce characters and give them goals and ideals, you don't just have them do a bunch of random things that go completely contrary to what their established personality is, to try to keep the movie going.

The aliens were pretty much .. take any animal throw another pair of legs up front make em breath from their necks and add double sets of things they normally wouldnt have doubles of. Effectively fern gully meets dances with wolves but with insanely lazy character development.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #80
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
6.8/10 (all points for the visuals, story was unoriginal and preachy)

Movie should've been narrated by Al Gore and a First Nations/Aboriginal Chief. Personally, I was rooting for the mechs and helicopters to rip them apart.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #81
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
It was a good movie and all, but the plot lines were way too predictable, the 3D was absolute garbage in my opinion. I could of watched this movie on my computer and would of been the exact same.

This Movie didnt even close to the hype.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #82
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
It was a good movie and all, but the plot lines were way too predictable, the 3D was absolute garbage in my opinion. I could of watched this movie on my computer and would of been the exact same.

This Movie didnt even close to the hype.
Ok I thought the movie plotline was ok but visually the movie was insane. I don't know what you were Watching but 3d was freaking awesome
Posted via RS Mobile
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #83
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Okay guys, I think you're missing the point.

take a look at all of james cameron's movies, none of the plots are very good regardless. they're typical movie plots, but slightly directed in a better way.

but here's the thing with all his movies, they always showcase really cool technological advances in cinematics, which ADDS to story lines because we are visual creatures. with visuals you can more closely tell your story.

the environment and the level of detail and thought put into the environment is amazing.

seriously, was terminator 1 or 2 that unpredictable? the stories were pretty lame. robot comes back, saves person, or kills person. lol what? but c'mon the shit that MAKES the story is awesome. terminators? remember t2 when it first came out? the CGI in that movie back then was ORGASMIC man. the t1000 looked fuckin NUTS.

aliens? c'mon. it's always about the environment and the way they portray that "world".

take for instance, lord of the rings, ... c'mon how original is the story. wizards and elves vs monsters. good guys always win, but the environment and detail in the story is amazing.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #84
Banned (ABWS)

terminator was really good, i didn't think it was predictable, even the new crappier terminator movies weren't very predictable
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #85
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
well there we go, predictability has nothing to do with how good a movie is.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #86
Banned (ABWS)

may be not quality wise, but it takes away a lot of suspense and entertainment value

and it was a bit too cheesy at times
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #87
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Okay guys, I think you're missing the point.

take a look at all of james cameron's movies, none of the plots are very good regardless. they're typical movie plots, but slightly directed in a better way.

but here's the thing with all his movies, they always showcase really cool technological advances in cinematics, which ADDS to story lines because we are visual creatures. with visuals you can more closely tell your story.

the environment and the level of detail and thought put into the environment is amazing.

seriously, was terminator 1 or 2 that unpredictable? the stories were pretty lame. robot comes back, saves person, or kills person. lol what? but c'mon the shit that MAKES the story is awesome. terminators? remember t2 when it first came out? the CGI in that movie back then was ORGASMIC man. the t1000 looked fuckin NUTS.

aliens? c'mon. it's always about the environment and the way they portray that "world".

take for instance, lord of the rings, ... c'mon how original is the story. wizards and elves vs monsters. good guys always win, but the environment and detail in the story is amazing.
Terminator's story line wasn't done to death with just a rebrand or a reuse of new characters.

Avatar was any American Indian uprising movie which was done to death. It was visually stunning, no doubt about that, but it was the same: Indians vs. the White Man.

It certainly caters to today's environmentalist mentality though.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #88
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
the 3d was too much for me =[ but the movie itself was pretty good
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #89
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

seems like a lot of the later opinions really bash this movie.
I was able to predict most of the things in the movie but I very satisfied with the movie. One of the best movies I've seen if not the best. Final fantasy storylines are great because you play it for 80 hours and u grow with the characters but you can only do so much in a 2 or 3 hour movie with a storyline. The movie is worth it on special effects alone. Like someone said before, it was more enjoyable seeing the CGI scenes over the human scenes. If this movie doesn't satisfy your movie hunger, I don't know what will.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #90
Need my Daily Fix of RS

do you have to wear those stupid glassses for the 3-D show?
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #91
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Spoiler!

Last edited by Eatman; 12-28-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Eatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #92
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
do you have to wear those stupid glassses for the 3-D show?
Yes or you'll end up staring at blurry out of focus pictures.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #93
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
SO I`m looking online at movie times and see 3 different Avatar Movie shows and I`m pretty confused.

There`s the following

First one is obviously in a normal cinema but what the fuck is the different between 3d no imax 3d

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #94
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatman View Post
Spoiler!
Fucking gold diggers..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #95
How I Mod your mother

Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #96
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
SO I`m looking online at movie times and see 3 different Avatar Movie shows and I`m pretty confused.

There`s the following

First one is obviously in a normal cinema but what the fuck is the different between 3d no imax 3d

The movie is also featured in 3D in normal theaters as well. Then there is always IMAX 3D which of course just a bigger screen etc...Hope that helps lol. If you going for IMAX, buy the tickets in advance or online seems to sell out fast.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #97
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post

There`s the following

+1 for IMAX 3D and surround sound.

When I was watching the movie, I would notice various background noises hovering behind me and kept wanting to look over my shoulder. I quickly realized that they were little sound effects from the movie LOL.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #98
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The 3D was painfully unneccessary. I think silvercity charged more for it. I agree that the plotlines were predictable, and that the images were magnificent. Avatar without 3-d is probably better than with 3-d.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #99
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
James Cameron has a lot riding on 3D tech and to his credit, he definitely delivered on the visuals.

I guess Giovanni Ribisi had some debts to pay by taking on the Napoleon role.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #100
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just saw Avatar yesterday. I must say it is one of the best movie I saw this year. No wonder it is sold out an hour before screening. Even though the plot is predictable, it moves you emotionally. I must say I cried like a little girl. The graphics are just incredible (3D). So get off your sofa and move your butt to watch the movie.