REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Need to clean my rollerblade bearings

I need to clean my rollerblade bearings.
Is there any suggestions on good products to buy to clean them?
There's so many and I don't want to get scammed...

I don't even know what I need. Lube, cleaning oil, grease?? something that has a 3 in 1 kit or something?? I never done it before.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I need to clean my rollerblade bearings.
Is there any suggestions on good products to buy to clean them?
There's so many and I don't want to get scammed...

I don't even know what I need. Lube, cleaning oil, grease?? something that has a 3 in 1 kit or something?? I never done it before.
Don't worry too much about the kits they sell at Sport Check and (or where I work) Sport Mart, though they do make doing this pretty simple. Ideally what you'll want is some sort of degreaser, grease, and a push pin. The push pin believe it or not, is really useful in taking out the C-clip that holds the cover on either side of the bearing. Then what you'll want to do is have some sort of container with the degreaser in it, and put the bearings inside and tighten it up. Give it a really good shake then remove the bearings, they should be nice and clean. What we do in the shop after this is using a compressor, blow them dry. If you don't have one, just wipe them down then let them air dry for a while. DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN. Another technician tried to teach me to do this and I just rolled my eyes. When the bearings are dry, add the grease inside, put the covers back on, and put the C-Clips back in to secure them. Put them back in your wheels (don't forget to rotate), and away you go!

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Does all the kits come with everything I need? (What are all the stuff I need anyway?) degreaser and grease?

I saw something like the Sonic Turbo Wash, but it seems to be much more than I intend to spend.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Does all the kits come with everything I need? (What are all the stuff I need anyway?) degreaser and grease?

I saw something like the Sonic Turbo Wash, but it seems to be much more than I intend to spend.
If I remember coorectly, the kits give you degreaser/cleaner, grease, a container for the bearings, and a pin to get them out.

THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)?

crap, I just spent $10 yesterday buying a stupid allen key + bearing pusher/puller.

And once I used that tool, I found out HOW the bearing is removed, that I can just replicate it now with a screw driver. Meaning the tool's useless now.

And now I realized a cleaning kit also comes with a bearing remover...

sigh...

I just found out using a pencil is the best and cheapest bearing removal tool...

Last edited by AzNightmare; 08-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
crap, I just spent $10 yesterday buying a stupid allen key + bearing pusher/puller.

And once I used that tool, I found out HOW the bearing is removed, that I can just replicate it now with a screw driver. Meaning the tool's useless now.

And now I realized a cleaning kit also comes with a bearing remover...

sigh...

I just found out using a pencil is the best and cheapest bearing removal tool...
I wouldn't say that, the bearing removal tool is actually really handy. Yes, you can these things without one, but for $10, it makes life easier. I use one in the shop, and I prefer it over something else.

(crowd pops louder)

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

As far as i remember.. (someone correct me if i am wrong) but i think they stopped making GREASE bearings.

If you have GREASE bearings, they're only good for a year or so...then throw them away.

So in other words....you don't grease up your bearings.

All aftermarket bearings are oil. So, in order for you to clean them, you should be using a citrus based degreaser, and re-lubing them with a specific oil, or lubricant spray meant for bearings.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
As far as i remember.. (someone correct me if i am wrong) but i think they stopped making GREASE bearings.

If you have GREASE bearings, they're only good for a year or so...then throw them away.

So in other words....you don't grease up your bearings.

All aftermarket bearings are oil. So, in order for you to clean them, you should be using a citrus based degreaser, and re-lubing them with a specific oil, or lubricant spray meant for bearings.
Yeah the grease/oil whatever they supplied in previous cleaning kits (and I'm talking the last couple years) wasn't thick like automotive grease, it's much thinner, but not oily. And the degreaser they include is indeed citrus based.

(crowd pops louder)