REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Advice needed - buying "new" car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/586809-advice-needed-buying-new-car.html)

acurael 08-23-2009 07:23 PM

Advice needed - buying "new" car

Hey guys,

Just wanted some thoughts/advice/opinions

Its time to buy a new car. Im looking at spending 30-40K max (somethin around 35 preferable). This car will be a daily driver - i drive alot for work (approx 2500km per month). So i am also concerned about gas consumption (slightly) and costs of maintenance. I currently drive an EL which is great in terms of gas and is very reliable.

I want to step into something nicer and newer. Here are the cars Im considering - i know they are in different classes (coupe vs sedan etc)

Option #1
Infiniti G35/Possibly 37. I have always like the G35. I personally like it better then the G37 (in terms of looks). This is the car I'm leaning towards right now. Does anyone know any websites for g35/g37 owners. If i go with a g35 im thinking either black or pearl white with the sport package. Im currently looking at some used 2006 models
For the sport pkg i know it includes the wheels, sport suspension - anything else? Ive heard possibly the front bumper is a bit different - unsure about this one. How is the maintenance/reliability on these cars

Option#2
Lexus IS 250 (used) - really nice car, i think it lacks HP though (only 200HP) For some reason i havent seen any used IS350s on the market - which i find strange. This car also has the advantage of being 4 doors which is more convenient. Our other current car is already a coupe. How are the maintenance costs on a lexus? I know it will be reliable since its a toyota

Option#3
Mercedes C300/350. The new models 09/10. This is a bit of a stretch as its closer to 50K. Im thinking that maintenance costs will be too high b/c of the high mileage i drive. How is the reliability of a mercedes in general? The C63 is amazing but i dont want to spend that much.

Option#4
Give me some suggestions/wat you would buy for 35 grand. Again consider its a daily driver.

I am most likely financing. (i was considering leasing a more expensive car but i will have problems with the KM limits) Im wondering if buying a new car will be better since the finance rate is lower (ie get the G37 vs used G35) - but then buying used will be cheaper it think overall?

Thanks...i know its long winded but im confused..dont want to jump into somethin without thinking about this long and hard.

124Y 08-23-2009 07:53 PM

If you are financing, I would suggest getting a new car, as the financing rates for 2nd hand cars go WAY up. My friend is financing his Impreza he got for 2nd hand at 9% :eek:!!
My 2008 Evo X ended up at around 47K out the door at 0% financing for 48 months, so you can consider one of those as well. The 370Z is cheaper than the Evo and performs slightly better, but it's a coupe, and you already have one of those :p.

tofu1413 08-23-2009 08:02 PM

i think you should be able to get a base impreza STi for about 39k? correct me if im wrong.

IS250... is slow. damned slow. IMO its underpowered.

09' Honda Accord coupe V6! get a loaded one, with sat nav and 6 speed! its an awesome car! its not bad on gas too!

i think the 09 TSX is also under 40k.. damned nice interior.

BD2002 08-23-2009 08:10 PM

Buy this! Clean car man :D

http://www.revscene.net/forums/fs-tw-2002-t586727.html

ALEX1988 08-23-2009 08:16 PM

STI is not good on gas

tofu1413 08-23-2009 08:21 PM

^gas consumption is a "slight" concern. G37 aint great either.

acurael 08-23-2009 09:01 PM

STI is a nice car...not my style anymore..maybe 5 yrs ago..im an old man..lol
Looking for something more "classy" i guess

1990TSI 08-23-2009 09:05 PM

Genesis Sedan.

worth looking at for sure.

vash13 08-23-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 6560474)
STI is a nice car...not my style anymore..maybe 5 yrs ago..im an old man..lol
Looking for something more "classy" i guess

If you want classy go for S40 or C30 R-design Turbocharged.

http://www.byzan.org/wp-content/uplo...R-Design-6.jpg

BlackZRoadster 08-23-2009 09:18 PM

2008 automatic G37 white on black, no accidents, local car, 10,000km's only

If you are interested let me know, ;)

124Y 08-23-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 6560400)
i think you should be able to get a base impreza STi for about 39k? correct me if im wrong.

IS250... is slow. damned slow. IMO its underpowered.

09' Honda Accord coupe V6! get a loaded one, with sat nav and 6 speed! its an awesome car! its not bad on gas too!

i think the 09 TSX is also under 40k.. damned nice interior.

lol no man you can't get an STI for $39K! They start at $39 995, and when you add all the fees and tax and shit, it'll be like $44K at least. Let alone their financing rate is over 4%! That's what made me choose the Evo...0% financing:D!!!

death_blossom 08-23-2009 09:34 PM

If you drive that much everyday for work, my personal opinion would be to not buy a fancy luxury vehicle such as the ones you have listed. None of your choices are as good on gas as your EL currently is. Not to mention, you'll be racking on big mileage to such a nice car (whichever you choose).

New Civics are really nice inside and are still great on gas. It would be a nice step up from your EL. If you want something luxurious, maybe a TSX would be a decent choice. They are still 4cyl engines, so it'll be relatively good on gas.

BD2002 08-23-2009 09:48 PM

fun 4 cylinder http://www.revscene.net/forums/fs-tw-2002-t586727.html :D

acurael 08-23-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 6560526)
If you drive that much everyday for work, my personal opinion would be to not buy a fancy luxury vehicle such as the ones you have listed. None of your choices are as good on gas as your EL currently is. Not to mention, you'll be racking on big mileage to such a nice car (whichever you choose).

New Civics are really nice inside and are still great on gas. It would be a nice step up from your EL. If you want something luxurious, maybe a TSX would be a decent choice. They are still 4cyl engines, so it'll be relatively good on gas.

good point. I am willing to fork over the money for gas though. I definitely want to get something more luxurious/sporty than a civic. I prefer the look of my EL (with a few mods) than the new civics. They are great cars but ive had quite a few already. TSX is a nice car. But i want to step away from the hondas/acuras. Dont feel they are the same since the good ol days of 2000 and earlier

cococly 08-23-2009 10:21 PM

Hyundai Genesis Coupe could be a good choice :)

and

Subaru WRX as well

ilvtofu 08-23-2009 10:25 PM

Get a 265hp wrx then you got practicality and awd, better on gas than the sti
and doesn't have the boy racer fenders so its fairly understated styling.

Your requirements are kinda vague though, not sure if u want something fun (wrx :haha:)
or something practical (wrx :haha:) or something luxurious (not wrx :()

I've test driven the genesis sedan and thought it was kinda bulky, it is huge though, but for someone who's been driving an EL for a while you probably don't need the size in the rear seat, and close to 40k for a decent V6

Funny how you include mercedes in your options but no BMWs... I think a used 328 sedan wouldn't be bad or any used E90 3 series sedan, maybe x drive if you want too ;)
probably decent used car selection as well since they're all over

ziggyx 08-23-2009 10:27 PM

If you are considering a lexus is250 or mbenz c class
why not consider an audi a4? or a bmw 3 series?

the a4 2.0 TSFI? its under 40K but doesn't have much more power compared to the is250

or the bmw 323i or 328i sedans are under 40 K. Again they don't have much power.
or even consider the 335 if you are willing to go that high.

Gas milage could be good or bad depending on which one of these you pick.

Maintenence costs might be a bit much though but i'm not sure i've never owned a german luxury car lol.

tofu1413 08-23-2009 10:45 PM

speaking of wrx'es..

legacy 2.5GT? best kept industry secret. ;)

godwin 08-23-2009 10:46 PM

The OP's statement on gas is such a contradiction just like some people at restaurants "I am allergic to flour/gluten can I have a hamburger without the bun?", "I don't want to get fat, but I still want that deep crust pizza with triple cheese".

All high powered cars will cause more strain on the power train, hence more frequent maintenance. Yes premium dealerships cost more because they offer you courtesy cars, lattes and plenty of eye candy while you wait.

Go test out the Genesis sedan I think it is the best valued bunch out there, for the price of a G37 you get a fully loaded V8 one.

ilvtofu 08-23-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 6560634)
speaking of wrx'es..

legacy 2.5GT? best kept industry secret. ;)

The last gen yes, used for less than 20k :)
The new ones not so much, I think they're trying to phase it out, they used to have so much more selection on turbos :*(

Pt20 08-23-2009 11:11 PM

Funny I was in the same situation a few months ago.
My debate was between a TL, G35, IS250, A4, 3-Series.
More specifically between the G35 and IS250. No surprise that the Lexus is better on gas and I guess textbook says it's more reliable/practical being a Toyota 4-door. Underpowered? Definately. Weigh out your pros and cons along with personal taste.
I was personally going to go with the Lexus, but my financial situation changed and so did the car I'm after :)

mickz 08-23-2009 11:21 PM

If you're looking at a used car I'd only consider one if you had the money up front. If you're financing, the interest rates are way too high and you might as well finance a brand new car instead.

The new Genesis looks pretty good but I hope they're not like the older Hyundais. I've driven a late 90s/early 2000s Accent and a 2000 Tiburon and they were both shit.

cococly 08-23-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6560640)
The last gen yes, used for less than 20k :)
The new ones not so much, I think they're trying to phase it out, they used to have so much more selection on turbos :*(

I like the new Legacy 2.5GT only because it has more features. ( minus the SI-Drive ) :(

I like the new interior and the NEW harmon-kardon 440w 10 speaker audio :)

I hate my crappy audio system at the moment :(

clowe 08-23-2009 11:30 PM

a used 2007 328i could be had for 30-35k before tax. If you're willing to spend a bit more a 2007 335i is around 40-45k. Those would be my choices.

acurael 08-23-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6560602)
Get a 265hp wrx then you got practicality and awd, better on gas than the sti
and doesn't have the boy racer fenders so its fairly understated styling.

Your requirements are kinda vague though, not sure if u want something fun (wrx :haha:)
or something practical (wrx :haha:) or something luxurious (not wrx :()

I've test driven the genesis sedan and thought it was kinda bulky, it is huge though, but for someone who's been driving an EL for a while you probably don't need the size in the rear seat, and close to 40k for a decent V6

Funny how you include mercedes in your options but no BMWs... I think a used 328 sedan wouldn't be bad or any used E90 3 series sedan, maybe x drive if you want too ;)
probably decent used car selection as well since they're all over

The reason i didnt mention BMWs is we have a 335 coupe currently. LOVE that car - thats the first pick over all the cars ive mentioned. More the wifes car, so time for me to get something nice too.

Yah i am being vague. I like so many different cars - been waiting YEARS to get something nice. Ive gone from thinking of NSX, supras, sti's, TL's. Ive narrowed my selection slightly as i dont want to spend too much and need somethin practical at this point. Genesis is a really great car but its still a Hyuandai imo