REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
International Licencing--visitors without visas

I'm an ESL teacher downtown, and both Japanese and Korean people visiting Canada are able to trade their native country's DL in for a Canadian DL. I've been telling all of my students this, and several of them have turned in their DLs and gotten new ones (those with less than 6 months on their visas have gotten temp permits that need to be renewed monthly, but whatever).

Yesterday, however, one of my students hit a snag.

She was told that without a visa document, they were unable to give her a driver's license.

Now, Korean citizens can enter Canada and stay for 6 months without needing a visa. But the BC Gov't requires that anyone staying more than 90 days change over their license. And now the DSC is saying that they can't issue her a license because she hasn't got a visa.

So what to do? She doesn't want to drive illegally (especially since if one "doesn't have a license" they can tow away your car if nobody else is licensed), but is in a bit of a jam since she wants to take a road trip at some point in her stay.

Thoughts from those in the department? Is there some kind of letter she can get to get out of the 90-day exemption if she's pulled over? Are there any strings that can be pulled at the DSC?
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
they should be able to acquire the papers to have an "international" driving license in their home country. i forgot the official length of time allowed to drive in canada with a foreign license.

i know for me, i went to bcaa and got the international driver license form for $20 bucks, valid for a year before i went to hk and tw, which i dont hold a valid drivers license in those countries.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
they should be able to acquire the papers to have an "international" driving license in their home country. i forgot the official length of time allowed to drive in canada with a foreign license.

i know for me, i went to bcaa and got the international driver license form for $20 bucks, valid for a year before i went to hk and tw, which i dont hold a valid drivers license in those countries.
Several of them have international licenses, but as Skid and other officers have stated, once 90 days have passed, those papers are no longer valid as the province finds them to be "residing in BC" which means they require a BCDL.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Retired Traffic Cop

You say visiting, which means that they are not resident. In order to be a tourist, one needs to be just that. If you take a job, buy a home or do something similar, you are resident and must have a BCDL. Otherwise, you are exempt from holding a BCDL for a period of 6 months.

If you are a student, you are exempt from holding a BCDL while you are a full time student and are attending schools in this list:

a university, as defined in the University Act;
an institution, as defined in the College and Institute Act;
the University of Northern British Columbia;
the Thompson Rivers University;
Royal Roads University;
the Open Learning Agency;
any other educational institution in the Province that is authorized under an enactment to grant degrees or is designated under section 3

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
The Lone Wanderator

Sweet. Thanks Skid, you're the man yet again.