REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   alignment out of specs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587562-alignment-out-specs.html)

mugentsx 08-29-2009 08:25 PM

alignment out of specs

car is a 04 Acura EL

had an alignment done couple weeks ago, it was perfect.
car went straight, steering wheel is straight

now fast forward

car still goes straight, but the steering wheel is couple degrees out.
if i center the steering wheel, the car would go towards left.

Also, if there is a big crown on the road, i have to pull on the wheel to keep the car goin straight. straight flat roads are fine.

^ have to readjust caster?

can this reason of losing alignment be the tie rod ends going?

!SG 08-29-2009 09:53 PM

did you hit anything?

you should be able to bring back to the alignment shop for a quick reinspection. there is a grace period for all alignment jobs.

is ur car lowered?

the crown of the road, AND the grooves in the road from all the cars that drive over the pavement can cause the pulling. best is to find a complete flat parking lot and center the car to see if it pulls. u cannot do a road test as all roads are straight, even if they look straight they arent.

SumAznGuy 08-29-2009 11:11 PM

Are your tires properly inflated and are they even pressures from right and left?

BoostLover 08-31-2009 06:22 PM

Often chamber is set to compensate for road crown. Perhaps the shop didn't take this into account.

mugentsx 08-31-2009 07:49 PM

car is on stock setup. tire pressure all set at 35psi.

i don't think camber moved at all.

no rips or tears in tie rod ends boot. when jacked up, steering locked. move the tires back and forth. no movment everything is tight, no play at all

normally if there is play when moving the wheels jacked up. the ball joint, wheel bearing, or tie rod end is busted.

Puck Luck 09-02-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostLover (Post 6572073)
Often chamber is set to compensate for road crown. Perhaps the shop didn't take this into account.

Not sure if many shops would want to make adjustment to try to compensate for road crown. I know i wouldn't. I adjust to factory specs. I don't think it would be a good idea to be guessing how much crown to compensate. If i did adjust for compensation, how is it going to drive on a flat surface?
And if the compensation were to later cause a problem, "I purposely made adjustments away from factory specs cause i felt it would compensate for crown" wouldn't sound very good in a court of law.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugentsx (Post 6569688)
car is a 04 Acura EL
Also, if there is a big crown on the road, i have to pull on the wheel to keep the car goin straight. straight flat roads are fine.

with enough crown, any car will pull. Some more than others, depending on the car, tires, etc
04 EL camber technically isn't adjustable. Although you can force a little bit of movement if you loosen the pinch bolts at the bottom of the struts.

with most acura's and honda's, only toe is adjustable and you can easily adjust it as straight as possible. with camber and caster, you're just hoping to get in within that window of tolerance.

TRDood 09-02-2009 10:09 PM

what are the dangers of having alignment out of place?

lexluthor09 09-03-2009 01:30 PM

Tire wear
Car pulling, wandering

pretty much the major points