REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   IS350 or M3 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587563-is350-m3.html)

shenmecar 08-31-2009 09:42 PM

If i were in your shoes, I would choose the IS350. Only because reliability is more important than performance when choosing a temporary car. I justify that by saying this, if you want to use this as a temporary car, opt for one that wont blow your money. One that will last so you can save money for a better car in the future.

achiam 08-31-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Devil's Apprentice (Post 6569719)
Do you really need to ask that? wow...

I'd go for the M3 hands-down, but 2004 is out of warranty and it'll get costly(maintenance) but make sure Insp. II has been done and have money saved up in case shit hits the fan...the E46M3 engine is pretty bullet proof..

Reliability: Lexus IS350
Fast and driver-orientated car: M3

BMW engines aren't the weak point, its the electronics. After four years, BMW computers/electronics/electrical systems fall apart. Obviously some people have worse luck than others, but in my own circle of friends BMWs and Audi's are the absolute worst in terms of problems.

jigga250 08-31-2009 09:55 PM

IS350 no question....that generation of M3 is basically a decade old

maxx 08-31-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 6572412)
BMW engines aren't the weak point, its the electronics. After four years, BMW computers/electronics/electrical systems fall apart. Obviously some people have worse luck than others, but in my own circle of friends BMWs and Audi's are the absolute worst in terms of problems.

luck has nothing to do with it. its doing your homework and buying the right car.

ive had nothing but BMWs for my daily driving and electronics were never an issue, nothing was for that matter.

obselete 08-31-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6571315)
i say keep the TL if u gonna switch to IS350, since not really a better car if not the same or worse. Not much of an upgrade IMO , especially IS has no fucking rear room (im 6 feet 185 pounds)

if u gonna go for the upgrade go for the M3, but prepare a bit more dough on the side in case maintenance kicks in

After sitting in the TL and comparing it with the IS, the IS wins hands down in every category. RWD > FWD

busdriverman 09-01-2009 04:46 PM

i would go with the IS like many have said.

The main objective of this car is for commuting am I right? It is not your second car, track/weekend car so it fun is not the main concern.

Toyotas have always been known for reliability, so opt for a nice german sports car when you have the means of upkeeping one comfortably.

dubzz24 09-05-2009 12:14 AM

God damn I hate people that spew uninformed stereptypes out like they know what the fuck they're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6569959)
M3 wat worries me is the other electrical and other shit that once it goes wrong? parts and labour are a bitch to keep up

IS350 will definitely be maintenance free other than the regular wear and tear. Breaks, tires, oil change, etc etc

The IS' aren't even old enough to know what kind of issues there may be down the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 6572412)

Again, I've owned many BMWs and have had zero electronic issues.

OP: I'll admit I'm biased but I say M3 hands down. Maintenance is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Oil change intervals are determined by the OBC based on consuming 2500L of fuel. That's about every 20k-25k k's (I also change my oil between intervals to stay on the safe side). An "inspection" (I or II) is due every other oil service, so every ~40k k's and that's when you need to get the valve adjustment. If done at a indy shop usually $500 or so. Besides that, for regular maintenace it's not much more than your average car. Also take into account resale value. Especially now, M cars have very limited depreciation if you keep them in good shape.

I'm in the same boat, currently going to school and didn't want to worry about payments. Seriously, if you want to go for a ride in a stock e46 M drop me a PM. I'm sure there won't be much of a decision to make after ;)

Mugen EvOlutioN 09-05-2009 12:24 AM

^

maybe u are the lucky one than i dunno

too many friends and relatives with BMW had problems after the warranty runs out

First gen X5 4.4, 90s model 7 series, etc etc

Timpo 09-05-2009 01:18 AM

IS350...more reliable

but if you like convertible, M3

pandalove 09-05-2009 01:48 AM

if ur gonna really drive the car ... like track it
then m3
if ur just commuting and want less trouble
then is350

Meowjin 09-05-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubzz24 (Post 6578480)
God damn I hate people that spew uninformed stereptypes out like they know what the fuck they're talking about.

The IS' aren't even old enough to know what kind of issues there may be down the road.

Again, I've owned many BMWs and have had zero electronic issues.

OP: I'll admit I'm biased but I say M3 hands down. Maintenance is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Oil change intervals are determined by the OBC based on consuming 2500L of fuel. That's about every 20k-25k k's (I also change my oil between intervals to stay on the safe side). An "inspection" (I or II) is due every other oil service, so every ~40k k's and that's when you need to get the valve adjustment. If done at a indy shop usually $500 or so. Besides that, for regular maintenace it's not much more than your average car. Also take into account resale value. Especially now, M cars have very limited depreciation if you keep them in good shape.

I'm in the same boat, currently going to school and didn't want to worry about payments. Seriously, if you want to go for a ride in a stock e46 M drop me a PM. I'm sure there won't be much of a decision to make after ;)

I'm still banging my head against the wall right now. I just came to a realization that for 28k canadian you can get a g8 gt. Only problem is no leather and no navi.

Meowjin 09-05-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obselete (Post 6572621)
After sitting in the TL and comparing it with the IS, the IS wins hands down in every category. RWD > FWD

The TL wasn't bad for it's time. I was given high residual from honda which was awesome, and standard it did come with alot of features that cost extra on other cars. But it's downside is the FWD.

Amaru 09-05-2009 10:58 AM

Completely and utterly incomparable cars. The M3 is a "hold-on-to-your-ass, rev-to-8.5k, look-at-me" car. The e46 M3 to this day still has one of the best engines ever built. The 3.2L I6 is as smooth as butter, revs to 8,000rpm, and still manages to put out 333 ponies.

The IS350 is a small luxury sedan. It's difficult to use the word "sport" when describing it. It's a fantastic car, and beautiful to boot, but just because it has 300bhp doesn't put it anywhere near the M3 in overall performance.

Oh, and to the guy who says he "hits his head" in 3-series coupes... either you have the seat jacked up (press down on the middle seat control button) or you have a 6" mohawk. I'm 6'0" and I'm at least 6-8" from the roof of the car.