REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #426
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
Now how long ago was that? I remember the dealership, now that you mention it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeaky...ol-621806@N23/
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #427
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My mom bought her Chevy Nova there in '75

I'm pretty sure it was still there when we moved out of that neighbourhood around '78
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #428
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XFx4d-Yk#at=66
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #429
MG1

Been a while........

Anyway, does anyone know if Gibbs boys club still operates in the Strathcona area? I used to go there often as a kid. Back in the day, there were so many kids in the Strathcona area with nothing to do and this place offered so many things. They took us on field trips. I remember going to Boundary Bay. First time ever leaving the neighbourhood. I remember the teens and young leaders who worked with us. I remember this one very pretty girl leader. Back then there was no such thing as hotness. Horny came later in life, LOL.

Driving around the Strathcona area now, I notice it has changed so much. Not many kids and lots of homeless and way more First Nations folks than there used to be. I also noticed some yuppies....... strange the neighbourhood is now.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #430
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
car wreck

Police officer inspects wreck on the Georgia Viaduct - 1943
Photographer: Jack Lindsay
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 1184-636

car wreck

Accident at Richards Street and Davie Street - ca. 1940
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 1184-3227

wreck

Wreck beside Georgia Viaduct - 1929
Photographer: Stuart Thomson
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 99-1915

truck wreck

Johnson Storage Company trucks - 1927
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 99-1974

car wreck

Wreck in the 1300 Block West Pender Street - 1920
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 99-3287

car wreck

An accident near Granville Street and Connaught Drive - 1921
Photographer: Unknown
City of Vancouver Archives, item # Str P409.1

car wreck

Accident at 29th Avenue and Connaught Drive - 1914
Photographer: Unknown
City of Vancouver Archives, item # Str P269.4

car wreck

Accident between a streetcar and automobile - [ca. 1940]
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 1184-3225

traffic ticket

B.C. Provincial Police officer writing a ticket - [ca. 1948]
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 1184-2695

stop sign

New traffic sign on King Edward Avenue - 1929
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 99-3641

directing traffic

Constable Duncan McTavish directing traffic at Hastings Street and Abbott Street - [ca. 1925]
City of Vancouver Archives, item # CVA 99-2391

vision test

Inspector George Hood tests a motorist for double vision - [between 1940 and 1948]
Photographer: Llewellyn
City of Vancouver Archives, item # Port P794

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #431
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Driving around the Strathcona area now, I notice it has changed so much. Not many kids and lots of homeless and way more First Nations folks than there used to be. I also noticed some yuppies....... strange the neighbourhood is now.
It's changed significantly. A lot more affluent folk living in the area now along with artists and musicians. A majority of the old-Chinese have moved out or have passed away.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #432
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
1957, WestEnd from Burrard

Robson St

Burrard Bridge

1907 Stanley park hollow tree

The first gasoline station in Canada opened in June 1907 on Smithe Street, Vancouver

1908 Granville st bridge construction

1909 Vancouvers first post office, now part of Sinclair centre

1911 Denman Arena

Construction on one of Vancouver’s most beautiful (and now vanished) buildings, the second Hotel Vancouver, began early in 1913.

1915 The scoring of Fred "Cyclone" Taylor helped the Vancouver Millionaires win the Stanley Cup.

The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra in the Orpheum Theatre, 1918

Quote:
September 4 1918,
Vancouver’s first plane crash. A flying-boat—an aircraft with a hull-shaped fuselage for operation from water—the H-2, crashed in the West End after an engine failure at 1,500 feet. Piloting the little plane was Lt. Victor Bishop of the RAF, a seasoned pilot who had seen (and would see more) action in the First World War. Bishop’s plane dropped like a stone and fell on the roof of a house owned by Dr. J. C. Farish at the corner of Bute and Alberni Streets. Bishop was not seriously injured. In fact, he stepped out of the plane into the upstairs hallway of the house and, with the assistance of one of the residents, walked down the stairs to the front door and outside through a gathered crowd to a waiting ambulance.
Quote:
October 25 The worst disaster in coastal history, when the Canadian Pacific Ship Princess Sophia sank. Stranded on a reef in a severe snowstorm off the Alaskan coast, every berth occupied, the crowded luxury coastal steamer was thought to be safe, anchored firmly. “Her captain, L.P. Locke, was one of the most experienced and most respected mariners on the coast.” The passengers, most from the Yukon, played cards and wrote letters. Somehow the Sophia slipped off the reef during the night and sank. All 343 people aboard, 63 of them crew members, were lost. The only survivor was an oil-soaked dog found later wandering on the shore. Writers Betty O'Keefe and Ian Macdonald have written Final Voyage of the Princess Sophia: Did They All Have to Die? (1998)
1921 The peach Arch was opened

March 21 1921,
Quote:
The first game of the 1921 Stanley Cup series (a best-of-five contest between the Ottawa Senators and the Vancouver Millionaires) took place at the Denman Arena. The attendance for Game 1 was 11,000 fans, setting a new world record for the largest crowd to see a hockey game. The Senators won three games to two. The remaining dates and scores are below.
Game-by-Game Winning Team Score Losing Team Location
1 Mar. 21 Vancouver Millionaires 2-1 Ottawa Senators Denman Street Arena, Vanc.
2 Mar. 24 Ottawa Senators 4-3 Vancouver Millionaires
3 Mar. 28 Ottawa Senators 3-2 Vancouver Millionaires
4 Mar. 31 Vancouver Millionaires 3-2 Ottawa Senators
5 Apr. 4 Ottawa Senators 2-1 Vancouver Millionaires
Senators win best-of-five series 3 games to 2
Joe Fortes, beloved English Bay
lifeguard, died in February.

Yip Sang, a Chinatown pioneer, built the
Wing Sang Building (51-67 E. Pender),
the oldest standing structure in Chinatown. Photo: courtesy of the Vancouver Museum

Granville 1927

1933 Whores

1936 Vancouver City hall

1937 Pattullo bridge

1938 Bus Station, Seymour and Dunsmiur

1938 Lions Gate

1942 Cars owned by Japanese Canadiens were seized and stored at hastings park
Quote:
April 1 Japanese-Canadians begin to be moved from the west coast to internment camps in the interior and points east. The government "took into custody" 1,337 of their fishboats, as well as houses and other property. The owners received little or no compensation. Not only the entire fishing fleet, but also other businesses, radios, cameras and cars were confiscated. Newspapers were suppressed and language schools were closed. The owners received little or no compensation. Steveston was particularly hard hit.

And a light in a Stanley Park monument built to honor Japanese-Canadian soldiers who had fought bravely and with high casualties for Canada in World War I was turned off.
1945 London drugs first store, 800 Main st

CKMO's Wilf Ray interviews Sammy Davis, Jr. at the Commodore in 1948. There's something about Wilf that caught Sammy's notice!

The collapse of the Second Narrows Bridge June 17, 1958

Quote:
May 8 Businessman Jimmy Pattison began his rise in business when he bought a GM dealership (Pontiac/Buick) with a $40,000 bank loan from the Royal Bank, using his home and life insurance policy as collateral. Today, Pattison runs B.C.’s largest privately-owned company, the Jim Pattison Group.

Once called the BC Hydro Building, the 21-storey Electra was B.C.'s tallest building in 1961.

The Port Mann Bridge opened in 1964

1965 Our Flag

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #433
RS Veteran

89blkcivic,

Since you grew up in the Strathcona-Chinatown area, you may remember this. I plan to go there sometime soon.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #434
Banned By Establishment

Skyline350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #435
MG1

Stories, we need stories........ pics are nice, but recollection of old neighbourhoods and what it was like when you were young - growing up. I often wish I had spent more time with my father - talk about his experiences living in the DTES.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #436
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
89blkcivic,

Since you grew up in the Strathcona-Chinatown area, you may remember this. I plan to go there sometime soon.
Not sure what you are referring to. If it's the bridge, I remember when the old viaduct went down and the new overpass was built.

If you're referring to the Jimi Hendrix Shrine, it wasn't there when I was a little kid.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #437
RS Veteran

Maybe the link was bad. I think I screwed it up.

I was referring to this:

Foo's Ho Ho

Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #438
MG1

Ah, the Ho Ho......... we went there all the time. For every occasion you can think of. If someone died and had a funeral, they would gather there afterwards. Weddings, grads, anniversary, holidays, etc. Food was always good there. I recall it being quite big. Two floors, I think. Also, I don't recall it being called Foo's. In fact, I recall a restaurant named Foo's across the street. Perhaps they merged.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #439
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I remember Ming's across from ho ho on Pender. Went there many a times for dinner
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #440
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Thanks, skyxx, it would be nice if RS members, who's family have been here for many generations, took the time to talk to their parents/grandparents about their experiences living here in Greater Vancouver and share those stories here.

My father never said much about the past before he passed away, but then again, I never bugged him about it. I'm sure he had many stories of how life was like back in his day - whether it be about the Chinatown Riots, racism, police conduct towards immigrants, the war days, trying to fit in, etc.
Great-great grandfather said to my great grandfather "Don't go there. White people will spit on you". Not much of a story but that's all he said.
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #441
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Anyone remember The West End Girls? A group of girls from Vancouver's West End had this catchy, but overplayed song.

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #442
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Tidbits of stories that I have heard over the years...

My Grandfather was born in Vancouver during the 1930s and grew up in Chinatown. He was Chinese and spoke English and Toisan which it was the spoken Chinese language in Vancouver during the time.

He grew up in a very poor family and he and his siblings would sleep on old mattresses filled with bed bugs. They would wake up covered in bites. For food they would often have to buy the old moldy bread from the bakery.

People who were not Caucasian were not allowed in the pool at English Bay, but the man who worked there would let my grandfather and his friends in early before they opened. They would all urinate in the pool before leaving, because of the discrimination.

He also told me a story of how in school, he sat behind a blonde Caucasian girl and got black ink from an inkwell all over her hair and got in trouble for that.

In a factory that he worked in, as an adult he was making less than a Caucasian child who worked there doing the exact same job simply because he was Chinese and the child was Caucasian.

We also have a Chinese family member that got buried into the concrete of one of the bridges. I'm assuming he fell in some how during construction.

Our family isn't even our real family last name, when my great grandfather immigrated and paid a head tax they put the wrong name which was his middle name. (Personally, I do not mind it as it is now completely unique to our family)
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
My Grandfather was born in Vancouver during the 1930s and grew up in Chinatown. He was Chinese and spoke English and Toisan which it was the spoken Chinese language in Vancouver during the time.
My uncle came here in the 40s (we're from just outside Guangzhou) and working in a restaurant he used to always get told "Gong tong wa ni yew um hew, gong fan wa ni yew um hiew"

Quote:
People who were not Caucasian were not allowed in the pool at English Bay, but the man who worked there would let my grandfather and his friends in early before they opened.
Racism when convenient cause Joe Fortes was our first lifeguard and he was black.

Quote:
In a factory that he worked in, as an adult he was making less than a Caucasian child who worked there doing the exact same job simply because he was Chinese and the child was Caucasian.

We also have a Chinese family member that got buried into the concrete of one of the bridges. I'm assuming he fell in some how during construction.
Harsh
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

I think our football team won the provincial title one year (Shrine Bowl) and went to the finals a few times. Our rivals back then were the Notre Dame Jugglers (private school bastards). They always seemed to beat us. I don't think Britannia even has a football team now. The football coach at the time was Mr. Shreiber <sp?> and Bill Vance, Jodi Vance's father, taught PE.
Mr Jack Schrieber? He was also the wrestling coach. I think 5 consecutive provincial championships!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #445
RS controls my life!

Went through quite a lot of pages in this thread. I've only lived here for two years but I've seen a fair share of the city. But I never got the opportunity to see the before and after effects. To be honest I've never had that opportunity anywhere. I seem to move cities every 3-4 years. If anyone has any history of the neighborhood between main-cambie/broadway and terminal that would be awesome. I lived in a 120 year old house in that area for awhile and it is clearly visable how much things have changed in that neighborhood. The house is an artist residency now and a gallery.

I also stumbled upon this photographers flickr awhile back. He has a really great, intimate and well shot collection of vancouver from several decades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadag...7622101752602/
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #446
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
i miss the chinese theatres they use to had
the 1 in the old aberdeen and the 1 that use to be on commerical and broadway
i could of sworn it was in parker place.. i remember a bowling alley there too..... maybe no bowling alley but this was around 13 years ago?? I remember watching chinese films and eating hong kong pop corn (sweet popcorn) hahah
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #447
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It always amazes me to see how the neighbourhood you're familiar with has evolved. I grew up in Southeast Vancouver and enjoy recognizing the buildings and surroundings that existed then and how they remained the same or changed over the decades.

Anyone recognize any of these?

[View of road paving at the] Intersection Main St. and 34th Ave. [now 33rd Avenue].jpg

[View of streetcar and businesses at] 49th and Fraser Aves. S[outh] Vancouver.jpg

1st Ave. and Comm[ercial] DR..jpg

10th Avenue and Cambie Street, site of City Hall.jpg

41st Avenue and Fraser Street (Municipal Hall South Vancouver) ca. 1912.jpg

41st Avenue looking West from East Boulevard ca. 1914.jpg

43rd Avenue and Main Street (Drainage pipes stacked) ca. 191-.jpg

49th and Fraser Ave (View of streetcar and businesses) ca. 1912.jpg

500 block of Carrall Street, looking north toward Pender Street.jpg

800 Block of Main St 1968+2009.jpg

4100 block of Main street looking Southeast May 7 1946.jpg

6306 Prince Albert Street (Women and girls sitting on the front steps of a house) ca. 1916.jpg (I believe this house still stands on that corner)

A glimpse of the city from Stanley Park.jpg

Accident scene at 41st and Prince Albert Aug 1948.jpg

An newly built shopping area at the corner of Cedar Street (Burrard Street) and Broadway.jpg

Arch at entrance to Central Park, Burnaby.jpg

Broadway and Com[mercial] Dr..jpg

Burrard Pharmacy [1003 Robson].jpg

Capitola Pharmacy and Apartments, corner of Davie Street and Thurlow Street.jpg

City Museum, Art Gallery and Library, Vancouver, B.C..jpg

Commercial Drive and 11th Avenue (Men erecting power pole) ca. March 28, 1914.jpg

Commercial Drive and 20th Avenue ca. 1920.jpg

Cor. 25th Ave. and Main St. Vancouver, B.C..jpg

Dick building at southeast corner of 9th Avenue (Broadway) and Granville Street.jpg

Entrances to the underground comfort stations on Howe near Robson Street.jpg

Exterior of E. Trimble and Sons Central Meat Market - S.W. corner of Westminster Road (Kingsway) and 9th Avenue (Broadway).jpg

Finished bitulithic pavement Fraser St. and 34th Ave. [now 33rd Ave.].jpg

Fraser and 33rd. [Avenue looking] south.jpg (anyone remember the A&W on that corner?)

Fraser and 49th. [Avenue looking] north.jpg

Grant Motors, 49th. and Fraser showing sign, Home Gas.jpg

Houses, Fraserview housing development, exterior 1950.jpg

Joyce Street looking Southwest towards Carleton School ca. 191-.jpg

Knight and 41st. [Avenue looking] north.jpg

Knight and 41st. [Avenue looking] west.jpg

Knight and 49th. [Avenue looking] south.jpg

Knight and 57th. [Avenue looking] east.jpg

Knight and 57th. [Avenue looking] west.jpg

Looking North on Main at 8th Avenue 1922.jpg

Looking North on Main at Broadway 1922.jpg

Looking west from East 64th Avenue (66th Avenue) near Main Street.jpg

Main Street at River Road (Marine Drive).jpg

Marine Drive in South Vancouver.jpg

Mr. Francis (Frank) J. Hamilton standing on the 100 block East Pender Street.jpg

Mr. Stephens McLaren Ad. Co., Dunbar Theatre.jpg

North east corner Columbia Street and Pender Street.jpg

Park Avenue (Later Boundary Road) (Showing streetcar, overpass, road and sidewalk ca. 191-.jpg

Smith, Davidson & Wright building [1190 Homer Street].jpg

South Hill Baptist Chuch South Vancouver ca. 1912.jpg

South Hill Public School South Vancouver ca. 1912.jpg

Southwest exterior of the Court House, viewed from the corner of Hornby and Robson Streets.jpg

Taken for Duker and Shaw Billboards Ltd. [Kingsway between Clarendon and Wales Streets].jpg

Terminal Cartage truck on its side after colliding with a street car on the corner of Howe and Davie Streets.jpg

The Heather Street Creek overflowing Ninth Avenue (Broadway).jpg

View looking Northwest in 2500 block Main June 1939.jpg

View looking South on Fraser and East 33rd near the entrance to Mountain View Cemetary July 1944.jpg

View looking southwest in 600 block East Broadway at Fraser June 1939.jpg

View of Spanish Banks Beach (formerly Point Grey Beach) from Marine Drive and Blanca Street.jpg

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #448
MG1

Some of those buldings are still there.

The first London Drugs...... brings back many memories.

Any pics of Richmond circa 1960's? Rchmond was nothing but berry farms.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #449
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
It always amazes me to see how the neighbourhood you're familiar with has evolved. I grew up in Southeast Vancouver and enjoy recognizing the buildings and surroundings that existed then and how they remained the same or changed over the decades.

Anyone recognize any of these?
Spoiler!
Thanks Bonka, it was very interesting to look at these pictures from the past..and comparing the actual intersections [a few of the knight/main/fraser ones I sort of recognize]
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #450
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post

Capitola Pharmacy and Apartments, corner of Davie Street and Thurlow Street.jpg
Haha wow. I used to live behind this building, walked beside it everyday and thought it would be such a cool building to live in. (This was last year:P) Thanks for the picture dump. I wish I came to this thread when it was just getting going. So many interesting tales and items I could comment on.

An old lady who randomly sat down and had coffee with me told me there used to be a car co-op garage somewhere near cambie street. A place where skilled car mechanics would help people fix their cars for free in exchange for supporting the garage with tools. They have a bike co-op here in vancouver, why not a car co-op?
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote