REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Unintentionally damaged my wheel when I tried to remove it; how much to fix it?

Today I decided to replace the brake pads on my 335i. For some reason, the wheels were stuck on really good, not something I have no experience with. I have to deal with this ocassionally while working on my own cars. As usual, to remove the stuck wheel, I hit the tire from the inside using a mallet. I tried a few medium strikes and the wheel wouldn't budge. So, naturally, I gave it one hard strike. It loosened a little. I turned the wheel 180 degrees and gave it a medium whack. I expected that to loosen the wheel a little. However, that did not happen and the wheel unexpectedly fell onto the ground face first, hitting the wheel bolts and my other tools that were on the ground. The car was only lifted 2" above the ground. To my surprise, the wheel is extremely soft and there was are some cosmetic damages as a result of the accident.

Here are some pictures... how much am I looking to spend to have these fixed? My two choices of shops will be either Panther or Nu Brite.

Advertisement
Castamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Last I heard, it was about $150 to fix a wheel with curb rash, but that was a couple years ago.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Is there a product that's sorta like bondo for wheels?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Any bondo should work. However, for optimal balancing, large chippings are usually repaired using welds. Regular curbing and rashes could be repaired using bondo or bodyfillers, aka mud.

$150 sounds quite right for a simple curb repair, which includes sanding, filling, and repainting. To reduce the cost of curb repair, many people sand and "bondo" the wheel at home to repair the curb rashes. Then take bring the partially repaired wheel for a repaint at a wheel shop. This should save around $20-30.

I just got a quote from Nu Brite to repair the above wheel today (first thing on my to-do list after the labor day Holiday). They said they wanted $200 for it, but I told them I've there before, so they quoted me $175. They will have to reweld the missing chunks and paint the entire wheel. I will also have them mount and balance my set of new tires on those wheels for $20 a wheel. Not bad.

Lesson learned... place something soft on the ground where the wheel would fall.
Castamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Next time when trying to free the siezed on wheel by striking it, it might not be a bad idea to loosely thread on one lugnut for safety

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The best way to get stuck wheels off.

loosely leave all 5 lugs on. Then just kick the rubber. Honestly, ive had rims ive had to kick 7-10 times they always come off and if you leave the lugs on they dont fall off lol.

Anyways, that is a simple fix and its no special color/finish. most wheel shops charge 100-150/rim.