REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

looking to join kickboxing

im looking into perhaps joining a kickboxing class. anyone know of a good place with reasonal pricing? perferably in vancouver?
Advertisement
ur-lil-sw33tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

theres this place on hastings and .... damnit can't remember. but yeah, my cousin goes there to train. the trainer is Master Soong and he's won multiple championships in malaysia. $80/month which is really good. however, the gym is quite ghetto (i'm assuming "young and dangerous" style), but they train you well.

This is just a word of mouth and i haven't seen the place myself. my $0.02

2008 TSX 6spd
2002 WRX - gone
2008 Honda Civic - gone

My Feedback
triplexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I'm also thinking of joining kickboxing... looking into Franco's Kickboxing... I know he's an awesome instructor, but the only thing I am worried about is him being too popular leading to a bad instructor to student ratio as well as there not being enough training space.. can anyway give any feedback on Franco's?
Brickface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I heard Franco's licks balls. Something along the lines of hes only there to make money

This is just a word of mouth and i haven't seen the place myself. my $0.02

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i was looking into joining franco's too, but im not sure how the prices are since he's so popular! i live near there, so i also drive by, maybe ill drop in to see.
ur-lil-sw33tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Dynamic MMA. Cambie and 42nd across from Oakridge Mall. Skytrain accessible.

www.dynamicmma.com

Last edited by TreyDoja; 09-16-2009 at 08:43 PM.
TreyDoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickface View Post
I'm also thinking of joining kickboxing... looking into Franco's Kickboxing... I know he's an awesome instructor, but the only thing I am worried about is him being too popular leading to a bad instructor to student ratio as well as there not being enough training space.. can anyway give any feedback on Franco's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur-lil-sw33tie View Post
i was looking into joining franco's too, but im not sure how the prices are since he's so popular! i live near there, so i also drive by, maybe ill drop in to see.

I heard Franco blows goats, he barely teaches and if he does it would be for advanced fighters. He lets his underlings teach the lower classes and his ego is bigger than his gym.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
I heard Franco blows goats, he barely teaches and if he does it would be for advanced fighters. He lets his underlings teach the lower classes and his ego is bigger than his gym.
There is nothing wrong with that. That is the norm for almost all martial arts studios. Head trainers will have the advanced fighters teach the beginner classes.

Why does the head trainer need to show a newbie how to throw a jab? Or a kick?

You have to realize that these pro martial arts trainers do it full time, they run the gym 5-7 days a week. Don't expect the head trainer to teach all the classes each and every day.

There's so much "i heard this/i heard that". I think people need to not listen to that type of shyt and formulate their own opinions by going down to the gym and trying the classes.

Some people praise Francos, some people don't. It's all relative....
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

took a look at dynamic mma today, seemed a little intimidating, however looked like a good gym to train at. think im gonna start my 1 week trial monday and see how it goes.
Brickface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

dynamic > franco
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

[QUOTE=TreyDoja;6587753]Dynamic MMA. Cambie and 42nd across from Oakridge Mall. Skytrain accessible.

If your looking for kickboxing, i'd stay away from Dynamic, they have a great BJJ program with legit liniage, but their "muay thai" is actually sport karate with some boxing, it's quite embarrising and Adam Ryan should be disgusted with him self for advertising it, he's just trying to sell his gym but saying he does something popular in hopes to fool people. With that being said, like i posted above, his BJJ is certified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur-lil-sw33tie View Post
[QUOTE=trancehead;6586757]I heard Franco's licks balls. Something along the lines of hes only there to make money

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
Well the part that he bearly teaches is true, he does do a lot with his more experenced guys, however even they get neglected. He gets his top man, Jeff Thornhill, a kickboxer to teach his muay thai classes for the most part, along with his top students. The place is quite small. There was a artical written by one of my best friends, it's a bit old...but it is still very relevent becasue not much has changed. As for Chris's kickboxing instruction, it's top notch. He is an good stand up coach and take everything i say with a grain of salt, but he is the straight goods. It's world class, now with that being said....getting to a class being tought by him on a regular basis is a hard thing to do and impossable to time.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60539

"ajarn song" tells people he is a thai master, but he's actually from laos. When you come in, he will sell you his vhs/dvds then tell you to come in during class hours and practice what you have watched on a heavy bag/thai pads...it's unbelievable.

There is a new gym called Iron City Muay Thai in a facility called sports centeral in richmond right by ikea and they also have 10th planet jiu jitsu in the same facilty. It's quite nice and the instruction is fantastic. But thats in richmond, it's close to the bridge, but if your not driving...it can be a hard with night transit being slow. However it's a new training facilty, new 24 foot ring, new mats and it's CLEAN, which can't be said about a lot of the other gyms, espc the ones named above

ps sorry for the sp and grammer, very busy right now

Last edited by IronLeg; 09-18-2009 at 01:00 PM.
IronLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: