REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Burnaby Manhole regulations? Bent control arm

Hey there everyone,

curious - what are the regulations in Burnaby for manholes?
I was driving along on Glylyon in Burnaby (the business park at the bottom of boundary that runs behind marine drive)
I came over a crest in the road where there was a manhole cover and the manhole cover went right through the middle of my wheels.

My car is quite low - not illegally (isnt lower than the tires) but its pretty slammed
I smoked the manhole lid so hard I broke my windshield. My alignment is fucked (pulls left), the suspension sqeaks on the right side, and i think the control arm is bent into an arc.

I know I'm going to have to fix this soon, but I want to know if I can hold the city accountable.

Wrong section? If so please help me move this thread to an appropriate section

thanks everyone
Advertisement
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Did you stop and take pictures? So the manhole cover is broken?

I think at situations like this, you might want to call a tow truck etc just to have an extra witness.

Document everything and call City of Burnaby.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

alright. I just wanted to make sure that even though my car is lowered, I may still have a case.
Also was just curious about regulations in case they did everything properly.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i rmb somewhere that Burnaby does not cover any damages caused by manhole, pothole.

Check on the website, I believe it was on there during the winter time when everyone was complaining about damaged rims due to pothole caused by the ice/snow
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/whatsn...ge-claims.html

lame

vancouver seems to cover it though:
http://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009...et-reimbursed/
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I think you don't really have a case ! Your car is slammed but not dumped ? If you manage to bent your LCA and windshield, are you going over 50 km/h? If the manhole can come in direct contact of your lower carriage, go measure the height of the manhole and present it to City of Burnaby. But as long as you show them pictures of your lowered car, I think they will just ignore you from there. This is from personal experience about 2 years ago !
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

yeah unfortunately i think you may be right

got a peek under the car today - lower control arm is definitely bent.
heat shield is torn, etc etc etc.
Until i get it up on a hoist I wont know how bad it really is.
But a lower control arm is ~60 bucks, and install is about 1hr of labour so not SUCH a big deal providing nothing else is fucked.

But i can drive it - it pulls left and the suspension squeaks when i turn/break from the right hand side, but it's drivable for now. Going to try and get it fixed by tuesday and cross my fingers that nothing else is wrecked under there.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
cracked windshield... am i the only one thinking bent chassis?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

i hope you are!!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm thinkin' "why the hell is he still driving it ,knowing that the CA is bent and not knowing what other issues could be there" another pothole/manhole cover could make it uncontrollable in traffic and people could die.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
1) report to icbc
2) take pics of damage, location, and what caused the damage
3) icbc will sue the city on your behalf

either way, if icbc is successful at suing the city, then ur good, if they arent, then you have the option of paying for it out of your pocket, or claiming it as a collision.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Of all the municipalities, Burnaby's roads are always the worst. No question.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Agreed
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
burnaby roads=cambie st. during canada line construction
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
1) report to icbc
2) take pics of damage, location, and what caused the damage
3) icbc will sue the city on your behalf

either way, if icbc is successful at suing the city, then ur good, if they arent, then you have the option of paying for it out of your pocket, or claiming it as a collision.
SG, will the fact my car is dumped factor negatively in their case?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Something like this happened to me the other day,

going north on boundary the road was being repaved and the manhole was sticking up

i was in a STOCK HEIGHTED G35

it was pretty bad, nothing broken just a few scuffs. just glad this happened 3 weeks ago.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
That'd have to be a lot of force, though if it was enough to bend the CA, it's possible the force went up through the A-pillar.

OP, check the alignment of the door and fender on the side that you hit the cover. Windshields are pretty hard to crack if it's not a direct hit on the glass itself.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Except I got a new M5 rim + tire off City of Vancouver.

Quote:
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

You know what? in the last 3 days, burnaby has managed to FUCK up willingdon (northbound) both lanes more than ever.

It was fine for a bit, with the grooved bumps, i go ~30-40 on just minor springs that i have on the car right now.

Supposed, the left side was originally better to drive on, cuz the right has dips and stuff for manholes

then the right was better to drive on cuz the left had that GIANT dip where the smooth part met the old part of it

now the left is better to drive out, cuz they cut out giant squares around 2inch thick and fairly large in the right lane.

Fucking willingdon is getting worse than no3 road... they keep tearing it up, causing more traffic, but it's the most direct (and fairly traffic free at times) road for me to travel between north and south burnaby without having to go ass-out of my way.

I'm pretty sure if i smoke one of those bad enough, i'll be ripping my suspension out too. can we sue for that? as it is part of the construction without warning or orange spray paint on it, however the construction signs are almost all down, or concealed on the side of the road (not visible).
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Kitami View Post
You know what? in the last 3 days, burnaby has managed to FUCK up willingdon (northbound) both lanes more than ever.

It was fine for a bit, with the grooved bumps, i go ~30-40 on just minor springs that i have on the car right now.

Supposed, the left side was originally better to drive on, cuz the right has dips and stuff for manholes

then the right was better to drive on cuz the left had that GIANT dip where the smooth part met the old part of it

now the left is better to drive out, cuz they cut out giant squares around 2inch thick and fairly large in the right lane.

Fucking willingdon is getting worse than no3 road... they keep tearing it up, causing more traffic, but it's the most direct (and fairly traffic free at times) road for me to travel between north and south burnaby without having to go ass-out of my way.

I'm pretty sure if i smoke one of those bad enough, i'll be ripping my suspension out too. can we sue for that? as it is part of the construction without warning or orange spray paint on it, however the construction signs are almost all down, or concealed on the side of the road (not visible).
i have a willingdon rant... heading southbound after the freeway overpass and getting on the next overpass for the train tracks, there is a step in the ashpalt and a several huge gaps that you can see through they you can't avoid hitting that i swear is getting worse and worse
Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
cambie between broadway and 12th during the construction.....

so horrible
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
I subscribe to Revscene

got control arm fixed. i hate willingdon too - have to drive on that stretch up the hill every day!!

as for the glass - im thinking that perhaps it was already broken and i was just paranoid
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Kitami View Post

dear fucking lord, i fucking hate that street now. both lanes are fucking rough as hell, as if im going off road in africa or sth. heard a huge bang going down that hill the other night..and i was like FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKk thx god i didnt bent my rims in my 40 series tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
got control arm fixed. i hate willingdon too - have to drive on that stretch up the hill every day!!

as for the glass - im thinking that perhaps it was already broken and i was just paranoid

willingdon = a road to avoid now
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

wow that ... is absolutely horrible X_X
Pocakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

cracked ur windshield? wow that sounds really effing bad
you! is offline   Reply With Quote