REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Alright I think I messed up: leaky frost plug repair

I found out my car to be leaking coolant when I parked so that's a bad sign, I crawled underneath it and I found out that the frost plug above the starter behind the turbo (read: cannot reach) is leaky

so I did the Chinese repair trick and went to buy a few tubes of those quiksteel like this:

and started just putting around the frost plug like playdoh...

now I used like 3 tubes of this stuff and the general area around the frost plug (and the coolant drain plug that's also leaking just underneath it) is covered with the stuff...

but it's still leaking! The problem now is that I can definitely not peel this stuff out and I can't drain my block without the drain plug, the radiator is completely drained and the area where this quiksteel was applied is now dripping at a very very slow rate (like 2 drips a second)

I reckon I made a grave mistake by applying the epoxy steel while it's still leaking because the water just made itself tiny passage ways inside the quiksteel and I just covered these passages with more layers of the stuff. But since it's epoxy it is never going to come off either......

What can I do? I'm letting it drip at the block now hoping that eventually it will stop and I can apply another layer of this qs thing on it and seal it up....but if I make any little mistake in doing that the stuff will leak AGAIN when I put in water and I'll have to wait forever for it to drain AGAIN.

Any better sure fire way to stop hairline leaks? drop an raw egg into the system? I don't really want to use the rad seal tablets because there are many horror stories how these tablets just clog up the entire cooling system. I have two turbos to cool that's not a risk I want to take.
Advertisement

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You try sodium silicate to try to seal from the inside.

Other than that.. I think you just have to bite it and tear everything apart and do things properly.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
where can I get sodium silicate?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Any auto store should have it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

Just check the label and also make sure the car is hot.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote