REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,247 Times in 2,360 Posts
Did B.C. gangster's man-purse spark assault?

ZZZZZ, oh god I wish you can make this shit up and I wonder if this is the same Bobby Gill or as he was nicknamed "Barbie Gill" back in the days who went to jail for beating up hookers on Kingsway?

Bindy Johal

Bal Buttar

Quote:
METRO VANCOUVER — Did a Surrey assault three years ago follow a surprise murder confession or an insult over a man-purse?

That’s the question Justice Kathleen Ker is facing after the three-day assault trial of gangster Manny Buttar in New Westminster Supreme Court.

Victim Pardeep Dhillon said Buttar slammed a glass across his face in a restaurant after Dhillon mentioned he was the cousin of slain gangster Bindy Johal.

He testified that an intoxicated Buttar admitted to “capping Johal” in 1998 and said he “killed for a living.”

But Buttar testified Wednesday that he has no idea why Dhillon — who he just met that night — would say he had confessed to murder. And he told Ker it was his huge pal Bobby Gill who was wailing on Dhillon after the restaurant patron had made a crack about Gill’s “man-purse.”

He said he tried to diffuse the conflict and get Gill out of the restaurant.

“To this day, we don’t know what possessed the guy to say what he said,” Buttar said. “I didn’t want this guy coming out because Bobby would have just crushed him.”

Buttar, 34, admitted to several convictions, including assault with a weapon, common assault for beating someone in the drunk tank and spitting on a police office.

And he admitted he had a drinking problem who went to his first Alcoholic’s Anonymous meeting just months after the assault at the India Kitchen Restaurant on November 6, 2006.

He said he was with Gill and another friend Tirathpal Dhillon and had stopped at the restaurant to watch the Canucks play the Calgary Flames, eat snacks and drink.

He said the assault happened as they were starting to leave because the game was over. Gill was upset because his beloved Canucks lost 5-4 to the Flames, Buttar testified.

He also denied the victim’s claim that one of his friends pulled a gun out during the assault. Buttar told Crown prosecutor Donna Ballyk that “we’re not going to carry a gun to watch the game.”

Gill, who Buttar described as a “big boy,” then testified as a defence witness, saying he was the one who inflicted the beating on Dhillon.

“I called him a f*****g clown and a village idiot and then I go — 'The next time you see a man with a purse, do not talk about his murse like that,’” Gill said. “Would you walk up to a guy weighing 240 pounds and tell him he looked silly wearing a purse?”

He also claimed to have watched the Canucks-Flames game closely because he had a bet on it. Just like Buttar, he said the Canucks lost to Calgary in overtime.

But then Ballyk showed him a print-out from NHL.com that showed the Canucks were playing Dallas the night of the assault and had in fact won the game. The Flames game was three days after the assault.

Ballyk suggested Gill and Buttar had colluded to present matching testimony, but looked up the wrong hockey game.

Gill said he had drank “six or seven doubles” of vodka and was driving that night, but he said he wasn’t worried because “I am usually good until 10 or more doubles.”

Gill, who’s unemployed and also admitted to a drinking problem and several assault convictions, testified that when his murse was mocked, he told Dhillon it was Louis Vuitton and cost more than all the money Dhillon had on him.

Defence lawyer Karen Bastow urged Ker to acquit her client saying three of the four civilian witnesses were drinking heavily and provided conflicting testimony.

She said the victim may have implicated Buttar in his cousin’s muder because Buttar “was long under suspicion for killing Bindy Johal.”

Vancouver Police have never publicly identified a suspect in Johal’s slaying. But Buttar’s younger brother Bal — a blind quadriplegic after a 2001 shooting — confessed to The Vancouver Sun in 2004 to arranging the hit.

Bastow said “the Crown has not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

But Ballyk said the most credible testimony came from the victim, also an admitted alcoholic, who had absolutely no reason to finger Buttar except that the events unfolded as he claimed.

“I think he would be awfully careful about pointing the finger at a man named Buttar,” Ballyk said.

Ker reserved her decision until Oct. 15.

kbolan@vancouversun.com

Read Kim Bolan's blog, The Real Scoop

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Advertisement

Last edited by Harvey Specter; 09-16-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'm not brown, but Kim Bolan(article writer) is a cunt who only writes to hate on brown people.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
NSX
NA1

lol at the sunglasses
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

"Gill said he had drank “six or seven doubles” of vodka and was driving that night, but he said he wasn’t worried because “I am usually good until 10 or more doubles.”"

right.

These guys sound like fucking idiots.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
I'm not brown, but Kim Bolan(article writer) is a cunt who only writes to hate on brown people.
Your the only one "hating" in this thread. Ban this fool.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I'm not sure why this gangster shit makes the news anymore. Hopefully they just all murder each other so the rest of us can stop being bothered by it.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
who's the butter balls guy in the picture? barbie girl beat up butter balls?

The article talks about manly balls but the picture is of butter balls? I don't get gangsters...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
- i agree, everyone knows she specializes in dissecting everything about E.I's to help her racist and biased views. That being said, funny friggin article, like geez. I guess there hasn't been any brown on brown violence in a while, so she digs this shit up, an assault case that was barely even mentioned when it actually happened. But now its her flavor of the day, fkin bitch...

Anyhow, yes Jah, thats the same guy, and its actually "Barbie Gall" he was called, used to (maybe still does) wear makeup too. NO joke.

Tools indeed. See the thing that really gets me a bout this shit, is that stupid ppl and those who live in their ivory towers in North/West Van read this garbage and see the pics (esp. of the cayenne) and will automatically assume that any "brown" skinned guy who drives a black, higher end SUV has to be shady or a DD. But the problem is, theres guys like me who are legitametly(sp) employeed and also have black SUV's, and when going to/from the gym, may be wearing a hoody. Friggin bs stereotypes and indiots like this giving free ammo to racist reporters.....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
The guy with the glasses was shot in the head twice. He's crippled now. You can read all about him and Bindy Johal here: http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/...7-0934e162c85c from 2005.

It's a fascinating article. Whether you like/hate this stuff, it's not often you see such a detailed article being written about these things. Everybody assumes what little bits they get from the news is the gist of it all, but there's more behind the scenes we rarely get to see, or in this case, read about.

Coincidentally, the article is written by Kim Bolan as well. It seemed pretty unbias to me. If anything, she wrote what Buttar told her. With the absence of Buttar himself to say otherwise, I'm inclined to believe what she said is nearest to the truth.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

lol these guys is old skool now, weird to even be hearing about this nowadays.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #11

^^ like i said, old friggin news, being dug up cuz she ain't got any new material to write about. Wasn't enough negative stuff in the papers bout E.I's lately, the Sun had to hit their quota.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

One thing always comes to my mind after all these years. What's with brown people loving hockey so much ?
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #13

^ cuz we're Canadian.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
The guy with the glasses was shot in the head twice. He's crippled now. You can read all about him and Bindy Johal here: http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/...7-0934e162c85c from 2005.

It's a fascinating article. Whether you like/hate this stuff, it's not often you see such a detailed article being written about these things. Everybody assumes what little bits they get from the news is the gist of it all, but there's more behind the scenes we rarely get to see, or in this case, read about.

Coincidentally, the article is written by Kim Bolan as well. It seemed pretty unbias to me. If anything, she wrote what Buttar told her. With the absence of Buttar himself to say otherwise, I'm inclined to believe what she said is nearest to the truth.

It was a great read, can't believe how life can be so tough for some people
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i don't read blogs but. this article seems pretty cut and dry to me.
somebody highlight the alleged 'racism'?
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

that last pic was amusing

any news on that shooting in west van?
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,247 Times in 2,360 Posts
Well the entire Vancouver Sun has a hard on for the EI community which is been pushed by Kim. It's funny when she tries to defend herself on her blog but she's the first one to jump at a story about EI even if it's not gang related. She needs to stop living in the 90's and yes, Bobby did wear makeup....lol.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Wasnt that group of hitmen called "The Elite" or something similar?
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
maybe we should go chinese style and just send the army in so...no more gangsters
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #20
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjag View Post
- i agree, everyone knows she specializes in dissecting everything about E.I's to help her racist and biased views. That being said, funny friggin article, like geez. I guess there hasn't been any brown on brown violence in a while, so she digs this shit up, an assault case that was barely even mentioned when it actually happened. But now its her flavor of the day, fkin bitch...

Anyhow, yes Jah, thats the same guy, and its actually "Barbie Gall" he was called, used to (maybe still does) wear makeup too. NO joke.

Tools indeed. See the thing that really gets me a bout this shit, is that stupid ppl and those who live in their ivory towers in North/West Van read this garbage and see the pics (esp. of the cayenne) and will automatically assume that any "brown" skinned guy who drives a black, higher end SUV has to be shady or a DD. But the problem is, theres guys like me who are legitametly(sp) employeed and also have black SUV's, and when going to/from the gym, may be wearing a hoody. Friggin bs stereotypes and indiots like this giving free ammo to racist reporters.....
yeah but she's basing it on facts though isn't she?

if she made up news that's a whole other level.
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I don't see any brown racism.

Look at her blog and the sheer volume of stuff she covers. You folks are just choosing to see what you want to see and fail to pick out her other coverage because it's not about brown people so therefore it's of no interest to you.

As for why this bar-fight that no one supposedly cares about is actually important: There are implications being made, in court, that reveal a killer of Bindy Johal. Hence, why she is covering the topic.

Some of you folks need to turn off your 2Pac CD's and lay off the conspiracy theories. Kim Bolan is not the reason we are stereotyped. The actions of our cohorts are the reasons we are stereotyped. To change the way people view us, we have to look within our own culture.

Kev
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
^ this is the theme song. not 2pac http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7GTSq7DHzo
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #23

hmm.

Last edited by jigjag; 09-18-2009 at 08:47 AM.
jigjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I don't see any brown racism.

Look at her blog and the sheer volume of stuff she covers. You folks are just choosing to see what you want to see and fail to pick out her other coverage because it's not about brown people so therefore it's of no interest to you.

As for why this bar-fight that no one supposedly cares about is actually important: There are implications being made, in court, that reveal a killer of Bindy Johal. Hence, why she is covering the topic.

Some of you folks need to turn off your 2Pac CD's and lay off the conspiracy theories. Kim Bolan is not the reason we are stereotyped. The actions of our cohorts are the reasons we are stereotyped. To change the way people view us, we have to look within our own culture.

Kev
R u effin' kidding me? Granted, some of her articles are indeed "fact based" and do seem to be objective. But remember every tabloid injects even a bit of truth to keep their work relatively reputable. I'm not sure how long u've read the papers/kept up to date w/ media, etc. But those who have for a while, know that she is very focused on E.I. news and related issues therein. I don’t have the time (or desire for that matter) to go back and pluck 100’s of articles by her that were seemingly irrelevant to the title of the article. For instance she will plaster a title such as “Gang members linked to BC company” and the article will some shit about how some random employee married into a family where the 3rd nephew, twice removed, was once found in the same car as some other dude who was charged for possession of a joint. – u see what i’m sayin? Also, if you read critically, u can see that her reporting is driven by a preoccupation with E.I’s.

Ya, look at the sheer volume of the stuff she has covered, then screen out the ones that have nothing to do with any dippers (like no mention of anyone that is), and then screen out the articles that are factual w/ out any opinionated “research”. It will become quickly evident what is the focus of her work.

And for the “implications” that it could be the big reveal of the “killer” of bindy. Get a clue. Its Nothing Bal didn’t already tell her and nothing she and others don’t already know. You gotta think bout the bigger picture and how splashing this on so prominently impacts readers (albeit subconsciously). Its like, “oh shit, they mentioned Bindy! This must be some serious shit!” when in fact its about a old assault charge by two retards against some other retard at a retarded bar in slurrey.
Seriously, r we letting the reporters do the cops job now? Anyhow, that is NOT why she is covering the topic. She’s covering it because its its been slow in the news, esp. On the gangland scene, so she goes and makes a bindy story out of this shit. It sells papers and it makes for an interesting discussion, hence why we’re talking here.

I agree w/ you that w/ need to look w/in ourselves and culture to change the way ppl view us (as mentioned earlier that we need to stop giving ammo, or material to reporters such as this). That being said, the systemic racism inherent to our media persists and should be critically looked at before simply taken as fact(s) w/out being questioned.

Imma go listen to the Eagles now. Tupac makes me wanna fight.

Cheers,
j

ps. sorry bout the long reply, but kb's a beyotch str8 up.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjag View Post
R u effin' kidding me? Granted, some of her articles are indeed "fact based" and do seem to be objective. But remember every tabloid injects even a bit of truth to keep their work relatively reputable. I'm not sure how long u've read the papers/kept up to date w/ media, etc. But those who have for a while, know that she is very focused on E.I. news and related issues therein. I don’t have the time (or desire for that matter) to go back and pluck 100’s of articles by her that were seemingly irrelevant to the title of the article. For instance she will plaster a title such as “Gang members linked to BC company” and the article will some shit about how some random employee married into a family where the 3rd nephew, twice removed, was once found in the same car as some other dude who was charged for possession of a joint. – u see what i’m sayin? Also, if you read critically, u can see that her reporting is driven by a preoccupation with E.I’s.

Ya, look at the sheer volume of the stuff she has covered, then screen out the ones that have nothing to do with any dippers (like no mention of anyone that is), and then screen out the articles that are factual w/ out any opinionated “research”. It will become quickly evident what is the focus of her work.

And for the “implications” that it could be the big reveal of the “killer” of bindy. Get a clue. Its Nothing Bal didn’t already tell her and nothing she and others don’t already know. You gotta think bout the bigger picture and how splashing this on so prominently impacts readers (albeit subconsciously). Its like, “oh shit, they mentioned Bindy! This must be some serious shit!” when in fact its about a old assault charge by two retards against some other retard at a retarded bar in slurrey.
Seriously, r we letting the reporters do the cops job now? Anyhow, that is NOT why she is covering the topic. She’s covering it because its its been slow in the news, esp. On the gangland scene, so she goes and makes a bindy story out of this shit. It sells papers and it makes for an interesting discussion, hence why we’re talking here.

I agree w/ you that w/ need to look w/in ourselves and culture to change the way ppl view us (as mentioned earlier that we need to stop giving ammo, or material to reporters such as this). That being said, the systemic racism inherent to our media persists and should be critically looked at before simply taken as fact(s) w/out being questioned.

Imma go listen to the Eagles now. Tupac makes me wanna fight.

Cheers,
j

ps. sorry bout the long reply, but kb's a beyotch str8 up.

You sound like the very person you criticize:

You allege that her Kim B's work has racial agendas. However your assumptions are based on your own personal opinions of her.

You allege that this is all due to a "slow work" day. Yet you manage to connect the conspiratorial dots

I think I know what you're trying to get at, but your tirade is hurting your case more than it helps. Try not being a hothead.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote