REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Milk for Lactose-Intolerant People (https://www.revscene.net/forums/589637-milk-lactose-intolerant-people.html)

JulyZerg 09-17-2009 03:27 PM

Milk for Lactose-Intolerant People

So everytime I drink milk I get the runs...which is pretty gay...I can eat dairy-products that are made with milk like Ice-cream and Cheese and I'm fine but it's just when I drink a glass of milk I get the runs.

What's the best tasting or best alternative to milk for Lactose Intolerant people?

Thanks.

DC5-S 09-17-2009 03:30 PM

me too I get the runs as well.. what I do is buy Lactose-free Milk.. its like $4.50 for 2 litres.. expensive, but i drink 1 cup a day (mix it in my shake)

InvisibleSoul 09-17-2009 04:53 PM

Or you can drink regular milk but take Lactaid pills...

aznrsx1979 09-17-2009 05:07 PM

There's potato milk. I've never tried it though so i'm not sure of the taste.

Fafine 09-17-2009 05:49 PM

drink a little at a time to try and get use to it? since you can eat cheese and icecream just fine.

SkinnyPupp 09-17-2009 07:07 PM

Or you can skip milk all together. It's not like it's a necessity in life.

Manic! 09-17-2009 07:36 PM

Dairyland sells lactose free milk.

E=mc˛ 09-17-2009 08:52 PM

I find that if I drink milk in the morning I sometimes get a stomach ache.
During the rest of the day, a glass or two are fine.

hal0g0dv2 09-17-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6598219)
Or you can skip milk all together. It's not like it's a necessity in life.

say what

!SG 09-17-2009 10:09 PM

take lactaid enzyme pills,

in recent years, ive become lactose in tolerant. no milke, no bubble tea, no cereal, hell, not even milk in my coffee =(

SkinnyPupp 09-17-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6598511)
say what

You can get by just fine without milk. The only time I drink milk is with my coffee, and occasionally in a protein shake. But coconut milk has replaced regular milk in that regard.

Also try drinking whole milk (you should never drink skim milk anyway), because lactose intolerant people generally have a better time digesting whole milk. (source)

!SG 09-18-2009 07:12 AM

its tough when there are a lot of foods and drinks that have milk products in them, especially in the north america diet.

its even more rough when you develop lactose intolerance. in my case, i was easily a 4L jug of milk a week person. i grew up drinking milk, and pretty much the only one in the family that did.

and sucks that i cant even eat ice cream! *insert starwars darth vaders... NooOOoOOOOOOOO!!!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6598636)
You can get by just fine without milk. The only time I drink milk is with my coffee, and occasionally in a protein shake. But coconut milk has replaced regular milk in that regard.

Also try drinking whole milk (you should never drink skim milk anyway), because lactose intolerant people generally have a better time digesting whole milk. (source)

!Yaminashi 09-18-2009 08:36 AM

What about soy milk? Theyre flavored y'know

SkinnyPupp 09-18-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6599053)
What about soy milk? Theyre flavored y'know

What about drinking turpentine? No lactose at all in there! And it won't even shrink your balls like Soy ;)

blkgsr 09-18-2009 08:45 AM

Almond milk, by far the best tasting over Soy and Rice milks

danlee78 09-19-2009 04:46 AM

does soy really shrink ur balls? like mtn dew and menthol cigarette's kill ur sperm?

sounds like BS to me...anyways, back on topic...i get the runs as well, but drink lil by lil daily and ur system will get use to lactose again...I also take lactaid pills for those times i'm out and about "pop in mouth and it dissolves"

haymura 09-19-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6598096)
drink a little at a time to try and get use to it? since you can eat cheese and icecream just fine.

i agree with this. i use to drink milk back then but i stopped drinking for like 4 years. When i started drinking milk again i get the runs and stomach ache all together coupled with bloating or gas. I kept drinking a small amount until my body got used to it again. Now im drinking 2 glasses a day and have no problems. Milk has bacterias and also milk is a liquid that is hard to digest. your digestive system just has to get used to it. Although for lactose intolerant ppl its obviously a different case. OP is not likely lactose intolerant cuz he can eat other dairy products.

SkinnyPupp 09-19-2009 06:54 AM

I find that, in HK anyway, some brands of milk are hard to stomach. I am not the least bit lactose intolerant, but there are some brands that give me the nastiest ass-ripping farts. It's probably milk from China :lol

hal0g0dv2 09-21-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6598636)

u just drink coconut milk

Volvo-brickster 09-24-2009 03:00 PM

how does the body become lactose intolerant if you have been drinking it for years ?

Nocardia 09-24-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster (Post 6607796)
how does the body become lactose intolerant if you have been drinking it for years ?

I think i remember learning that it is actually genetically linked. Lactose is broken down by lactase and as people get older, some have decreased expression of lactase.

Therefore, if you don't break down lactose, it wont get absorbed and then it basically causes osmotic diarrhea.

It is actually really common too.

miss_crayon 09-26-2009 10:21 PM

sunrise soy milk light for me! i've always loved milk and in recent years have become unable to stomach it. i've tried skim for awhile but i find that even then it doesn't sit too well with me so now it's purely soy for me!

Gumby 09-28-2009 08:37 AM

I don't like soy milk at all. I can eat tofu no problem, but the thought of drinking liquid tofu just doesn't sit well with me. :)

SkinnyPupp 09-28-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 6610480)
sunrise soy milk light for me! i've always loved milk and in recent years have become unable to stomach it. i've tried skim for awhile but i find that even then it doesn't sit too well with me so now it's purely soy for me!

If you are the least bit lactose intolerant, skim milk is going to be worse than full fat milk. Well it's worse in pretty much every other way too...

twitchyzero 09-28-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6598096)

excellent advice
try conditioning to see if you really are lactose intolerant.

i find if you can eat yogart just fine then you probably arent lactose intolerant.