REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Question who is the biggest motorcycle company?

we know that Toyota(I think?) is the largest car company, but what about motorcycle?

I did a research on google and nothing came up.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Honda is number one for motorcycles/engines produced. They sold the most to the US after war because they were a cheap way of transportation (bicycle with small motor). I remember seeing a couple videos of the history of Honda.

Quote:
Honda is the world's largest manufacturer of motorcycles as well as the world's largest manufacturer of internal combustion engines measured by volume.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda#History

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

Found it:

Go to Twist the Throttle > Pick a clip > Part 1

Watch the other ones too, they're all pretty interesting.

http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/?p...pId=1454906888

feedback
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Interesting...
seems like motorcycles have come a long way.
KingCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #5

Yeah, I'm surprised that with Yamaha's new crossplane technology hasn't made its way into automobiles yet (cylinders firing at 90 degree angles vs 180). I'm sure it benefits traction on such low weight sportbikes, but if a production vehicle pumping out 300 hp to it's rear wheels could surely use the benefit of more traction. Of course, there is probably the cost of production to factor in.

feedback
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

harley
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #7

Harleys are V-twins, they fire at 45 degrees, but there only 2 pistons, and there is a gap of 405 degrees after each piston fire.

A crossplane 4 banger will fire piston 1 @ 90, 2 @ 180, 3 @ 270, 4 @ 360. Unlike a traditional 4 banger firing 2 pistons at once (180 gap), crossplane reduces the pulsing, and smooths out the traction. Essentially you only have a 90 degree gap.

So its not like a Harley where it has high rotational inertia, the crossplane is much more smooth.

feedback
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
You also forgot to mention Harleys suck.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
Harleys are V-twins, they fire at 45 degrees, but there only 2 pistons, and there is a gap of 405 degrees after each piston fire.

A crossplane 4 banger will fire piston 1 @ 90, 2 @ 180, 3 @ 270, 4 @ 360. Unlike a traditional 4 banger firing 2 pistons at once (180 gap), crossplane reduces the pulsing, and smooths out the traction. Essentially you only have a 90 degree gap.

So its not like a Harley where it has high rotational inertia, the crossplane is much more smooth.
Hmm according to this video, each cylinder of a normal 4 banger is fired every 360 degrees even when 2 of them are at the same position. I am wondering why they don't fire 2 cylinders at the same time? That should produce more power, no?

haha check out the wacky firing pattern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTXMtTTKQw

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #10

^ yea that video explains everything better than I do. I was just strumming out what I could remember.

On the side of things, that video is so whack... there's like a guy singing numbers, guitars and drums together with crank shafts and bikes... it's like they shoved everything into a blender and blended it.

feedback
Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
However, he hinted that there is another way to aid rear-tire traction, and one that doesn’t involve electronics. Curious about what he referred to, I asked if there was the possibility of using a single-plane crankshaft arrangement in which the two paired pistons fire at the same time (instead of 180 degrees apart), similar to a project used a few years ago in the British Superbike championship on a Yamaha R1. That engine proved to work well in wet conditions, but it was soon outlawed by race organizers.

Nishida-san’s response indicated I was barking up the wrong tree, but any loyal engineer would naturally want to keep information like that to himself. Whatever the case, we may see something special in the engine compartment when the next R6 is revealed.
Extracted this from a 2009 R1 review...

I guess they did make an engine that the two paired pistons fire at the same time... I wonder what effects that makes.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Not sure what you're talking about, but EVERY 4-stroke engine cylinder fires every 720 degrees (2 full strokes, down and up, which requires 2 full turns of the crankshaft). Hence the name. If the cylinders are fired evenly (in terms of time) and individually, divide 720 by the number of cylinders. For example, for an I4, you have 1 firing every 180 degrees.

Harleys do the uneven 45deg thing with their twins because it gives them that trademark gurgling (blup blup blup) sound. But what I said above still applies.

Honda is also one of the only companies that designs and makes engines for cars AND bikes. BMW is the only other one I can think of, but I thought I read somewhere once their bike engines are now all made in China.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Depends if you include scooters in with motorcycles or not.
Boardercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Honda is also one of the only companies that designs and makes engines for cars AND bikes. BMW is the only other one I can think of, but I thought I read somewhere once their bike engines are now all made in China.

Not to sure, but doesn't Suzuki design and make their own engines for bikes and cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I am not sure which is the biggest, but I read somewhere Piaggio is the 4th motorcycle maker. Piaggio is the mother company of Vespa, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Derbi and a few more smaller brand...
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
honda is the largest BY FAR

i read an article its like double the size of the second.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
RS Lurker, I don't post!

well the biggest company is.......... ya TVS,TVS workforce making it the first time that any two-wheeler company has attempted successful multiple rollouts on a single day.
mikkycalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
really? because right on their home page it says "TVS Motor Company is the third largest two-wheeler manufacturer in India "
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Yeah honda is by far the biggest.
newguyoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
I STILL don't get it

Honda wins w/ their awesome engineering, prrolly sent theirr engineerrs to help tune a specific Civic thus makin it the best production FF car evaRR
Posted via RS Mobile
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote