REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Buying AUDI Q5 - Questions

I m looking into buying an Audi Q5

Getting
Premium Package,
S-Line,
Bang & Olufsen,
Technology Package

I've heard from a lot friends said that Audi cars might have a lot problem after 4~6 years of driving. Service fee will be crazy expensive after warranty expires.
I am planing to keep this car for 5 years or longer, if it doesn't give me too much trouble.
Can I have some opinion from you guys ?

Also, who should i buy it from ? anywhere I can get a good deal on this car ?
Advertisement

Last edited by ime2006; 09-22-2009 at 12:55 AM.
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
The "You'd Know" Moderator

How long do you plan to keep the car?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
How long do you plan to keep the car?
I am planing to keep this car for 5 years or longer, if it doesn't give me too much trouble.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
maybe contact LP auto our sponsor and see if they can get you a good price

As far as reliability I think it should be pretty good, too soon to tell.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
maybe contact LP auto our sponsor and see if they can get you a good price

As far as reliability I think it should be pretty good, too soon to tell.

Where can i contact LP Auto sponsor ?
Sorry, i m kind of rookie here.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #6

I only know couple of the locations for buying an Audi

1. North Vancouver Audi.
2. Burnaby Audi
3. Richmond Audi

Out of these 3, which is the best to go ?
or any other locations ? or connections i should go to for a good deal ?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
I only know couple of the locations for buying an Audi

1. North Vancouver Audi.
2. Burnaby Audi
3. Richmond Audi

Out of these 3, which is the best to go ?
or any other locations ? or connections i should go to for a good deal ?
from your list:

1. capilano
2. open road (it's on the vancouver side of boundary, not burnaby)
3. cowell

of the three, cowell is the worst, and capilano is the best. not sure about open road because my friend went to buy an a3 there and he said the salespeople belittled him

if you're that brave to keep an audi for that long, i would invest in a comprehensive extended warranty. negotiate it into the purchase price if you can.

Last edited by thumper; 09-22-2009 at 08:26 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
hahaha you don't have to be brave to keep an audi for a long time, you just need to maintain it. its not a civic thats for sure... my previous Audi was a 98 1.8T with 200k MILES on it on the original engine/turbo/tranny. Half of the revscene beloved civics and 325i's dont even make it that long. but anyways. If you're planning on buying the car for cash, you should negotiate an extended warranty that takes over as soon as the original warranty expires. I've got Fidelity insurance on my S6, it cost me just under $4k for 5 years/100km. you might be able to negotiate something at the dealership. I don't know if there's a wait for Q5's or not, if they have a few on the lot, you may be able to negotiate... if there's a lineup for them, you'll be lucky to get off paying MSRP... and once again, no you won't be crazy/brave for keeping an audi for 5-6 years, i've had theree audi's that are the oldest is 10 years old now, still running great. just do all the maintenance on them and the car will treat you the same way.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
hahaha you don't have to be brave to keep an audi for a long time, you just need to maintain it. its not a civic thats for sure... my previous Audi was a 98 1.8T with 200k MILES on it on the original engine/turbo/tranny. Half of the revscene beloved civics and 325i's dont even make it that long. but anyways. If you're planning on buying the car for cash, you should negotiate an extended warranty that takes over as soon as the original warranty expires. I've got Fidelity insurance on my S6, it cost me just under $4k for 5 years/100km. you might be able to negotiate something at the dealership. I don't know if there's a wait for Q5's or not, if they have a few on the lot, you may be able to negotiate... if there's a lineup for them, you'll be lucky to get off paying MSRP... and once again, no you won't be crazy/brave for keeping an audi for 5-6 years, i've had theree audi's that are the oldest is 10 years old now, still running great. just do all the maintenance on them and the car will treat you the same way.

your comments above goes against your "Fast, Reliable, Cheap. A car can be only 2 out of the 3" motto

wow $4k for extended. i've never dealt with extended before because i've only owned japanese cars until now and never had the need to have it. but now i have the VW it's always on my mind... what does your extended warranty specifically cover?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #10

fidelity warranty is great... they cover everything the original warranty would cover, and in some cases more... they are great to deal with, and they are endorsed by Audi, so you just take your car to the dealership and they take care of the costs... and my motto still stands, since Audi's aren't cheap... lol...
and $4k is for my car becasue parts are so damn expensive... tranny replacement is $10k and up, and Audi's auto trannies aren't the most reliable things, mine had already been replaced by Audi under the original warranty, and once I saw the bill, I decided that paying $4k for warranty is better than paying $10k for a tranny... for the Q5 it may be cheaper, it all depends.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
Witness protection

Quote:
fidelity warranty is great... they cover everything the original warranty would cover, and in some cases more... they are great to deal with, and they are endorsed by Audi, so you just take your car to the dealership and they take care of the costs... and my motto still stands, since Audi's aren't cheap... lol...
and $4k is for my car becasue parts are so damn expensive... tranny replacement is $10k and up, and Audi's auto trannies aren't the most reliable things, mine had already been replaced by Audi under the original warranty, and once I saw the bill, I decided that paying $4k for warranty is better than paying $10k for a tranny... for the Q5 it may be cheaper, it all depends.

(sorry to OP... sort of off topic)

based on what you said above, is it better to just lease or trade in for something newer still under factory warranty, as opposed to spending the $4k for an aging car?

just taking a brief look online and audi resale values don't look good
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
I read somewhere that Q5s eat through brakes like no tomorrow. So much so that owners were considering a lawsuit, or something like that.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
(sorry to OP... sort of off topic)

based on what you said above, is it better to just lease or trade in for something newer still under factory warranty, as opposed to spending the $4k for an aging car?

just taking a brief look online and audi resale values don't look good
resale values do suck... and if i were buying a new car, any new car, i would not buy it for cash. first of all you're tying up $50k+ into something that is not making you money, its losing you money. I would lease a new car, and then return it when the lease is up... I don't buy new cars on principal (sp?), I pick up cars off lease returns... my current car, the original owner leased it off the lot, paid about $110k for it after taxes and that. he had it for 3 years. I picked it up from a lease return auction through a friend of mine for just over $50k after taxes. Now I don't mind saving over $50k on a car that has 25km on it and has been maintained at the dealership its whole life and was owned by an older business man. Now if i were to sell my car, i would be lucky to get $35k for it, but what can you do... peoples opinions about audi's aren't great around here due to the fact people say things like....

"if you're that brave to keep an audi for that long"

Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
but i thought electric was more of a major issue for Audis
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #15

never had a single electrical problem with any of mine... "knock on wood"... i know VW's have had some electrical problems in the past, not so much nowdays....

Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Witness protection

Quote:
"if you're that brave to keep an audi for that long"
yes. i've had 2 friends who used to own A4's and both swore never to own an audi again. at least one of them was well treated by clarkdale back when they used to sell audi, or else he would have dumped it sooner (the other friend is in seattle). the friend i mentioned above with buying an A3 did end up getting one (new), but it's just getting worse and worse with age. it's got something like 30k kms on it and it just sounds like it wants to fall apart with all the squeaks and rattles it has (car is stock), he's on his second cv joint, the radio keeps cutting out because of some stupid problem with the amplified antenna and the autoup/down on the driver's side window is not working (again). right now he's counting the days for his lease to end so that he can get out of it and never look back... i dosen't help that he keeps going back to cowell because he dosen't want to leave richmond

having said that, i have a family friend overseas who has the last-gen S4 avant and has over 60kms on it now with absolutely zero problems from day one, and he's very happy with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #17

well i guess it depends on the car... A3's are glorified Golf's so you can't expect much there... A4's seem to be hit and miss.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
Witness protection

is the audi s5 it's own design, or is it based off an existing platform in the VAG lineup?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #19

S5 is based on the A5 which is based on the B8 platform shared with the new A4 and S4.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Witness protection

the technology package is just homelink, adaptive headlights, Audi advanced key and Audi side assist? is it really necessary? aside from the homelink, i'm just not sure if the added complexity of these systems is worth the increased potential for problems
Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #21

meh i really like advanced key... just keep it in your pocket touch the door to open it, push the button to start it. adaptive headlights aren't really necessary, neighter is side assist if you can shoulder check lol... as far as potential problems i dunno, never heard of any

Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
Witness protection

i'm worried about the advanced key failing and not being able to get into or start the car. i'm not singling out audi for this... i've been in a lexus es330 that wouldn't start because it couldn't detect the key fob and we were stuck waiting for roadside assist... i guess i'm just old fashioned and like having a key.

and the side assist might be the equivalent of having your in-laws driving from the back seat
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #23

Quote:
meh i really like advanced key... just keep it in your pocket touch the door to open it, push the button to start it. adaptive headlights aren't really necessary, neighter is side assist if you can shoulder check lol... as far as potential problems i dunno, never heard of any
Haha ~ exactly same reason why i love Technology package.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #24

btw, by reading from all the opinions.......

It gives me an idea that its half half chance to have problem on Audi after long run.
This kinda scares me of buying an Audi.....

In my mind, I also have Lexus RX350.

But, damn...I love the looks of Q5 S-Line.......

Can Anyone list "Advantage" and "Disadvantage" between RX350 and Q5 here ?

Last edited by ime2006; 09-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post

Can Anyone list "Advantage" and "Disadvantage" between RX350 and Q5 here ?
audi q5 ftw according to this (rx350 scored 3rd out of 4 places): http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...c60/specs.html

Last edited by thumper; 09-22-2009 at 11:48 AM.