REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I would stay away from cars that are in their first 3 years of manufacture.. Like it or not the manufacturing process always takes a while to get to the best level. No matter it is a Lexus or an Audi.
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
my mom has an RX350... i mean its a nice car and all, but damn is it boring... and there are annoying quirks that it has to go to the deealership for pretty opften as well... like last month the TPMS sensors in two wheels started malfunctioninng for no reason which meant they all had to be replaced and the system reset, then the remote entry stopped working, so again it had to go abck to the dealership and get the key re-programmed.i guess it depends on what you're looking for... btw the stock tires on the RX are garbage, last winter she could not even get out of her driveway

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #28
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
never had a single electrical problem with any of mine... "knock on wood"... i know VW's have had some electrical problems in the past, not so much nowdays....
guess u are the lucky one

3 friends had 2001 style A4 and S4, had numerous problems until they were forced to sell since they had no choice. Dad's friend had a 05 A6, oil pan leaked and went back to the dealership 7 times still not fixed. Sold it after

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
btw, by reading from all the opinions.......

It gives me an idea that its half half chance to have problem on Audi after long run.
This kinda scares me of buying an Audi.....

In my mind, I also have Lexus RX350.

But, damn...I love the looks of Q5 S-Line.......

Can Anyone list "Advantage" and "Disadvantage" between RX350 and Q5 here ?

RX350 overall toyota reliablity, regular maintenance and MOST of the stuff shouldnt go wrong.
wonna consider MDX? probably the cheapest out of ur choice. 300hp 280 pounds of torque SH-AWD , very nice interior. $40-50 g dependn on package and sales
Q5 germany engineering, most feedback on the steering wheel, stiffer sportier suspension. but more small problems, higher costs for parts as well as labor if it goes wrong
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
my mom has an RX350... i mean its a nice car and all, but damn is it boring... and there are annoying quirks that it has to go to the deealership for pretty opften as well... like last month the TPMS sensors in two wheels started malfunctioninng for no reason which meant they all had to be replaced and the system reset, then the remote entry stopped working, so again it had to go abck to the dealership and get the key re-programmed.i guess it depends on what you're looking for... btw the stock tires on the RX are garbage, last winter she could not even get out of her driveway
im surprised, all wheel drive even with all season cant be that bad?

last year with all the large amount of snow, my tenant had a CRV with all season and was able to climb up our outdoor parkade ramp (never been shoveled and the snow was roughly 22-28cm high) 35% degree ramp
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
lol she drove it up a hill and stopped and the thing started sliding backwards...

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #31
Banned (BBM)

pretty damn scary!

terrible all season?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
yeah. i think OEM for the 350 was was the Michelin MV4 S8, which are a usless tire other than having low rolling resistance for better fuel econ.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #33
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i'm worried about the advanced key failing and not being able to get into or start the car. i'm not singling out audi for this... i've been in a lexus es330 that wouldn't start because it couldn't detect the key fob and we were stuck waiting for roadside assist... i guess i'm just old fashioned and like having a key.

and the side assist might be the equivalent of having your in-laws driving from the back seat
Toyota has a manual key built into the Prius key fob in case the battery runs out, so it'll get you into the car. There's also a place in the dash to insert the fob in case of dead battery. I would expect the Lexus to have something like that too.. or maybe it doesn't.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #34
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lol about the key fob, it was in my pocket while my dad was driving the GL in downtown seattle, I got off the car as he circled the block and 10 minutes later I freak out and i'm like oh shit! worrying cause of that TG episode were clarkson drives the challenger into the middle of the street, and i thought the same thing might happen since they're probably the same system or similar,
I guess not, worked fine, lol car didn't give a shit

I find mercedes to have all the electrical problems and people will hold that and generalize against german cars, we've had a few vw/audis/bmws and they've been fairly reliable (besides the first MY Z3 :rolleyes), but every recent mercedes was trouble
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #35
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Toyota has a manual key built into the Prius key fob in case the battery runs out, so it'll get you into the car. There's also a place in the dash to insert the fob in case of dead battery. I would expect the Lexus to have something like that too.. or maybe it doesn't.
i'm not sure it was a service loaner. u had to push a button to start, and push again to shut the engine off. except it wouldn't start, even with the fob out of the pocket and against the steering column, dash, everywhere.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
kyo
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

here's a recent article on the Q5:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/23/r...gic-at-a-cost/
kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The problem with German cars isn't the engine, its the electrical systems. It seems that after 4-5 years, lots of electrical problems happen here and there. Now I've had lots of friends with such cars who say they haven't had problems, but if you read the reliability statistics on Consumer Reports, the graphs that show least problems after 3 years, 5 years, and 7 years, the top 5 are all Japanese cars.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
I m looking into buying an Audi Q5

Getting
Premium Package,
S-Line,
Bang & Olufsen,
Technology Package

I've heard from a lot friends said that Audi cars might have a lot problem after 4~6 years of driving. Service fee will be crazy expensive after warranty expires.
I am planing to keep this car for 5 years or longer, if it doesn't give me too much trouble.
Can I have some opinion from you guys ?

Also, who should i buy it from ? anywhere I can get a good deal on this car ?
Can you get the S-Line package with the Premium Package in Canada? In the United States you have to get the Premium Plus trim level in order to get the S-Line.
iamaudi is offline   Reply With Quote