REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Using a Slightly Different Spec Tire

The standard tires for my car are 185/60/15, which is somewhat of an oddball size.

Is it a big deal if I use 185/65/15 instead?

I used a tire size calculator and it estimated it to be approximately 3.1% bigger than stock.
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
The standard tires for my car are 185/60/15, which is somewhat of an oddball size.

Is it a big deal if I use 185/65/15 instead?

I used a tire size calculator and it estimated it to be approximately 3.1% bigger than stock.
For the most part, it shouldn't. But being that the new tire is taller, you might run into issues of rubbing the fender liner.

Also, if you are going to change, make sure you change all 4 tires or else it might fool the ABS as the tire speeds will vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

I would be changing out all four tires for sure.

I think the difference in height is about 9mm... and I have plenty of wheelgap on my stock Yaris.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I would say make sure you have enough clearance from the bottom of the strut perch so the tire doesn't rub against anything. It'd have to be a fairly large and incorrect upsize to start rubbing the fender lining, at stock height

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
so long as the top of the tire doesnt rub or touch ur suspension, its ok to go slightly oversized.

but most ppl keep the aspec ratio, but go a tad wider. and in this case, make sure ur wheels are offset enough so that the tire again doesnt touch ur suspension

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
You can also recalibrate your speedo so it shows the correct speed after your new tires are on
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

So I went ahead and got the slightly larger 185/65/15 tires today... and before I did, I tested my speedometer against a GPS, and I found that it was approximately 4% slow. When the speedometer said I was going 100kmph, the GPS said I was actually going 96kmph.

I thought this was because my tires were bald, so that the circumference of the wheel has been reduced... and that after I got the new larger tires on, the speedometer would actually be too fast...

But to my surprise, the speedometer is now almost PERFECTLY calibrated. It seems like it's at most 0.5% off.