REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
[Confidential] Age, age, and age

The following is an Anonymous submission from a Revscene member. If the OP would like to respond to anything said in this thread, please PM me.

I'm 24 and she's 17. What do you guys think? Go or no go?

El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Honestly, as someone who was in a relationship with a big age gap (5 years), it's really up to you whether or not you want to date her. Who really gives a shit what other people think? If she's at the same maturity level as yourself then why not? what do you really have to lose? Also, is she finished HS and in first year post secondary? If she's still in HS it might make things a bit harder, but if she's done it should be a lot smoother.

In the end, it's your choice and only your choice so who really cares what other people think or say? It's not their relationship it's yours.
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Brian Mulroney is 14 years older than his wife. They met when she was 18.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

just think of celine dion with his husband...u get the idea
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !nhan View Post
Honestly, as someone who was in a relationship with a big age gap (5 years), it's really up to you whether or not you want to date her. Who really gives a shit what other people think? If she's at the same maturity level as yourself then why not? what do you really have to lose? Also, is she finished HS and in first year post secondary? If she's still in HS it might make things a bit harder, but if she's done it should be a lot smoother.

In the end, it's your choice and only your choice so who really cares what other people think or say? It's not their relationship it's yours.
She's 17.... That means she is in grade 11 or just started grade 12. Grade 12s are typically 18 years old. That is why most first years can't even drink because they aren't 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevtuner View Post
just think of celine dion with his husband...u get the idea
I didn't know Celine Dion is a dude.

And to the OP, don't do it. If it was meant to be, wait it out a little bit and let her mature first. 17 year olds bring drama that you'll think is retardedly irrelevant to life but is the HUGEST issue to her.

I say wait till she graduates from HS. And even then, wait like a year or half a year.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Hopeless Romantic

Hm, I don't think the age difference is really a big deal so long as you guys have a mutual affection for each other. Getting into a relationship like that however, flame shields on bro, cause there are definitely going to be people who will think differently about it. This is related more-so to her peers imo than yours...

Looking at what nhan said... if she's 17 she's probably in grade 12 as of this year.. and looking back at my grade 12 year there were definitely a lot of people on different levels of maturity... and I can see something like this potentially being 'worthwhile' to talk about or poke fun at in their eyes.. but i'd also say this relates to her reputation in that aspect as well...

All in all, what have you really got to lose? If the emotions are there, I don't think simply age should hold you back.

Edit- Going off of what CRS said... I agree with him with...
Quote:
17 year olds bring drama that you'll think is retardedly irrelevant to life but is the HUGEST issue to her.
But how that rolls out would be based off of her maturity level... one of my good friends is 24, and his girlfriend is in grade 12 and turned 18 recently, the age difference doesn't bother her in the least, but I do know that there have been cases where she's been bugged by her peers because of her boyfriends age...
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
She's 17.... That means she is in grade 11 or just started grade 12. Grade 12s are typically 18 years old. That is why most first years can't even drink because they aren't 19.
Not entirely true, if she was born in the end of the year technically she'd be in first year but still 17.
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The age difference isn't the issue for me..Her being 17 makes it weird....if i was her dad, wow, i'd go ballastic..
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
The age difference isn't the issue for me..Her being 17 makes it weird....if i was her dad, wow, i'd go ballastic..

ballastic
- 2 dictionary results
bal⋅last
  /ˈbæləst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bal-uhst] Show IPA
Use ballastic in a Sentence
See web results for ballastic
See images of ballastic
–noun
1. Nautical. any heavy material carried temporarily or permanently in a vessel to provide desired draft and stability

I'm 21 and i tried with a 18 year old and its such a big difference in terms of maturity let alone the activities our crews do and topics of conversations, couldn't take how stupid they were.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
The following is a reply from the Anonymous member

Yea the fact that she's only 17 and gr 12 kinda bothers me a bit, that's why im kinda hesitant. Waiting for her to be mature enough is gonna be too long for me too if i think about it haha...
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

if u like her enough just go for it

age really is a number

not all 17 year olds are drama queens or immature
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann1984 View Post

age really is a number

hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Banned (BBM)

do it from behind
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:

age really is a number

+1

I dated girls that was 5-6 yrs younger then me before too.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I'm 30 and the girlfriend is 20. I, initially, didn't want to go for someone that was 10 years younger. It also violated the X/2+7 rule . In the end, I decided to go for it because:

1. She was a lot more mature than other girls her age, and I'm immature for my age, so there's a middle ground
2. She shared similar interests, and was at the same level of faith as myself.
3. She knew what she wanted out of life.
4. She was irresistibly cute and hot.

We've been going out for 4 months now, and we get along great. We understand each other, and disagreements, while far and few between, are handled in a civil manner. The main contributor in keeping us together is the constant, open communication. I say as long as both of you are mature enough to handle the relationship, then go for it. Age is just a
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

my bf is 22 and i'm 18~
it's not a big problem
im not a drama queen and we've been together for years
ra1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Like Presto said, there's a lot of other contributing factors. Not all 17 yr olds are as immature as you think.

My dating limit has always been max 6 years above.. When I was 14 I dated someone who was 19 for 2 years. It worked at the time in our own way, but ended cuz dude was too caught up in the age difference..but even now his family still asks about me and says I'm the best gf he ever had...and when I go over to visit they're always happy to see me lol

basic rule is if you want her bad enough then go for it. if not, then that's your call.
DGiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I'm 30 and the girlfriend is 20. I, initially, didn't want to go for someone that was 10 years younger. It also violated the X/2+7 rule . In the end, I decided to go for it because:

1. She was a lot more mature than other girls her age, and I'm immature for my age, so there's a middle ground
2. She shared similar interests, and was at the same level of faith as myself.
3. She knew what she wanted out of life.
4. She was irresistibly cute and hot.

We've been going out for 4 months now, and we get along great. We understand each other, and disagreements, while far and few between, are handled in a civil manner. The main contributor in keeping us together is the constant, open communication. I say as long as both of you are mature enough to handle the relationship, then go for it. Age is just a
very similar reasoning for me too. i'm 28 and bf is 23. he's more mature and responsible than the typical 23 year old but still lots of fun which works great for me because i don't feel 28 besides having a mortgage to look after. we both want the same things in life.

you should find out what she wants... as in an actual relationship where if things worked out you guys would be together in the long run? or just a short term thing.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

If i were you id wait till a girl is out of highschool. otherwise its just weird. IMO
Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:

age really is a number

There are some 30 year olds that still act like they just came out of high school or something...

And it isn't weird for a 24 year old dating a 17 year old. As long as she doesn't make you look like a pedophile, go for it. Remember, it is either you or someone else's sloppy seconds.
lonelydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

age doesn't really matter if they love each other
Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

unless she's a minor its never about age... if you let a thing like age get between you and somebody you like... you're not ready for it
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Coming from a high-schooler's perspective here, I don't see much wrong, really. If she was in fact one of those girls who are constantly involved in drama, I would avoid since you'd probably be dragged into it too. But if she's one of those mature girls (a bit of a rarity at my school) then I say stay, you've got no penalty in doing so, maybe a bit restricted in doing things with her (if she's one of those straight-laced girls).
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

eh. age is relative, you can date whoever you want it's about chemistry.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I used to think age mattered a lot. But I'm realizing now (since I'm very interested in someone who's quite a bit younger than me) that as long as the two of you mesh, it shouldn't matter (unless it's a legal concern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote