REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Banned (BBM)

Organic Produce, Juicing, Raw Foods Thread

Im new to the whole raw foods scene. Im not 100% commited yet but just trying to improve what goes into my body. I started juicing carrots and apples everyday and stopped my daily intake of 1-2 glasses of wine. I feel alot better after only 1 week of juicing and eating raw veggies. Is anyone on this forum juicing their vegitables?

Where can I find BC grown organic produce? im looking for a market near New Westminster.

thanks!
Advertisement
chileanwinehous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
You aren't getting nearly enough nutrition from uncooked food, especially vegetables. I hope you get over this silly fad soon, it could have long-term negative effects on your health.

Unless you're just talking about juicing, in which case, it's a good thing to add to a normal diet.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You aren't getting nearly enough nutrition from uncooked food, especially vegetables. I hope you get over this silly fad soon, it could have long-term negative effects on your health.

Unless you're just talking about juicing, in which case, it's a good thing to add to a normal diet.
How does eating only raw vegetables cause a nutrient insufficiency as opposed to eating cooked vegetables?

I use my veggie juice blender daily first thing in the morning - total nutrient absorption is higher than eating the veggie because the molecules are in liquid form and do not require further physical breakdown. As well, consumption in the morning with an empty stomach means that no nutrients are absorbed/trapped into the fiber of the veggies. These two points are what allows more nutrients to be absorbed as opposed to normal consumption.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

What's a good juicer on the market?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

Breville makes some really nice ones. Don't cheap out by getting a crappy one - it will extract less juice.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
How does eating only raw vegetables cause a nutrient insufficiency as opposed to eating cooked vegetables?

I use my veggie juice blender daily first thing in the morning - total nutrient absorption is higher than eating the veggie because the molecules are in liquid form and do not require further physical breakdown. As well, consumption in the morning with an empty stomach means that no nutrients are absorbed/trapped into the fiber of the veggies. These two points are what allows more nutrients to be absorbed as opposed to normal consumption.
Like I said, juicing is fine. But if you only eat raw vegetables, you are not getting nearly all the nutrients from them. Veggies must be cooked first. It's a whacky alternative myth to think otherwise.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
OP, just remember BC grown organic veggies are only available as long as the weather stays nice. Most veggies are only going to be around for another short time as most farmers don't plant so late in the year as usually the weather is crappy and is not good for farming.

Which part of New West are you in? Most of the larger stores should carry some of the more common organic items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Also, the idea that organic produce is better for you in any way is another myth.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Also, the idea that organic produce is better for you in any way is another myth.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Like I said, juicing is fine. But if you only eat raw vegetables, you are not getting nearly all the nutrients from them. Veggies must be cooked first. It's a whacky alternative myth to think otherwise.
Can you explain how? I don't understand the logic behind your statement. I have also asked 2 other friends who are doctors and they can't think of why. I'm actually a pharmacist and also don't understand how your statement holds up. I only express curiosity because I understand exactly how the digestive system works and the process of molecular absorption.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #11

Leads to osteoporosis (bone loss) quite quickly, and in the long run you'll have low IGF-1 levels (increased risk of cancer - a real risk, not the fake risk people talk about when they bring up "red meat"). And of course there are all the other dangers of not eating a proper diet with a good amount of fat (cholesterol issues, arterial inflammation, etc)
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Leads to osteoporosis (bone loss) quite quickly, and in the long run you'll have low IGF-1 levels (increased risk of cancer - a real risk, not the fake risk people talk about when they bring up "red meat"). And of course there are all the other dangers of not eating a proper diet with a good amount of fat (cholesterol issues, arterial inflammation, etc)
Increased bone loss by osteoclasts in the bone formation/loss cycle is caused by decreased Estrogen (menopause in females), lack of Calcium/Vitamin D (unrelated to veggies), smoking (damaged/weakened blood circulation to the spongy bone), and high alcohol consumption (high correlation to reduction in Bone Mass Density and therefore accelerated bone loss).

Other secondary sources of osteoporosis include:

Hyperthyroidism, which yields excess Parathyroid hormone causing excess Calcitriol which causes TOO much bone/Ca absorption (hypercalcemia)

and

Hypothyroidism, which is insufficient Calcitonin which inhibits osteoclasts = again also excess bone resorption.

Nothing from eating "cooked" veggies tells me any benefit in the control points of Osteoporosis. In addition, osteoporosis affects only 2 men per 100 women, due to female menopause.

Can you elaborate your point? I'm not doubting you and I always keep an open mind, but I'd like to be clear on my facts when patients and friends ask me for advice.

As well, IGF-1 is naturally produced by the body for natural growth control - highest when children are in their growing years. If anything, it is one of the main factors in an apoptosis cycle which kills cells. How could this be related to Cancer? Please elaborate.

Last edited by achiam; 10-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #13

I'm not doing your research for you, go do it yourself. If you really have an open mind, you'll find the info you seek
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm not doing your research for you, go do it yourself. If you really have an open mind, you'll find the info you seek
You're not backing up your post. I and two physician friends can't make anything of your posted info, and your statement regarding cancer is fundamentally flawed.

If you have a solid understanding of this topic it would be very easy to share your knowledge through 2 or 3 sentences. If you have simply heard this through hearsay, and don't know what you're talking about, please say so and do not mislead others on a public forum.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
[youtube]tZMERUKErGE[/youtube]
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
bump for a reply. i want to know the truf
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #18

He's posted in other threads but appears to avoid replying to this thread.

Maybe he is Hyde?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
You're not backing up your post. I and two physician friends can't make anything of your posted info, and your statement regarding cancer is fundamentally flawed.

If you have a solid understanding of this topic it would be very easy to share your knowledge through 2 or 3 sentences. If you have simply heard this through hearsay, and don't know what you're talking about, please say so and do not mislead others on a public forum.
Just because I don't feel like going around and finding all the studies (they are out there) for your lazy ass, doesn't mean I am wrong. No, I am not "backing up my post". If you don't want to believe me, you won't believe me. That is fine. Go on your raw-food diet and die of osteoporosis later, I don't care.

Or, you can take what I have shared, do some research, and live a long, healthy life.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Just because I don't feel like going around and finding all the studies (they are out there) for your lazy ass, doesn't mean I am wrong. No, I am not "backing up my post". If you don't want to believe me, you won't believe me. That is fine. Go on your raw-food diet and die of osteoporosis later, I don't care.

Or, you can take what I have shared, do some research, and live a long, healthy life.
Reply FAIL.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Reply FAIL.
Nice try
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #22

5 seconds of google brought up this study.

That's all the time I am wasting on you. Do the rest yourself. And don't waste your time on all the "alternative health" bullshit sites that are out there.

www.google.com

And now it's your turn - how about you show me some human studies that show organic produce being healthier in any way than normal produce.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
5 seconds of google brought up this study.

That's all the time I am wasting on you. Do the rest yourself. And don't waste your time on all the "alternative health" bullshit sites that are out there.

www.google.com

And now it's your turn - how about you show me some human studies that show organic produce being healthier in any way than normal produce.
Actually my only question to you was how eating only raw veggies caused osteoporosis, as in the 2nd or 3rd post of yours up top. I never mentioned organic anything. As well, that study examines only vegetarians and its sample size of 18 subjects casts serious doubt for data extrapolation onto the general population. I will read into this though.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #24

Quote:
that study examines only vegetarians and its sample size of 18 subjects casts serious doubt for data extrapolation onto the general population.
That's what 5 seconds of Google gets you
Quote:
I will read into this though.
That's all I ever wanted anyone to do.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #25

Quote:
I wonder about this too, but unfortunately my customers swear by it, so it would be bad business for me to argue with them.

But to them, eating conventional produce is as bad as feeding them poison. To them, they feel that the herbicides/pesticides that are being used can/will also cause cancer.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing