REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 833
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organic Produce, Juicing, Raw Foods Thread

Im new to the whole raw foods scene. Im not 100% commited yet but just trying to improve what goes into my body. I started juicing carrots and apples everyday and stopped my daily intake of 1-2 glasses of wine. I feel alot better after only 1 week of juicing and eating raw veggies. Is anyone on this forum juicing their vegitables?

Where can I find BC grown organic produce? im looking for a market near New Westminster.

thanks!
Advertisement
chileanwinehous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
You aren't getting nearly enough nutrition from uncooked food, especially vegetables. I hope you get over this silly fad soon, it could have long-term negative effects on your health.

Unless you're just talking about juicing, in which case, it's a good thing to add to a normal diet.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You aren't getting nearly enough nutrition from uncooked food, especially vegetables. I hope you get over this silly fad soon, it could have long-term negative effects on your health.

Unless you're just talking about juicing, in which case, it's a good thing to add to a normal diet.
How does eating only raw vegetables cause a nutrient insufficiency as opposed to eating cooked vegetables?

I use my veggie juice blender daily first thing in the morning - total nutrient absorption is higher than eating the veggie because the molecules are in liquid form and do not require further physical breakdown. As well, consumption in the morning with an empty stomach means that no nutrients are absorbed/trapped into the fiber of the veggies. These two points are what allows more nutrients to be absorbed as opposed to normal consumption.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
What's a good juicer on the market?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Breville makes some really nice ones. Don't cheap out by getting a crappy one - it will extract less juice.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
How does eating only raw vegetables cause a nutrient insufficiency as opposed to eating cooked vegetables?

I use my veggie juice blender daily first thing in the morning - total nutrient absorption is higher than eating the veggie because the molecules are in liquid form and do not require further physical breakdown. As well, consumption in the morning with an empty stomach means that no nutrients are absorbed/trapped into the fiber of the veggies. These two points are what allows more nutrients to be absorbed as opposed to normal consumption.
Like I said, juicing is fine. But if you only eat raw vegetables, you are not getting nearly all the nutrients from them. Veggies must be cooked first. It's a whacky alternative myth to think otherwise.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,486
Thanked 1,879 Times in 994 Posts
OP, just remember BC grown organic veggies are only available as long as the weather stays nice. Most veggies are only going to be around for another short time as most farmers don't plant so late in the year as usually the weather is crappy and is not good for farming.

Which part of New West are you in? Most of the larger stores should carry some of the more common organic items.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Also, the idea that organic produce is better for you in any way is another myth.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
RS Operative (G)
 
hal0g0dv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GYM
Posts: 12,810
Thanked 4,498 Times in 1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Also, the idea that organic produce is better for you in any way is another myth.
__________________
╔╦╦╦═╦╗╔═╦═╦══╦═╗
║║║║╩╣╚╣═╣║║║║║╩╣
╚══╩═╩═╩═╩═╩╩╩╩═╝

It's not the steroids that makes the champion but it's hard training .. dedication, the diet and sacrifice and genetics that person has.. what makes the champion.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Like I said, juicing is fine. But if you only eat raw vegetables, you are not getting nearly all the nutrients from them. Veggies must be cooked first. It's a whacky alternative myth to think otherwise.
Can you explain how? I don't understand the logic behind your statement. I have also asked 2 other friends who are doctors and they can't think of why. I'm actually a pharmacist and also don't understand how your statement holds up. I only express curiosity because I understand exactly how the digestive system works and the process of molecular absorption.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Leads to osteoporosis (bone loss) quite quickly, and in the long run you'll have low IGF-1 levels (increased risk of cancer - a real risk, not the fake risk people talk about when they bring up "red meat"). And of course there are all the other dangers of not eating a proper diet with a good amount of fat (cholesterol issues, arterial inflammation, etc)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Leads to osteoporosis (bone loss) quite quickly, and in the long run you'll have low IGF-1 levels (increased risk of cancer - a real risk, not the fake risk people talk about when they bring up "red meat"). And of course there are all the other dangers of not eating a proper diet with a good amount of fat (cholesterol issues, arterial inflammation, etc)
Increased bone loss by osteoclasts in the bone formation/loss cycle is caused by decreased Estrogen (menopause in females), lack of Calcium/Vitamin D (unrelated to veggies), smoking (damaged/weakened blood circulation to the spongy bone), and high alcohol consumption (high correlation to reduction in Bone Mass Density and therefore accelerated bone loss).

Other secondary sources of osteoporosis include:

Hyperthyroidism, which yields excess Parathyroid hormone causing excess Calcitriol which causes TOO much bone/Ca absorption (hypercalcemia)

and

Hypothyroidism, which is insufficient Calcitonin which inhibits osteoclasts = again also excess bone resorption.

Nothing from eating "cooked" veggies tells me any benefit in the control points of Osteoporosis. In addition, osteoporosis affects only 2 men per 100 women, due to female menopause.

Can you elaborate your point? I'm not doubting you and I always keep an open mind, but I'd like to be clear on my facts when patients and friends ask me for advice.

As well, IGF-1 is naturally produced by the body for natural growth control - highest when children are in their growing years. If anything, it is one of the main factors in an apoptosis cycle which kills cells. How could this be related to Cancer? Please elaborate.

Last edited by achiam; 10-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
I'm not doing your research for you, go do it yourself. If you really have an open mind, you'll find the info you seek
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm not doing your research for you, go do it yourself. If you really have an open mind, you'll find the info you seek
You're not backing up your post. I and two physician friends can't make anything of your posted info, and your statement regarding cancer is fundamentally flawed.

If you have a solid understanding of this topic it would be very easy to share your knowledge through 2 or 3 sentences. If you have simply heard this through hearsay, and don't know what you're talking about, please say so and do not mislead others on a public forum.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,824
Thanked 1,098 Times in 311 Posts
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,824
Thanked 1,098 Times in 311 Posts
[youtube]tZMERUKErGE[/youtube]
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try
 
trollguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ☺
Posts: 4,993
Thanked 2,085 Times in 622 Posts
bump for a reply. i want to know the truf
trollguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,486
Thanked 1,879 Times in 994 Posts
He's posted in other threads but appears to avoid replying to this thread.

Maybe he is Hyde?
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
You're not backing up your post. I and two physician friends can't make anything of your posted info, and your statement regarding cancer is fundamentally flawed.

If you have a solid understanding of this topic it would be very easy to share your knowledge through 2 or 3 sentences. If you have simply heard this through hearsay, and don't know what you're talking about, please say so and do not mislead others on a public forum.
Just because I don't feel like going around and finding all the studies (they are out there) for your lazy ass, doesn't mean I am wrong. No, I am not "backing up my post". If you don't want to believe me, you won't believe me. That is fine. Go on your raw-food diet and die of osteoporosis later, I don't care.

Or, you can take what I have shared, do some research, and live a long, healthy life.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Just because I don't feel like going around and finding all the studies (they are out there) for your lazy ass, doesn't mean I am wrong. No, I am not "backing up my post". If you don't want to believe me, you won't believe me. That is fine. Go on your raw-food diet and die of osteoporosis later, I don't care.

Or, you can take what I have shared, do some research, and live a long, healthy life.
Reply FAIL.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Reply FAIL.
Nice try
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
5 seconds of google brought up this study.

That's all the time I am wasting on you. Do the rest yourself. And don't waste your time on all the "alternative health" bullshit sites that are out there.

www.google.com

And now it's your turn - how about you show me some human studies that show organic produce being healthier in any way than normal produce.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
5 seconds of google brought up this study.

That's all the time I am wasting on you. Do the rest yourself. And don't waste your time on all the "alternative health" bullshit sites that are out there.

www.google.com

And now it's your turn - how about you show me some human studies that show organic produce being healthier in any way than normal produce.
Actually my only question to you was how eating only raw veggies caused osteoporosis, as in the 2nd or 3rd post of yours up top. I never mentioned organic anything. As well, that study examines only vegetarians and its sample size of 18 subjects casts serious doubt for data extrapolation onto the general population. I will read into this though.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
that study examines only vegetarians and its sample size of 18 subjects casts serious doubt for data extrapolation onto the general population.
That's what 5 seconds of Google gets you
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I will read into this though.
That's all I ever wanted anyone to do.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #25
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,486
Thanked 1,879 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
And now it's your turn - how about you show me some human studies that show organic produce being healthier in any way than normal produce.
I wonder about this too, but unfortunately my customers swear by it, so it would be bad business for me to argue with them.

But to them, eating conventional produce is as bad as feeding them poison. To them, they feel that the herbicides/pesticides that are being used can/will also cause cancer.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net