REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

////
Advertisement

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-02-2017 at 11:11 PM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Bump this back up from the dead!

How does everything work now?
Is the GST still paid in Alberta when the title is transfered over?
Is the PST still paid when registering the vehicle in BC?

and to expand on this topic......
Generally, how bad is the condition of a car from Alberta (specifically Edmonton) compared to a car from Metro Vancouver? I'm thinking of the possibility of a rust bucket since they get REAL winters whereas we get rain
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
I grew up in Edmonton. Its nothing like out east because they put much less salt on the roads, but there is still salt. Rust is more of an issue than here. The fact is, nice cars are WAY easier to find in Vancouver than anywhere else in Canada. Unless its something really rare, you will find a better one out here. The market is flooded in the gvrd and that drives prices lower as well.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #29

The seller sent me a couple pics of the shocks/springs and this pic is the worst of the batch.

Seller says that he sees rust on the top of the springs too.

the car is a 2007 with approx 98,000kms

thoughts?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Hard to tell with the car being so dirty. If it's just surface rust on the spring cups, you can clean it up and put on a few coats of paint. The question is: is there other rust that is "in" the metal (fenders, doors...)?
Indyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #31

I got some more pics. What are your thoughts? ? ??

This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #32

Coming from someone who daily drove a 16 year old car in edmonton until it was 20 years old, I had no rust problems. If it looks fine, its probably fine. Winter driving isn't a death sentence for cars. Still though, as I said before, for me to deal with buying a car from edmonton, I better be saving a good chunk of cash to deal with
a)picking it up
b)O.O.P.
c)suspension component wear from the worst roads in canada other than regina
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #33
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
wow that sucks, so if u buy a USED car from alberta, u'll end up paying both taxes? not just 1 like if you purchased a used car from bc?
you pay one tax here, but its 12% pst now for used cars.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Coming from someone who daily drove a 16 year old car in edmonton until it was 20 years old, I had no rust problems. If it looks fine, its probably fine. Winter driving isn't a death sentence for cars. Still though, as I said before, for me to deal with buying a car from edmonton, I better be saving a good chunk of cash to deal with
a)picking it up
b)O.O.P.
c)suspension component wear from the worst roads in canada other than regina
Your opinion matters a lot to me in this situation as you have first hand experience. After seeing those pics, I went to compare with my own cars.
05 Benz with 120,000kms. WAYYY less rust than the pics above. it has little to none.
02 Honda with 89,000kms. Might be on par with the pics above or maybe the Honda is a little better. There is rusty exhaust hanger, bolt for the sway bar bushing is rusted, pretty much everything just behind the caliper is rusted (where the struts attached, where the endlinks attach, where the tie rod attaches)
what do i do? I'd say the deal is decent, and there is currently non of the same car in Vancouver's market. and when i say same, I'm talking year, model and colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
you pay one tax here, but its 12% pst now for used cars.
I forgot about that! thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #35

The parts that are going to stand out as being a bitch are the bolts that are exposed to the elements. Doing suspension/under car work can be a nightmare because although the rust isn't damaging anything, bolts and nuts can be locked fucking tight with surface rust. If you have been dying for this exact car, go for it if it looks fine. I don't know what car it is so I can't say if its worth it. It depends on the rarity of the car if I can give you a good answer of wether its worth it, but if you have been looking a long time for the perfect car, and this is it, jump on it.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #36
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
On the whole driving in Alberta thing, It is REALLY hard on cars. Sister who now lives in Calgary took a 2006 Suburban when she moved there in '09, The truck had 40,000KM was in MINT condition, no rust etc etc, when she sold it about a year ago it looked like it was 10 years older than it was. All that salt and crap they put on the roads is undoubtedly TERRIBLE for cars. She now has a 2011 (might be a 2012 i forget) F150 which is 1 or 2 years old and the bottom has more rust than a buddys 1994 F150 with 350,000KMS on it that spent its whole life here.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote