REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
Banned (BBM)

no idea wtf they are doing to hwy 1

all i know is at night its all fucked up
Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc˛ View Post
I'm surprised there aren't any accidents at that boundary rd on ramp. They made it SO short, and they don't exactly warn you that it's gonna be short.

I mean yeah they put up like 4 yield signs on the way up but cmon, yield signs on highways usually mean speed up and merge, not slow and stop if there's no room to merge.
MANY on-ramps have a 'yield' sign instead of a "merge" sign and so people treat them the same. How are people supposed to know for the shortened Boundary Rd on-ramp, you should slow and stop?
I've seen people just speed up and merge not realizing that the on-ramp was that short. No accidents but still fucking dangerous and many close calls, or "close merges" where the car squeezed in-between a narrow gap.

The City is fucking stupid. Should just put a stop sign at that on-ramp.

blind corner, then little distance to accelerate....

Yup, totally agree... I take this path two times a week, scares the hell out of me everytime. So hard to see incoming traffic cause it's merging right on a bend, you're on a ramp going up the highway (making you not on the same level as he rest of the traffic), then you have a puny merge in. I just take a look, if it's clear, I gun it hard... like 1st gear redline.... It's the only way to ensure I'm matching speed as fast as possible... better safe than sorry.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #28
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i just tried that merge lane ^ this early morning in the dark and rain.... i have to go and change my shorts now excuse me
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
Banned (BBM)

lol wat happened
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
I'm surprised there aren't any accidents at that boundary rd on ramp. They made it SO short, and they don't exactly warn you that it's gonna be short.

I mean yeah they put up like 4 yield signs on the way up but cmon, yield signs on highways usually mean speed up and merge, not slow and stop if there's no room to merge.
MANY on-ramps have a 'yield' sign instead of a "merge" sign and so people treat them the same. How are people supposed to know for the shortened Boundary Rd on-ramp, you should slow and stop?
I've seen people just speed up and merge not realizing that the on-ramp was that short. No accidents but still fucking dangerous and many close calls, or "close merges" where the car squeezed in-between a narrow gap.

The City is fucking stupid. Should just put a stop sign at that on-ramp.

blind corner, then little distance to accelerate....
i take this route almost twice a week and i fucking hate it how i have no choice but to use that on ramp to get to my destination
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
lol wat happened

there was me and this other car in front of me trying to merge onto the bridge deck but the merge lane was waay too short to accelerate to highway speeds. basically you come up the hill, then there is the bend to the right... and somehow you have to shoulder check and floor it at the same time without hitting anything or come to dead stop. some asshat in the right lane wouldn't let me merge and cut off the car in front of me forcing that driver to come to almost a complete stop and i ran out of road, and then semi-trailer behind me locked up the brakes in the rain trying not to rear end me
Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

use the 1st avenue on-ramp. it's not that far away.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #33
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_devil View Post
the portman bridge will be 5 lanes each direction...

What's the purpose of putting a median splitting the 5 lanes into 3 & 2?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
What's the purpose of putting a median splitting the 5 lanes into 3 & 2?
Like I-5 near seattle. Add more lanes and either directions at different times of the day.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
use the 1st avenue on-ramp. it's not that far away.
Plus if the line up is too large to turn left on 1St then just pass the light an pull a U-turn at on of the intersections with islands...
Its better at 1st ave aswell since you get your own lane all the way to hastings.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #36
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^
Yup.
That Northbound Onramp from Boundary is stupid. It's always packed in that section. I don't know why people bother getting on from there.
1st ave onramp is like what? 4 blocks away? Huge merging lane, and its never packed.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
It's good that they're expanding the Highways/Freeways. They should have done it a couple years ago. You guys can all flame me but I think there should be a toll for #1 Highway.
They're tolling the bridge which is part of the highway so you'll get your wish.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #38
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
there was me and this other car in front of me trying to merge onto the bridge deck but the merge lane was waay too short to accelerate to highway speeds. basically you come up the hill, then there is the bend to the right... and somehow you have to shoulder check and floor it at the same time without hitting anything or come to dead stop. some asshat in the right lane wouldn't let me merge and cut off the car in front of me forcing that driver to come to almost a complete stop and i ran out of road, and then semi-trailer behind me locked up the brakes in the rain trying not to rear end me
shit thats dangerous!
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
^
Yup.
That Northbound Onramp from Boundary is stupid. It's always packed in that section. I don't know why people bother getting on from there.
1st ave onramp is like what? 4 blocks away? Huge merging lane, and its never packed.
for me, in rush hour traffic it can add over 10 minutes to my commute (or even more than that if there happens to be a train crossing boundary at the time) to cover that 4 blocks, and then i have to play chicken trying to make a left turn onto 1st from boundary.

but then after my incident, i'm going to have no choice but to use 1st ave...
Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #40
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
^
Yup.
You lose 5-10 mins in traffic doing this. Turning left onto 1st takes forever.

You want to skip the boundary on-ramp? Want to have some fun? Take the next right. MYRTLE street: turn right from Boundary, swing through the twisty, straight down Still Creek, right at Gilmour, slight right at Gilmour again, right onto Hwy onramp from Willingdon. Live it, love it. This is what fancy suspension and wheels are for. A good run through this street is the best feeling. If only it had more twists. I still take Boundary as much as possible as getting on the highway quicker saves time.

Also, at both Boundary and Dollarton (east) on ramps, just leave lots of space for acceleration and use the entire on-ramp length... don't follow the crowd. Just make sure you get past the bus merging point on Dollarton, then dead stop while all ahead of you slowly merge, then eye a spot and punch it.

Oh, and if Dollarton east scares you, head Dollarton west, stay in the lane (it's an on and off ramp) and turn right onto Fern cross over and keep right onto the on ramp east. Some cloverleaf action to take the stress off. Sometimes it is faster but generally not. Can be fun at speed, but nothing like Myrtle.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #41
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
damn that's fuckin dangerous...

what I do whenever I need to use that on-ramp, and I've been doing this ever since they first made the changes, is go up the ramp at about 40ish km/h and if there's a lot of traffic just slow and stop. It's much safer that way.

Seriously guys don't bother trying to merge, just slow and stop. Now obviously if traffic is heavy enough that the overall speed is below 60 then you probably wouldn't have a problem merging. The scariest is when traffic isn't too heavy, because then speeds are high and you can't always spot right away that there's traffic coming. I've seen plenty of people stop at the end, and I can totally see why one would. This is probably the only exception where stopping at the end is the smart thing to do.

or just avoid it altogether
life's too short to stress yourself over this. I agree that taking 1st ave would be better.
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #42
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Glad they're doing the upgrades - FINALLY!!!

The covered up lines suck, especially in the rain, where if you don't know the roads, they can fuck you up.

Try driving a 5ton or semi on the Boundary/Hwy 1 onramp - it can be such a bitch when the cocksucker in front of you can't merge properly and you have to stop and try to merge going 3km/h.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Try driving a 5ton or semi on the Boundary/Hwy 1 onramp - it can be such a bitch when the cocksucker in front of you can't merge properly and you have to stop and try to merge going 3km/h.
LOL...i have seen this happen SO many times. I have seen a 5ton actually stop...it creates a huge backup soon after.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #44
I don't get it

Quote:

yeah the dude's a cocksucker for playing it safe and not rushing into high speed traffic around a blind corner and little to no acceleration lane.

Last edited by E=mc˛; 10-02-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #45
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
yeah the dude's a cocksucker for playing it safe and not rushing into high speed traffic around a blind corner and little to no acceleration lane.
that cocksucker needs to make the decision before he comes to a stop. I hate people who don't have a fucken clue.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #46
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
that cocksucker needs to make the decision before he comes to a stop. I hate people who don't have a fucken clue.
I'm merely going by the dude's post.

1st of all, 5 ton truck needs more room to merge than the average car. Chances are he'd need to stop anyway (given that the car in front couldn't merge because of the amount of traffic plus oh not to mention the SHORT ASS ramp).

2nd of all, realizing it's too dangerous to merge and then stopping is MUCH better than forcing your way into traffic. If you call gunning it and hoping for the best, causing near misses, cutting off freeway traffic or forcing them to slow down for you, is "merging properly" then go back to driving school.

3rd of all, I have no reason to believe it was a situation where there was little to no traffic, which would invalidate my above points. 90% of the time that's not the case.

You hate people who don't have a clue? I hate people who don't give other drivers the benefit of the doubt. These people seem to think they always know what's best for other drivers, particularly when they are NOT in that driver's seat.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #47
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
I'm merely going by the dude's post.

1st of all, 5 ton truck needs more room to merge than the average car. Chances are he'd need to stop anyway (given that the car in front couldn't merge because of the amount of traffic plus oh not to mention the SHORT ASS ramp).

2nd of all, realizing it's too dangerous to merge and then stopping is MUCH better than forcing your way into traffic. If you call gunning it and hoping for the best, causing near misses, cutting off freeway traffic or forcing them to slow down for you, is "merging properly" then go back to driving school.

3rd of all, I have no reason to believe it was a situation where there was little to no traffic, which would invalidate my above points. 90% of the time that's not the case.

You hate people who don't have a clue? I hate people who don't give other drivers the benefit of the doubt. These people seem to think they always know what's best for other drivers, particularly when they are NOT in that driver's seat.
First of all, between 8am and 5pm, traffic on Hwy 1, West of the Granview on-ramp, before the tunnel is NOT high speed. There are days when I drive through there more than 10 times with a loaded 53' trailer or a 5T bin truck.

Yes, heavy duty tractors, trucks and flatdecks need more room to merge BUT any idiot looking to the right before the on-ramp can see what's coming up the ramp.

Stopping to merge fucks up the the flow of traffic on both the on-ramp and the highway.

Give other drivers the benefit of the doubt? Are you fucking kidding me?
99% of complaints of shitty drivers are due to the fact that people don't pay attention to their surroundings, don't know the braking/accelearting capabilities of their vehicles or are simply too stupid to assess the situation and act accordingly.

If I gave other driver's the benefit of the doubt, I would be dead several times over and in enough accidents to last a lifetime. You want people to ASSUME other people on the road know what they're doing? THAT'S A JOKE, RIGHT?

Because I value my life, my family, my vehicle and cargo and those of the driver's around me, I HAVE TO doubt the skill level of other drivers.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #48
I don't get it

Quote:
First of all, between 8am and 5pm, traffic on Hwy 1, West of the Granview on-ramp, before the tunnel is NOT high speed.

Yes, heavy duty tractors, trucks and flatdecks need more room to merge BUT any idiot looking to the right before the on-ramp can see what's coming up the ramp.
Dude I always make room for traffic trying to merge, but if you're talking between 8am and 5pm, often times one CANT change lanes because the left lane is also filled!
And high speed or not, let's say you're going 50 up the ramp, it's still a SHORT ASS ramp. Simple as that. Traffic on the highway going 60 can't possibly make room for 3-4 cars trying to merge at once on that tiny ramp. Either the slow lane has to stop completely, or the on-ramp traffic has to stop. I'd say the on-ramp should stop instead for this particular ramp. IRL, however, the slow lane stops too. Can't be helped.

Quote:
Stopping to merge fucks up the the flow of traffic on both the on-ramp and the highway.
again you realize how short that on-ramp is? SHORT. How the fuck can you possibly blame someone for stopping on that tiny ramp? honestly man.
You did state at the end "Because I value my life, my family, my vehicle and cargo and those of the driver's around me". Well that's what the driver who decides to stop instead of doing a panic merge (again, on that TINY ramp) is thinking. Merging seamlessly on such a short ramp without slowing signifcantly requires little to no room for error. that's why the city is dumb for shortening the ramp. You can't expect no room for error when it comes to driving. You always cater to the lowest common denominator. ALWAYS.

Quote:
Give other drivers the benefit of the doubt? Are you fucking kidding me?
99% of complaints of shitty drivers are due to the fact that people don't pay attention to their surroundings, don't know the braking/accelearting capabilities of their vehicles or are simply too stupid to assess the situation and act accordingly.

If I gave other driver's the benefit of the doubt, I would be dead several times over and in enough accidents to last a lifetime. You want people to ASSUME other people on the road know what they're doing? THAT'S A JOKE, RIGHT?
Well cmon now, my statement also requires common sense. You obviously can't apply it to every situation. I think for this particular SHORT on-ramp, it applies.

One example of what I mean is regarding making left turns. I've seen fucking IDIOTS honk like crazy at the driver in front because they aren't turning. Well there was an oncoming left turner who had a lineup of cars behind him as well, thereby blocking the dude's view. These idiots who honk don't realize they have a better view because they are farther back!
That's why I say give others the benefit of the doubt.

It's impatient pricks like these people who piss me off the most.

Quote:
Because I value my life, my family, my vehicle and cargo and those of the driver's around me, I HAVE TO doubt the skill level of other drivers.
true but it doesn't apply to this situation

Last edited by E=mc˛; 10-02-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #49
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasHooch View Post
You lose 5-10 mins in traffic doing this. Turning left onto 1st takes forever.

You want to skip the boundary on-ramp? Want to have some fun? Take the next right. MYRTLE street: turn right from Boundary, swing through the twisty, straight down Still Creek, right at Gilmour, slight right at Gilmour again, right onto Hwy onramp from Willingdon. Live it, love it. This is what fancy suspension and wheels are for. A good run through this street is the best feeling. If only it had more twists. I still take Boundary as much as possible as getting on the highway quicker saves time.

Also, at both Boundary and Dollarton (east) on ramps, just leave lots of space for acceleration and use the entire on-ramp length... don't follow the crowd. Just make sure you get past the bus merging point on Dollarton, then dead stop while all ahead of you slowly merge, then eye a spot and punch it.

Oh, and if Dollarton east scares you, head Dollarton west, stay in the lane (it's an on and off ramp) and turn right onto Fern cross over and keep right onto the on ramp east. Some cloverleaf action to take the stress off. Sometimes it is faster but generally not. Can be fun at speed, but nothing like Myrtle.
Yeah. Way to go hella eastbound before you even get to West/Northbound HWY1.

And would you rather lose 5 minutes, or have someone fuck your car up?
I would rather lose the 5 minutes if it means less chances of an accident.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #50
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I heard that since its hwy #1 they are not allowed to put a toll on thge bridge/hwy. Can anyone
Confirm this?
if that was the case, they can't toll the new bridge, which they will.

AFAIK they are allowed to "toll" to cover the costs of the operation. But since it is the Trans Canada, once it's paid for they can no longer toll.

No people may bring up the Coquihalla but that was not officially the #1 so they could do whatever they wanted.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote