REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Hastings "bus only" lane (https://www.revscene.net/forums/591314-hastings-bus-only-lane.html)

SumAznGuy 10-02-2009 06:31 AM

Hastings "bus only" lane

WTF were the city council people thinking?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouve...93/story.html#

Looks like the bus and bicycle only lanes have been implemented and so now between Main st. to Renfrew st. from 3 pm to 6 pm, the far right lane going eastbound is no longer for cars. Basically, in the busiest time of day for the eastbound traffic, you go from 3 lanes to 2.

This adds more fuel to the fire about why I hate Vancouver, the no fun city. :mad:

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-02-2009 07:20 AM

same kinda bullshit they are thinking putting barnet hwy in the morning and after 3:30 into one lane, and the 2nd lane as HOV

so a dumbass in the front hogging up the lane? you cant pass!!! sweet

:thumbsup:

VR6GTI 10-02-2009 07:52 AM

makes perfect sense the bus's are horrible here they stop every block and then have to sit in traffic it takes forever to get anywhere on a bus thats why nobody wants to ride 1.

BTW i havent riden a bus in about 15 years.

q0192837465 10-02-2009 08:00 AM

It actually makes sense. But one criteria for it to work is that there are many busses travelling in the same directon at once. I doubt the volume of bus we have now can justify this.

SumAznGuy 10-02-2009 08:21 AM

The logic is there, in that by taking a lane away, they are hoping more people will ride the bus. If more people will ride the bus, then they can justify adding more buses to the fleet in which there will be more buses on the road and use up the bus lane to capacity.

The only flaw in that is the people here are not that easy to change. Cost of owning and operating a car is not as expensive here as it is in other cities. And people use the lack of bus service as an excuse not to use the transit system.

But my biggest issue with this bus only lane is that it is a "BUS ONLY" lane. Not an HOV lane, but a lane for buses only. From Renfrew on, it is a 2 people minimum HOV lane.

Graeme S 10-02-2009 10:49 AM

You know what my biggest issue is with all the shit? What the fuck is with the timing?

Why do they have this HOV bullshit from when school ends until when work closes? What about the rest of us who finish at 6 o'-fucking-clock and end up massively screwed no matter what happens.

skyxx 10-02-2009 03:25 PM

I'm gonna be an ass and send a letter to the city about charging bike riders a yearly license fee. Yeah you heard me, 15 bucks a year. I don't care what you all say but I'm getting pissed off at these bike lanes and all that on the roads. We're paying for these Bike lanes which most of us don't use. Atleast make them right beside the Sidewalk and not on the road. It's the worse in Richmond along No.3 road. I know I don't live in the Richmond jurisdiction but it still applies.

jlenko 10-02-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6618437)
so a dumbass in the front hogging up the lane? you cant pass!!!

Like that will stop anyone from passing them illegally.. ;)

I have issues with cyclists who insist on riding on the road, along Broadway or some other major route... when there's a dedicated bike road a block up or down (or both) that is safer for them... yet they tootle along the fast road, half in the lane, weaving all over the place... WITH NO FUCKING HELMET!!!

Shun Izaki 10-03-2009 05:38 AM

remember when they had a bus lane on 3 road?

68style 10-03-2009 07:52 AM

There's 2 fundamental flaws with all these plans the city has for forcing everyone into transit:

1) People only give up their cars and solely take transit in cities where it is not required to own a car to go anywhere, since the lower mainland is so spread out and transit does not go that many places, most people need to pay for and insure a vehicle no matter what so also paying for a bus pass doesn't make as much sense unless you commute daily to downtown and pay parking becomes a factor in the equation.

2) Why dedicate entire lanes that could be dispersing traffic to a single vehicle (the bus) that only comes by every 10-15 minutes. That's very inefficient and poor use of space.

PS: I agree with the above poster, it's time the cyclists bucked up some cash for the nice roads and lanes since they "share the road" with cars.

silk 10-03-2009 09:49 AM

hey ..off topic.. but ...

I get pissed off when majority of people are blaming on cars but not bus or cyclist on the street. Majority thinks "car" is at fault everytime when there is an accident

i was driving at 25km/hr into the side street and i see the kids are playing on the side of the road, the parent came out and tell me " slow down, you asshole, there are kids playing here"
OK.... if im speeding, fine, but i was driving at 25km/hr... perhaps the mom thinks im a street racer because of my rims and shit... but the way she bitch at me is uncalled for.
I told her " streets are for cars, if your kids want to play, go to a playground or something, plus i was driving below speed limit, so why dont you shut the fuck up"

and she said she gonna call the police on me and walks away from me.. LOL

i was pissed off so the racial thing came out .." thats only thing your white people knows to do, call a cop"

MR_BIGGS 10-03-2009 10:03 AM

Great story bro.

Qmx323 10-03-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silk (Post 6619741)

I get pissed off when majority of people are blaming on cars but not bus or cyclist on the street. Majority thinks "car" is at fault everytime when there is an accident

i was driving at 25km/hr into the side street and i see the kids are playing on the side of the road, the parent came out and tell me " slow down, you asshole, there are kids playing here"
OK.... if im speeding, fine, but i was driving at 25km/hr... perhaps the mom thinks im a street racer because of my rims and shit... but the way she bitch at me is uncalled for.
I told her " streets are for cars, if your kids want to play, go to a playground or something, plus i was driving below speed limit, so why dont you shut the fuck up"

i was pissed off so the racial thing came out .." thats only thing your white people knows to do, call a cop"

BAHAHAHAHAHA, nice.

Theres an elementary school near my house, and sometimes kids from apartment complex like to play near the back, where the field connects to the neighbourhood road, and it happens all the time. Except the kids are black

Shun Izaki 10-03-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 6619764)
Great story bro.

Riveting tale, chap.

silk 10-03-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 6619764)
Great story bro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jun Kitami (Post 6619859)
Riveting tale, chap.

you guys love it right ? :thumbsup:
im a great story teller

SumAznGuy 10-07-2009 11:08 AM

Got to leave work at a decent time yesterday (5ish instead of 7ish) and drove home with the wife in the car. First thing we noticed was that the "bus only" lane still had cars in it, and the cars were single occupants. Traffic was definately busier since we couldn't drive in the curb lane.
Not sure when, but they changed the signs from Renfrew all the way to Boundry rd, so that stretch that use to be 2 person HOV is now a bus/bike only lane too. Funny part is, around where the baseball feild is, the 2 person HOV sign is still on the light pole, though the other signs all say bus/bike only lane. Right by the bus loop, traffic was at a complete stand still since there was a bus trying to turn left into the depot while the curb lane only had a few cars. So at that spot, you basically are going from 3 lanes, to just one lane. Glad to see we hire/voted for a bunch of geniuses to be our city council.

It wasn't until after Boundry rd when the 2 person car HOV opens up does traffic flow better. Still, to go from Costco to SFU, it took almost an hour when it only takes me 20 minutes in the morning using the HOV lane. =(

Talk about wasted tax payers dollars.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...-57ed09665a94#

4444 10-07-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

that's the LAMEST racist thing you could have said - come on, come up with something better than that if you're going to be racist...

i'm white, and i've called the cops twice in my life - once when we had an intruder in the house (we had him caught before the cops got there - three 6'+ white men will do that to a scrawny druggie), and a 2nd time when some drunk hicks drove their truck into my neighbour's garden (they damaged a LOT of plants/trees as they went though it, it wasn't like they drove over grass) crashed it into the light pole on the corner of his lot, and then ran off - both justified, i'd say

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-07-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

CAll the cops when u see 2pacccccc, who shot u

should gave her the bird and gun it, show her whats speeding and whats not.

i would've peel out in front of her and show her wats up

the moral of the story?

FUCK THE CYCLISTS.

period

SumAznGuy 10-21-2009 06:19 AM

So the City of Vancouver workers finally put up the bus only signs on the West bound side of Hastings. So from Boundry rd to Renfrew, where it was once a 2 people HOV lane from 6:30 am to 9:30 am, it is now a bus and bike only lane from 7 am to 9:30 am.

I guess this doesn't affect me as much since I work at 7, and perhaps it might make my trip faster as I can get into that curb lane sooner, legally.

But I can't imagine how bad traffic will bottle neck as people will try to get into the right turn lane onto the bridge. People will try to merge in later to avoid tickets for being in the bus lane.

Pure geniuses we have in city council. :mad:

zulutango 11-25-2009 07:14 AM

"i was pissed off so the racial thing came out .." thats only thing your white people knows to do, call a cop"

So would you rather than she took matters into her own hands and maybe threw rocks at your windshield...or maybe dropped nails in front of you or maybe set up a speed bump that will rip a slammed undercarriage off your ride? Trying to see how the race card got played for considering a perfectly logical response to a situation that should be dealt with by the Cops?

q0192837465 11-25-2009 12:55 PM

wow, thread revival

slammer111 11-25-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6699554)
"i was pissed off so the racial thing came out .." thats only thing your white people knows to do, call a cop"

So would you rather than she took matters into her own hands and maybe threw rocks at your windshield...or maybe dropped nails in front of you or maybe set up a speed bump that will rip a slammed undercarriage off your ride? Trying to see how the race card got played for considering a perfectly logical response to a situation that should be dealt with by the Cops?

The driver was just pissed because the (white) mom probably thought her kids were entitled to play in the middle of the road. And she called the driver an a$$hole as he drove by.

With that said, if kids are blocking up roads in a neighbourhood and creating a nuisance with their street hockey or whatever, is there any recourse that a driver CAN take with a cop?

!Aznboi128 11-25-2009 05:11 PM

hahah think no3 road thru out vancouver

monkeywrench 11-25-2009 07:04 PM

next they will tell us "hi guize lets take out a lane on no3 road and make it 1 lane only"

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-25-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 6699940)
wow, thread revival

thx to zulu

:rolleyes: