REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Resident Bullshitter

Euro Trip

I'm planning an euro trip this spring.... any suggest on route?

I'll be mainly driving... Top Gear style

i was originally planning to go from london, to france, to italy, back to swiss, germany then netherlands and back to UK

what are something thats must see and it would be great if there is a food guide and hotel guide

best if someone have experience with the euro road trip, please recommend the best route to take for this whole trip. I'm also looking to try a few michelin star restaurants....
Advertisement
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Eating:
El Bulli, Spain
Fat Duck, Bray, UK

Driving: call AVIS rent a car in Germany, they will have English operators based in England. You can rent anything from compact to 997 and Maserati, and the insurance is good for all EU countries.
The two nicest drives I've seen are going from Toulon to Monaco, and another on a cliffside highway going from San Sebastian to Andorra.
Also make sure you drive the Nurburgring, its about 15 EU per time around.

For better advice, do join the forum flyertalk.com or teamspeed.com; people on those sites are much better traveled than here.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
FlyerTalk.com is an awesome forum with tonnes and tonnes of seasoned travelers. There are local forums within so you can ask about the different countries you are planning to visit.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who can recommend upon their own experiences here but it looks like you're in for an adventure. If you're looking for a general idea of where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. Start off by visiting WikiTravel.org. It gives you a very good overview of what you need to know but if you want to take it a step further, Lonely Planet guides are also another way of getting more detailed information.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Resident Bullshitter

thanks a lot

But I'm thinking if i'm doing a road trip, 90% of my time would be wasted on driving...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

women: sofia bulgaria, stockholm sweden. Holy to the shit!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,187 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Eating:
El Bulli, Spain
Good luck getting a table there!

However, elBulli does have sister restaurant that does food from elBulli's previous season/year that is not as expensive nor difficult to get a reservation.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
I am grateful grapefruit

i did a bit of driving around europe last winter. did a short trip from brussels - amsterdam - berlin - munich - brugges - back to brussels. it was fun, but i was stuck at an accident between berlin and munich, and hit heavy traffic around on my way to brussels. sometimes, just driving for like 8 - 10 hours (it took 12 hours to go from munich to fussen to brussels) is really tiring, and that's me tryin to going 180 in my little golf polo i rented in belgium whenever possible.

you'll have plenty of LONG drives ahead of you - granted, driving in the spring will be better, but there will always be other traffic on the road.

and i wish i had cruise control. and rent a car on the mainland. driving a RHD car in a LHD country is cool in theory, but not practical. that's why i took a eurostar to belgium and rented a car from there.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Resident Bullshitter

driving RHD in LHD country is not a big deal, I do that everyday anyways.

how are the gas prices? is it like 1 euro each liter or something?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

up to you - if you're used to it, it's no big deal. you are in a foreign country tho - but if you do it on a daily basis, that's cool.

gas prices are around that - maybe a little less. i think in london, we paid something like 80 or 90p a litre... can't quite remember. i remember spain having cheaper diesel than portugal. different countries will have different tax rates.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Gas prices are expensive in the UK. Last summer it was around 1pound/$2 per litre and around 1.35Euro / $1.85 Canadian in Germany/Czech Republic/Eastern Europe armpit countries.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

its about the same numbers on the gas boards as vancouver, but instead of $1.07 a liter it's 1.07 Pounds a liter
Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Gas prices are expensive in the UK. Last summer it was around 1pound/$2 per litre and around 1.35Euro / $1.85 Canadian in Germany/Czech Republic/Eastern Europe armpit countries.
LOL. Armpit countries??
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
If you plan on doing that big of a round trip while driving, you'd better be planning on staying there for more than three weeks. I spent 17 days travelling between France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Italy and Austria and the majority of the time consisted of driving.

The length of time you're planning on visiting will greatly dictate where you should go and via what route.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
LOL. Armpit countries??
east europe is the armpit of europe. we all know that!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

I'm planning on going to Europe with my wife this summer for about 3 weeks. Has anybody tried any of the tour groups (e.g. Contiki or Trafalgar)? I know it's cheaper and you can see more if you do it yourself, but this is our first time and would prefer to join a group (don't have to worry about language, transportation, etc.)
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
Resident Bullshitter

for one thing... I must drive to Germany... it would be a waste of the GT Speed that I'll be borrowing from my uncle and not driving it at 300km/h+

I guess it would be easier to make the trip shorter and cut off swiss and italy for this trip