REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Demonstration on cambie bridge?

I heard through the grapevine that there is going to be some green demonstration sometime in the next couple weeks in which the hippies will be blocking the cambie bridge,

Anyone confirming this?

I hear it's the same group that did this

EDIT: a co-worker/friend has informed me that the guy with the harper face mask is my manager at work, LOL I just left 2 weeks ago and this is what happens!
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

What else is new in Vancouver
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
cool story bro.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

LOL best way to help the environment is to cause a huge traffic jam releasing completely wasted carbon emissions from cars idling to the hippies!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
The blonde holding the white poster board is pretty hot! More pics of her!
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
mc.
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Y View Post
The blonde holding the white poster board is pretty hot! More pics of her!
+1
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

This was my response to another thread but probably fits just as well here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsport View Post
Revscene is truly full of fucking stupid people!

All you haters of activists (Greenpeace, Critical Mass, etc) should really consider moving to the United States under Bush/Republican rule. Over there, activists are squashed like bugs! Literally! Police forces there are armed with unlimited supplies of bear mace, tazars, and other weapons to deal with these troublesome interlopers! Woot woot! In the Land of the Free, corporations can knowingly use toxic chemicals in their products and destroy entire ecosystems with immunity! They even save on PR because they know their buddies in the government will shut up any and all nosy citizens! Why worry about human rights, the destruction of our planet, and other silly stuff when you have much more important things to do!- like shopping and watching the Canucks on PPV! Duh!

LOL, why do I bother, this is Revscene. I bet 90+% the members don't even remember the last time they picked up a book LOL.
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Your whole response in general doesnt fit on revscene. This is a Car enthusiast website, do you expect people on here to agree with some of the ways the activists demonstrate their points? Especially the ones to do with cars?
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Your whole response in general doesnt fit on revscene. This is a Car enthusiast website, do you expect people on here to agree with some of the ways the activists demonstrate their points? Especially the ones to do with cars?
So are you saying all car enthusiasts are idiots and cannot be reasoned with? Do all car enthusiasts hate nature, the very thing that gives us life?

Even Jay Leno, the epitome of car enthusiasts-has drastically changed his views about the automotive industry after learning about global warming and other critical environmental problems. He's championing for sustainable energy for cars and praises companies like Tesla. The most successful automotive companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D to produce new sustainable technologies for future products. Case-in-point, the Japanese are investing heavily in new materials that are lighter and stronger (and less polluting, highly recyclable) to replace energy-intensive-steel. BMW has pioneered "cradle-to-cradle" manufacturing. That is, every nut and bolt that goes into a BMW can be recycled efficiently and economically after the useful life of the product because they've engineered their components to be made of only highly recyclable materials. Porche claims their cars are 97% recyclable or something to that effect.

The point is, automotive sport and the environment need not be mutually exclusive. But it is only because of activists and concerned consumers that these car companies are making their cars more "environmentally responsible." Environmental activists are doing everyone, including car enthusiasts a big favor. By lobbying our government to impose restrictions on carbon emissions or to stop processing Alberta's oil shales (or whatever environmental concern), by raising the price of fossil fuels (closer to its true cost on society, the balancing of externalities)- is forcing automotive companies to make cars that are cleaner, more efficient AND fun to drive. I'd enjoy driving a lot more if I didn't have lung disease resulting from breathing in all the toxic fumes!

Take a look at the best educated and most cultured countries in the world (Western Europe, Japan, etc.). They have by far the most stringent regulation on pollution for their cars - they also produce the most fun-to-drive, efficient, and safe cars (BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc.)

Then take a look at the country with the least environmental regulation, and the people with the least environmental awareness -the US of A. They produce cars of the worst quality, their cars are the least fun to drive, and they pollute like crazy! (only boobs buy American now LOL!)

You decide.

Last edited by ctsport; 10-04-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

time to take out my cat... jk
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
So are you saying all car enthusiasts are idiots and cannot be reasoned with? Do all car enthusiasts hate nature, the very thing that gives us life?

Even Jay Leno, the epitome of car enthusiasts-has drastically changed his views about the automotive industry after learning about global warming and other critical environmental problems. He's championing for sustainable energy for cars and praises companies like Tesla. The most successful automotive companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D to produce new sustainable technologies for future products. Case-in-point, the Japanese are investing heavily in new materials that are lighter and stronger (and less polluting, highly recyclable) to replace energy-intensive-steel. BMW has pioneered "cradle-to-cradle" manufacturing. That is, every nut and bolt that goes into a BMW can be recycled efficiently and economically after the useful life of the product because they've engineered their components to be made of only highly recyclable materials. Porche claims their cars are 97% recyclable or something to that effect.

The point is, automotive sport and the environment need not be mutually exclusive. But it is only because of activists and concerned consumers that these car companies are making their cars more "environmentally responsible." Environmental activists are doing everyone, including car enthusiasts a big favor. By lobbying our government to impose restrictions on carbon emissions or to stop processing Alberta's oil shales (or whatever environmental concern), by raising the price of fossil fuels (closer to its true cost on society, the balancing of externalities)- is forcing automotive companies to make cars that are cleaner, more efficient AND fun to drive. I'd enjoy driving a lot more if I didn't have lung disease resulting from breathing in all the toxic fumes!

Take a look at the best educated and most cultured countries in the world (Western Europe, Japan, etc.). They have by far the most stringent regulation on pollution for their cars - they also produce the most fun-to-drive, efficient, and safe cars (BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc.)

Then take a look at the country with the least environmental regulation, and the people with the least environmental awareness -the US of A. They produce cars of the worst quality, their cars are the least fun to drive, and they pollute like crazy! (only boobs buy American now LOL!)

You decide.
tl:dr

now make me a sammich.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:

You decide.
that's all well and good, but this demonstration will achieve nothing to improve vancouver/canada's environmental regulation, it's gonna cause a big traffic jam for a couple of hours and then everyone will forget about them.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Whats kinda nice about this is that cambie street bridge is right by the police station. So right once the demonstration starts the police can move out and beat skulls in.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
no one cares and hippys need to be beaten as was the tradition in the 60's.

if you wanna make a difference get an education and enter into politics, no one cares that you have read a book lately...

btw - there is significant research available that indicates hippies smell like bigfoots dick more than ever...

Al_Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

These demonstrations do nothing but back up traffic and lead to possible violence. More harm then good.

I say give the cops a break that day and send in the fire dept with their hose
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Capwn View Post
no one cares and hippys need to be beaten as was the tradition in the 60's.

if you wanna make a difference get an education and enter into politics, no one cares that you have read a book lately...

btw - there is significant research available that indicates hippies smell like bigfoots dick more than ever...

If this donkey is representative of the average Canadian, then Canada will become a 3rd world country in no time (just like what's happening down south). Congrats meathead!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Where did you work before?/ lol
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Yes it will take place on Oct 24, to coincide with International Climate Action Day. Likely a large banner will be hung from the bridge and traffic will be screwed.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Honestly, that could be the very best idea to handle environmental issues. Cradle to cradle manufacturing has the ability to change a great number of things.

Sorry, i know this isn't on target, but just picture the change in thinking from requiring companies to be responsible for their products for the entire life-cycle.

You start to design and build with disassembly in mind.

Very exciting to think that the entire world could change. In effect, giving capitalism a change to fix the wrongs its created.

Maybe the hippies should start asking for things that actually make sense.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #20

Quote:
If this donkey is representative of the average Canadian, then Canada will become a 3rd world country in no time (just like what's happening down south). Congrats meathead!
If you represent our emerging generation, were all fucked.. Its people like you that sit around and complain, instead of taking action yourself that will lead to any downfall... fucking complaintor....

for reading some stats and developing an opinion whose worth represents the height of mediocrity....

Last edited by Al_Capwn; 10-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

more pics of the blonde
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Capwn View Post
If you represent our emerging generation, were all fucked.. Its people like you that sit around and complain, instead of taking action yourself that will lead to any downfall... fucking complaintor....

for reading some stats and developing an opinion whose worth represents the height of mediocrity....
At SFU I am studying how the system (business and politics) works and how to improve it for the betterment of society. At my fathers company, I am learning best business practices so I can start my own socially-and-environmentally-responsible (and profitable) business.

How are YOU CONTRIBUTING to the safekeeping and betterment of society?

Last edited by ctsport; 10-05-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

hahahaha u sound like a fucking tool bag but good on ya!

just know that all the environmental friendly things you advocate for wont make a big enough difference to even make your own life sustainable

all of us consume and damage the environment 10000X more than what we do to help it

not to mention population is suppose to double within the next few decades, so for every can u recycle theres prob 10 that go to waste, unless 10s of millions of 3rd world citizens living in slums some how decide recycling and saving the earth is more important then finding food to eat

buuuut of course that is EXACTLY why we MUST take action now and change our ways and yada yada yada, too bad human nature is set in a way that we won't worry about it until it becomes a MAJOR problem that effects our everyday lives
the human race is destined to become extinct... just a matter of how long the earth will stay sustainable... doesn't look like its going to be very long at the current rate we are exponentially fucking shit up. ya im pretty pessimistic but thanks to ppl like you maybe there will be breakthrough technology that saves of us all
but for now im gonna go flush my toilet and take a shower with the lights on
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6chr0nic4 View Post
hahahaha u sound like a fucking tool bag but good on ya!

just know that all the environmental friendly things you advocate for wont make a big enough difference to even make your own life sustainable
Human beings have been living sustainability for millions of years. There is no reason we can't be living sustainably now. We have the technology to do so.

Western Europeans and the Japanese are learning to live more sustainably every year. Canadians can too, if we choose to.

It could be that these problems can't be solved, but what can men of good conscience do but keep trying until the very end? - Jacques Cousteau

Last edited by ctsport; 10-05-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #25

Quote:
At SFU I am studying how the system (business and politics) works and how to improve it for the betterment of society. At my fathers company, I am learning best business practices so I can start my own socially-and-environmentally-responsible (and profitable) business.

How are YOU CONTRIBUTING to the safekeeping and betterment of society?

At SFU you should learn to STFU