REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   pre-cooked turkey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/591514-pre-cooked-turkey.html)

Jermyzy 10-04-2009 07:53 AM

pre-cooked turkey

I'm looking for a place to buy a turkey where they cook it for you, all you have to do is pick up . I know some of the Chinese places in Richmond do it...but which ones? Thanks in advance. I'm hosting dinner for my family for thanksgiving and I'm making a lot of stuff, so no room for the turkey!

SkinnyPupp 10-04-2009 08:02 AM

Dude if you're gonna make anything, make the turkey and get other stuff catered!

willystyle 10-04-2009 08:15 AM

Parker Place BBQ @Parker Place..

winson604 10-04-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6620767)
Dude if you're gonna make anything, make the turkey and get other stuff catered!

+1

It's a complete rip to buy it cooked and I'm not even talking about double the money but way more. Like Skinny said if there's anything your making it should be the turkey.

miss_crayon 10-04-2009 12:12 PM

my b-law's mom is a frequent roasty jacks customer so they offered to cook her the thanksgiving turkey last year.

you can always ask a specific location you're close to if they are willing to

Jermyzy 10-04-2009 04:02 PM

I should mention I've never cooked a turkey before, don't want to mess up my first thanksgiving dinner when all my family is there. I will check out Parker Place or maybe I will attempt it :p

SkinnyPupp 10-04-2009 05:14 PM

It's not hard to cook a turkey, it just takes a long time. Just be sure to get a Butterball, and you'll be fine :)

tiger_handheld 10-04-2009 07:30 PM

safeway has a thanksgiving in a box for $50

gravy,turkey,potatoes,cranberry,buns,salad

all u have to do is pop in the oven. n u got a dinner in about 2-3hrs.

willystyle 10-04-2009 10:32 PM

^ It's $70, not $50.

Believe me, the Safeway deal is a rip.

How hard is it to cook a turkey? Just stick a Meat Therometer in there. You can't fuck that up. :)

Why Butterball?

Ch28 10-04-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6621645)
Why Butterball?

A grade A flawless Butterball turkey is a great way to ensure the total success of your Christmas celebrations. Frozen Butterball turkeys are basted in brine to stay tender and moist.

Note that margarine has been replaced with brine to cut down on the fat in the pan and make your turkey even more tender and juicy.

willystyle 10-04-2009 10:42 PM

So, do I need to de-frost the bird first before I cook it? or can I throw all the ingredients together with the frozen turkey then rotisserie it?

winson604 10-04-2009 10:59 PM

Defrost first, give it some time as it will take a while.

SkinnyPupp 10-05-2009 03:23 AM

Contrary to what you may think, the name "Butterball" has nothing to do with butter or margarine. It's just a brand that produces pre-brined turkeys that are VERY tender and delicious.

Even if they did "inject them with butter" that would be just another reason NOT to avoid it, as butter is very good for you, and makes everything taste delicious.

willystyle 10-05-2009 08:47 AM

Where can I find Butterball Turkeys?

Expresso 10-05-2009 10:00 AM

I'm not sure if those chinese BBQ places can do different styles. But my parents had them cook it one time and they used the roasted duck seasoning. And it was just wrong haha. I wasn't fan of the sweetness and you couldn't make any gravy from the drippings cause of the flavour.

Jermyzy 10-05-2009 07:47 PM

Save-on has Butterball turkeys, but they only had a few sizes left...either too small or too big :p

Anyways, ended up getting a chinese place in Richmond Public market to cook the turkey for me...I'll try cooking it next year when I have more time :p

BTW, the Save-on at Ackroyd also says they can order in a turducken...I want to try that next year!

HonestTea 10-05-2009 08:52 PM

Anyone know any recipes or good ways to prepare a thanksgiving turkey/feast?

I know I can google it up but I'd like to hear what RS members do and what are their favorites :)

Vansterdam 10-06-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 6622893)
Save-on has Butterball turkeys, but they only had a few sizes left...either too small or too big :p

Anyways, ended up getting a chinese place in Richmond Public market to cook the turkey for me...I'll try cooking it next year when I have more time :p

BTW, the Save-on at Ackroyd also says they can order in a turducken...I want to try that next year!

what was the price on the turducken?

unit 10-06-2009 10:34 AM

our family used a butterball last year for the first time.
they always do a great job cooking the turkey anyway, but the butterball cooked a lot faster and was super tender too.

bobsaget 10-06-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6623666)
what was the price on the turducken?

I saw it at Pricesmart north road ( same as save-on?) and it was 80 bucks, only 10 or something lbs in total, but it was supposed to be mostly deboned, and it was also stuffed with cajun sausage meat, looked pretty amazing. I might go back to get one haha

Great68 10-06-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6621842)
Contrary to what you may think, the name "Butterball" has nothing to do with butter or margarine. It's just a brand that produces pre-brined turkeys that are VERY tender and delicious.

Even if they did "inject them with butter" that would be just another reason NOT to avoid it, as butter is very good for you, and makes everything taste delicious.

From the Butterball.ca website product info on fresh whole turkey:

"Fresh turkeys have all the Butterball special features plus they are deep basted with a specially formulated margarine to make the breast meat tender and flavourful."

:eek:

Great68 10-06-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Devil's Apprentice (Post 6623026)
Anyone know any recipes or good ways to prepare a thanksgiving turkey/feast?

I know I can google it up but I'd like to hear what RS members do and what are their favorites :)

Thanksgiving dinner is not a difficult dinner, just requires lots of time and effort. It's just a lot of small simple dishes.

Last year I did a (brined myself) fresh local turkey, mashed potato/yams, Brussel sprouts on the vine, cooked peas & carrots.

I personally don't like "pre-basted" or "pre brined" or "pre-anything" turkey. It's not a whole lot of extra effort to do it yourself, and it's only something I do once a year anyways. Plus you know what you put into your food, not what some factory puts in.

SkinnyPupp 10-07-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6624634)
From the Butterball.ca website product info on fresh whole turkey:

"Fresh turkeys have all the Butterball special features plus they are deep basted with a specially formulated margarine to make the breast meat tender and flavourful."

:eek:

Wow, the American version doesn't have that at all! And the frozen version doesn't either. Who would have thought that the Canadian version has the richer, tastier, healthier version!

By the way, their margarine is made from non-hydrogenated palm oil, which is naturally saturated and very good for you. It's probably the only margarine ever invented that isn't a disgusting slurry of toxic oil.

ostampflee 10-07-2009 06:36 AM

I wish I wrote down last two years ago turkey recipe... it was combination of an IPA, cajun spices, and some savory spices and was the best turkey I've ever eaten.

Last year's, we did on the bbq due a power outage. Boy that was fun!

This year, I'm considering deep frying... or maybe I'll just get lazy and make my famous turkey meatball meatball fettuccine with mushroom sauce.

Great68 10-07-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6624696)
Wow, the American version doesn't have that at all! And the frozen version doesn't either. Who would have thought that the Canadian version has the richer, tastier, healthier version!

By the way, their margarine is made from non-hydrogenated palm oil, which is naturally saturated and very good for you. It's probably the only margarine ever invented that isn't a disgusting slurry of toxic oil.

Sounds good. But I'll admit I'd still rather baste the turkey myself with butter.