REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #26
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
When I still had my class 7, I grabbed like 5 of those signs and put them in my trunk just in case....

Me: Hello, may I get some N signs please?
ICBC: Okay
[hands me one sign]
Me: May I have more?
ICBC: Why do you need more than one?
Me: People like to steal them off my trunk.
ICBC: Then stick it inside your window.
Me: My back window is tinted, you can't see it clearly.
ICBC: Oh
[hands over 4 more]
Me: Thank you.

Simple as that

Props to you man. People now a days are so lazy and self-righteous. Woe is me!

Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #27
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i havent get tickets for 2 years already. and today i got suspended by a police, while i was parking my car in a closed park, police came up, and asked me for the licence, and they told me they are going to suspend my licence, i was not even driving my car, cant even say its in bad attitude right? so how can they suspend my driver licence while i am just sitting in my car?

PS: I have been having my N for 7 years straight, accident free, why am i not getting class 5? it was because i thought i was not going to drink and drive, not going to have passengers, so thats why i never did a class 5...so after this suspend do i need to wait another 2 years to get class 5? because i was planning to take class 5 in the coming up summer time...><
Skyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Cops don't have the ability to just arbitrarily suspend your license on the spot, other than with a 24-hour suspension for DUI. However, if you had too many tickets prior, the Superintendent may have suspended your license, and you didn't know about it because you conveniently ignored the letter informing you. Also, even a N license expires after 5 years and has to be renewed - if you've been on your N for 7 years and not renewed it in that time, that could be your problem right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #29
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

^ i did renew it 2 years ago, for another N...but i never get any 24 hrs suspend before...is it possible to call icbc to fight for this? to get my licence back? or shorter suspend?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #30

You could call ICBC and ask WHY you're suspended, they should be able to tell you that. If not, try contacting the cop who took it. If it's by order of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles (for too many tickets/violations, for example), you'd have to write to him to discuss it any further; ICBC won't be able to do anything about it.
Quote:
Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Scenario goes like this...your DL was suspended and you did not respond to their attempts to prohibit you by way of regsitered letter. You then go into the database as..."prohibited. serve suspension notice", which the Police did. They may have run your plate and found the prohib notice popped up. You could be walking down the street and they could have served the notice....you don't have to be driving. Contact the MVB and ask for additional details. The prohibition notice will give you details of how long, and under which section of the MVA they are using to prohibit you. Prohibition doesn't just "happen". There must be grounds for them to do it and it can run anywhere from medical concerns to tickets, to Criminal Code prohibitions. You must have at least some idea.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #32
I bringith the lowerballerith

What paperwork were you given by the police officer who suspended your licence?

Also, if there is a note on your driving record to serve a Notice Of Prohibition, you don't even need to be near a vehicle in order to be served the Notice.

*edit* i must be a really slow typer... zulu's post wasn't there when I hit reply.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #33

^zulu's a fast typist. He may be retired, but it takes years for the accumulated sugar and caffeine buzz to wear off
Quote:
Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

i guess im going to call them later today...since i always think i should at lease get a 24hrs suspension before i am getting a 2 month....i never got any 24 hrs.... even last time my friend was drink and drive, he only got a 24 hrs suspend.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyos View Post
since i always think i should at lease get a 24hrs suspension before i am getting a 2 month....i never got any 24 hrs.... even last time my friend was drink and drive, he only got a 24 hrs suspend.
You can get 2 speeding tickets and get suspended..... or you can get 1 excessive speeding ticket and get suspended.... you don't have to get a 12 or 24hr suspension in order to get your licence suspended by the motor vehicle branch.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #36
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

do any of you know is there a possibility to fight for it? like shorter period or warning?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #37

Quote:
i guess im going to call them later today...since i always think i should at lease get a 24hrs suspension before i am getting a 2 month....i never got any 24 hrs.... even last time my friend was drink and drive, he only got a 24 hrs suspend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
You can get 2 speeding tickets and get suspended..... or you can get 1 excessive speeding ticket and get suspended.... you don't have to get a 12 or 24hr suspension in order to get your licence suspended by the motor vehicle branch.
What sho_bc said.

Try to pay attention here: a 24 hour suspension is what the cops can hand out on the roadside if they suspect you of being impaired, but not necessarily over the legal limit. It's not a "warning" before a longer suspension.

If you had two or more speeding tickets while on your L or N license, chances are that's why you're being given a two-month suspension. You would have got a letter informing you of this, sent to the address your driver's license is registered to... just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean the suspension doesn't take effect. And if you didn't see it because you moved, and didn't update your address, you're looking at even more trouble there.
Quote:
Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #38

Quote:
do any of you know is there a possibility to fight for it? like shorter period or warning?
: This has been asked and answered many many times.

You can write to the Superintendent and plead your case, but I would say that if you were caught on the road with a suspended license (even just sitting in the driver's seat in a parking lot), with your physical license still in your possession (since you're SUPPOSED to turn it in when you get the letter!), the chances of leniency are slim.

Only two months? Suck it up, princess. The time will be up before you finish whining about it.
Quote:
Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #39
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
That is up to the Supt. Motor Vehicles to decide. Lots of tickets that show a bad attitude and a history of driving that breaks the laws would indicate an "unsatisfactory driving record ". The more moving violations you have, the more likely you are to be prohibited. The also seem to have a lower threshold for new drivers in the GLP as the MVB have said that they will do this to try to impress proper driving actions on new drivers early in their driving career.
You should know that ICBC and the MVB have requested that Police inform them of drivers who display poor attitudes and present high risks to other drivers and themselves. I have written reports to them requesting that MVB take a look at the driver's continuing suitibility to hold a DL when I came across terrible attitudes and terrible driving. An excessive speed ticket does not tell the story...but letting them know that it was 232 in a 110, over an extended distance and in traffic, does. ( BTW that was an adult in his 50's and he had major attitude problems to go with it.)
To expand on that, the reasons don't necessarily have to make sense, and it's pretty much random. It has nothing to do with being a 'safe' driver and it is not only given to people with 'unsafe' records. For instance, you can get an arbitrary suspension for having a failure to display N sign ticket, which has nothing to do with being 'unsafe'. That may have changed however, since when it was first introduced, that infraction was considered no different from driving without corrective eyewear, etc. I think they moved it now, not sure.

You can write to them and get it reversed, because I doubt anyone actually looked at your individual case when you got the suspension. Writing to them will get someone to look at it, and if it is a silly case (such as being suspended for no N sign) they will reverse the suspension.

In my case, I got a speeding ticket for going 56 Km/h in a 50 zone (speed trap on #4 road where that military building is, no traffic), and then a week later a ticket for no N sign going through a road block (it was there in the back window, but fell down a bit that day, and was only partially visible). This was seen as grounds for a 6 month suspension. Obviously I argued it, and they reversed it immediately. This was just when the GLP started too. In both cases, it was the police officers' first time seeing a green license (they were amused, I was not). It also probably explained the lack of leniency, I can't be sure. I haven't gotten a ticket since then (2001?)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #40
Need to Seek Professional Help

^ Pretty much my case with being suspended for not having an N sign, they still said no. Writing them was a complete waste of time and money as they did not even bother to look at my case again.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #41
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^^

It is extremely tough to crack the Superintendent... My sister sent in a letter, which was literally spelled out for her word-by-word from a lawyer, to the superintendent. She wasn't able to cancel the suspension but it was reduced from 3mo to 1mo. At the end of the day though, I believe the $100 review fee is a cash grab/scare tactic.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
At the end of the day though, I believe the $100 review fee is a cash grab/scare tactic.
Yeah, OR it's a little something to prevent every whiner and his dog from wasting the Supe's time.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
^^

It is extremely tough to crack the Superintendent... My sister sent in a letter, which was literally spelled out for her word-by-word from a lawyer, to the superintendent. She wasn't able to cancel the suspension but it was reduced from 3mo to 1mo. At the end of the day though, I believe the $100 review fee is a cash grab/scare tactic.
Yeah but why was she suspended? It doesn't matter how well it was worded, if you're a crappy driver you're a crappy driver. She got 2/3 of the suspension taken off, what do you really expect?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #44

^^ I agree with you guys. I know just about everyone tries to dispute their suspension, violation ticket, whatever...

I didn't completely express my view, so those fails were deserved. A lot of people disputing XXX are quite ignorant, believing they'll win. What I meant to say was that 95% of the time, the disputees are wasting their money. They receive no alterations to their prohibition.

BTW, the ticket she received was for driving an unfit vehicle (something along those lines, 6points I believe). From what I heard, she borrowed a vehicle and she rear-ended someone on the highway. Cops showed up and issued her the ticket because the tires were pretty much bald.

Short end of the stick for my sister. Borrowing a car, people dont expect it to be ticketed for safety issues the owner should have taken care of.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #45
Retired Traffic Cop

You don't get penalty points for a bald tire ticket, even if it is written under 219(1) MVA. You do get 6 points for driving without due care and attention or driving without reasonable consideration for others though....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Reading between the lines in your post...your sister got charged because the bald tyres caused her to crash into another vehicle? Unless they were slicks I'm assuming there might be more to this story? Are you going on what she told you or were you there as a witness?

"Borrowing a car, people dont expect it to be ticketed for safety issues the owner should have taken care of.[/"

I agree with this statement that people don't expect to be ticketed for safety reasons the owner should have taken care of...they may not EXPECT...but they are fully liable for what happens when they drive and the mechanical condition of the vehicle. Otherwise you could borrow anybody's vehicle that is in horrible mechanical condition, crash and walk away saying you were not responsible...even if you knew that car was unsafe.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #47

I'm just getting this through her side of the story. This happened on Hwy 1 on her way to Langley. Someone hit the brakes hard, her bald wheels/tires locked up when she tried to do the same.

Thinking about it, she was charged with driving w/o consideration for others because of the lack of tread on the tires. Thanks skidmark for jogging my memory.

Didn't mean for this thread to go so off-topic. I was just responding to a question aimed at me.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #48
RS Peace Officer

So she hammered the brakes and locked the wheels in a panic stop ?. The VT was likely more for her driving, than the mechanical condition. I can't see someone issuing a VT for a mechanical problem and using a reasonable consideration...unless it was some horrendous problem ? Not saying it would not be done, but I have never come across that happening before. Based on what you have told us, it doesn't seem to fit the circumstances?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #49

If it makes a difference, the impact was enough to write off both vehicles. Both vehicles do have low blue book values though. She hit a ~1990 Nissan 240SX, the borrowed car was a small mazda sedan of roughly the same year.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #50
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,071 Times in 346 Posts
Do officers have the right to ask you to show your licence at a roadblock?
ThatKoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote