REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #26
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Why is the XLB place in Crystal Mall listed as closed?
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/14241...l-Mall-Burnaby

I just saw it open not two weeks ago. Can anyone confirm this closure?

I called their line 604-909-6688 and a lady picked up but I can't speak Mandarin.

The best XLB place in the city simply CANNOT CLOSE!

I wouldn't know how to feed my addiction otherwise.
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
It's still opened - I was there on Thursday. Don't always trust Urbanspoon listings. I've run into several listings where it was "closed" but really, they were opened and in business.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I recall reading a thread on here that somewhere in the 60 ish block and granville had the best ones? I can't find the thread anyone know what the place is called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelu View Post
i'd like to know about this place on granville too! i live for siu long baos!
but nothing beats siu long baos from shanghai! ppl line up at 6am for them!

Lots of places in richmond have pretty good ones too, a lot of restaurants have it's own siu long bao area where the chefs are constantly preparing them.
I'm not sure if this is the restaurant you guys are thinking about but IMHO it's one of the best shops for Siu Long Bao and it's on Granville. It's a little mom & pop store that looks a little run down but DAYAM they have the best XLB!... explosive tasty soupiness! All their other dishes are pretty good too (Spicy Beef Noodle, Dan Dan Noodle, Beef Wrap just to name a few)
It's called The Place - 8028 Granville Street (around 63rd Ave.)
http://chowtimes.com/2008/07/15/the-...ncouver-south/

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
there's that one in crystal mall, it's not too bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
This this place called Wang's I think at the Crystal Mall food court near the end of the food court.

Hands down the best siu long baos.
My friend's family owns that shop, it's unexpectedly good for a Food Court store!

Edit: I've also had XLB in Shanghai and you obviously can't compare (yummy memories!) but I also went to that apparently world-famous Taiwanese super-chain called "Din Tai Fung", they franchised down in Seattle last month and it was EPIC FAIL!... extremely overpriced and terrible quality!... no wonder they expanded out of Taiwan to Seattle, they wouldn't survive against Vancouver/Richmond competition.
(Keeping in mind I never tried the DTF that's actually in Taiwan)

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

My friend's family owns that shop, it's unexpectedly good for a Food Court store!
Rumours are they sold the shop...any truth to it?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #30
degenerate extraordinaire

I love going to The Place. The decor makes it look like ass, but definitely the XLB's are tasty with so much soup/juice inside!
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
]
Edit: I've also had XLB in Shanghai and you obviously can't compare (yummy memories!) but I also went to that apparently world-famous Taiwanese super-chain called "Din Tai Fung", they franchised down in Seattle last month and it was EPIC FAIL!... extremely overpriced and terrible quality!... no wonder they expanded out of Taiwan to Seattle, they wouldn't survive against Vancouver/Richmond competition.
(Keeping in mind I never tried the DTF that's actually in Taiwan)
I've tried that place in Taiwan! lol.. I was pretty disappointed.. had to wait like 30minutes outside.. (went with a tour, so i assume they had reso's) major fail

Anyways back on topic the best place i've had it is at the place in richmond called Top Shanghai Cuisine.. Skin = thin, Soup = lots and flavourful, meats = solid
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #32
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
BTW it's "little basket buns" not 'dragon'. The word "lung" is written almost the same, but has one or two strokes different. it is also said the same.. Gotta love Chinese right?

I thought the same thing for many years, but I learned a while ago so thought I'd share
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
BTW it's "little basket buns" not 'dragon'. The word "lung" is written almost the same, but has one or two strokes different. it is also said the same.. Gotta love Chinese right?

I thought the same thing for many years, but I learned a while ago so thought I'd share
Holy fuck.. I never noticed that until you pointed it out.

http://www.dintaifungusa.com/ch/ch_cuisine01_1.html
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotong View Post
shanghai river in richmond
Expensive!

Hands down Shanghai JJ across Richmond center beside Kerrisdale Cameras
Lady is super nice and if you sweet talk her she hooks you up with discount
Hheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #35
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

crystal mall om nom nom so juicy....
1newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
Rumours are they sold the shop...any truth to it?
Last time I went to Crystal Mall (about 4 months ago?), my friend was still working there so unless it was very recently then I don't think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
I've tried that place in Taiwan! lol.. I was pretty disappointed.. had to wait like 30minutes outside.. (went with a tour, so i assume they had reso's) major fail
OMG yeah on top of that I had to wait over an HOUR to get in!... if they actually made me wait in line I would have been fuming since the restaurant was way below expectatations!!... but instead they took my name down so I was free to wander about ... haha I killed some time in the little arcade in that mall!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #37

Yeah it was a recent changeover. I went today and they have a new name. The store is still there and the menu is the same though.