REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Allow Unlicensed Minor to Drive

I have a question. A friend of mine let his 13 year old daughter drive his car on the streets of our town! What are the implications if they got caught and/or if she got in an accident?

As one might expect, this is an offence against the Motor Vehicle Act. The Act simply says that anyone having possession or control of a motor vehicle and permits an unlicensed minor to drive it commits an offence.

What one might not stop to consider is that if this child caused a collision it could result in financial ruin for the parent. The Insurance (Vehicle) Act allows a claim to be denied if the insured violates a term or condition of the plan. One of the terms of your Autoplan insurance is that the driver must be properly licensed.

At the least the parent who owns the vehicle would have to pay to repair damage to the vehicle. At worst the parent would have to pay the entire bill for damage and injury caused to other property, vehicles and people involved in the collision. When we consider that it is routine to buy a million dollars of third party liability coverage today it is easy to imagine that the financial loss would be devastating.

In view of these facts it can be seen that this is a very poor decision on the part of the parent.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I put that right up there with adults who ride motorcycles with small children sitting on ther gas tank in front of the rider. Illegal and incredibly dangerous. In case of even a minor swerve or braking situation, it will guarantee that the kid gets hurt or killed & so does the rider.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
So, just to clarify, if a person with an L were driving and got into an accident, the insurance would then be void because said driver was not licensed properly, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Say it was a minor accident like the 13 year old hit a parked car's bumper, so say less than 5K of damage,
What are we looking at then?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Say it was a minor accident like the 13 year old hit a parked car's bumper, so say less than 5K of damage,
What are we looking at then?
Said parents are still on the hook for the whole amount as well as being charged with child endangerment etc....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
So, just to clarify, if a person with an L were driving and got into an accident, the insurance would then be void because said driver was not licensed properly, correct?
If that person was driving without their class 5 & over 25yr old supervisor, most likely. It would be an ICBC decision in the end though. As a police officer attending a similar scene, I've issued the L driver with several tickets.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
That's a shade of gray that I can't answer. The person does have a license, but they are disobeying terms of the license, perhaps not the terms of the insurance contract. We'd have to check with ICBC ( feedback@icbc.com ) or an Autoplan Agent for an answer to that one.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

What Skidmark said. take a few moments to read the back of your ICBC registration. Look at what it says in the red box about "use by persons not authorized etc...may invalidate the certificate." In lawyerspeak this means that ICBC may not honour your coverage if you break the law. Given the fact that they sue people for false claims on a regular basis what do you figure the odds would be for them to pay your claim if you deliberately chose to break the law when they had warned you in red letters on your insurance policy?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I just looked at the back of the temp policy and either I missed it, or it just doesn't say it. But it's not something I was planning on doing, I was having a discussion with one of my roommates about it and he said ICBC would still cover any accidents, which didn't make any sense to me. So I figured I would ask here and see, since most of the time you guys have a lot of really useful information.

Thank you Skidmark, I'll email them and ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

It will be on the back of your regular registration sheet.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Retired Traffic Cop

What he may mean is that ICBC will still pay out to the victim, but they will deny to the driver/owner and then sue the driver/owner to recover what was paid out to look after the victim.