REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
I don't get it

Baby in stroller survives train collision

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/1...ls-tracks.html

Quote:
A six-month-old baby in Australia escaped serious injury after his stroller rolled onto the tracks and was hit by an arriving train on Thursday afternoon.

The stroller and child were pushed 40 metres along the tracks as the train driver activated emergency brakes. Miraculously, the baby suffered only minor injuries.

Security video footage released Friday showed the child's mother taking her hands off the stroller and looking away for a moment as the stroller suddenly rolls off the edge of the platform at Ashburton station in Melbourne.

The mother and two other women on the platform rush to stop the stroller but are too late, and a moment later the train hits the stroller. Commuters on the platform are then seen rushing to the front of the train to lend aid.

Victoria state police Sgt. Michael Ferwerda said the incident was a "lucky escape" and warned that people should be cautious in train stations.

The accident comes a day after train operator Connex and Kidsafe Australia launched an ad campaign on child safety awareness, issuing a news release offering tips for locking stroller wheels and making sure children are properly strapped in.

Kidsafe Australia spokesman Dr. Mark Stokes told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. the restraints on the stroller likely saved the child's life.

"The child was strapped in," said Stokes. "Had the child not been strapped in when the train did connect with the pram, the child would have been dislodged from the pram and possibly rolled over by the train," he said.
Video:
http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/fea...rain091016.wmv
Advertisement
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

freaking miracle!
LemonH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
yeah i saw that this morning, pretty amazing.. i guess its lucky the train was coming to a stop

but whats like wtf? is the reaction of the mother... seems more like "oh no..." the bystanders had a bigger reaction
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
but whats like wtf? is the reaction of the mother... seems more like "oh no..." the bystanders had a bigger reaction

I thought she took it pretty well too, maybe she was in a state of disbelief at how big a fuck up she just made.
stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
miracle on 31st street
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i couldn't believe how fast that stroller went for the edge and rolled off... is that platform that steeply sloped???

[edit]okay i just watched the cnn footage and the platform is not sloped, but instead it was very windy at the time.

so why is it only hong kong and japan have those clear barriers on their platforms to keep this sort of thing happening? not to mention all the suicides...
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,306 Times in 1,647 Posts
i saw the video of this today at noon, amazing! what a lucky family, geez.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i couldn't believe how fast that stroller went for the edge and rolled off... is that platform that steeply sloped???

[edit]okay i just watched the cnn footage and the platform is not sloped, but instead it was very windy at the time.

so why is it only hong kong and japan have those clear barriers on their platforms to keep this sort of thing happening? not to mention all the suicides...
it costs over 100,000cdn to install screen door for one platform, go do the math
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
it costs over 100,000cdn to install screen door for one platform, go do the math
crap, that much.... well if they had bothered to install turnstiles to collect fares from day one i'm sure they would have been able to afford it
Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

very lucky
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

oh snap! i woulda looked away too. i can't imagine how the mom felt at that moment. i was considering getting one of those big wheel strollers but holy fuck...they roll way too easy. platform looked level too.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

here's the cnn clip

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ape/index.html
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,525 Times in 4,910 Posts
Saw that this morning. At first, I was like, WTF, you crazy shit, it's a frickin' train station - be a little more careful. I guess it could happen to anyone. My wife used the brakes on the stoller all the time and never left eye contact with the stoller and kids. She never took all three kids by herself, because that was asking for trouble. She was a little anal when it came to the kids. After seeing this, I'm glad she took all the precautions. You never know what'll happen.

Having said all that, I was the world's worse dad. I lost my daughter in Willowbrook Mall during Christmas holiday shopping week. The place was jam packed. She was three, maybe four at the time. I just forgot she was with me. After 15 minutes of frantic searching, I saw wife carrying her and having this really, really disgusted look on her face. WTF! You......... yeah, I felt like shit. On another occasion, I was in charge of watching number one son. I was reading a car audio magazine while the son was in a shopping cart. They didn't have those seat belt things like they do nowadays. Well, my son who was really bright and full of curiosity reached out for something on the shelves and fell right out. Head first right onto the concrete. Woops....... Every time my son does something stupid, my wife say, "It's all your fault........." I think my wife stopped letting me take care of the kids after a few incidents like those. Hey, what do you expect from someone who has ADD? I make Homer look like father of the year.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Holy shit... good thing the stroller didn't get caught under the train...
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Well, my son who was really bright and full of curiosity reached out for something on the shelves and fell right out. Head first right onto the concrete. Woops....... Every time my son does something stupid, my wife say, "It's all your fault........." I think my wife stopped letting me take care of the kids after a few incidents like those. Hey, what do you expect from someone who has ADD? I make Homer look like father of the year.
don't feel so bad. i saw this happen with a kid at costco, but he wasn't in the seat but in the front basket where you weren't supposed to be. dad makes a left, kid goes right and *BONK*

... unless that was you?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
... unless that was you?
20 years ago in Metrotown Save-On Foods, I think.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Sweet Mary Lucifer.. Thats going to be one over protective mother for a while now.

Sure hope the baby's "minor injuries" wont deter it from the opportunity to experience the "My Baby Can Read" program for the now phenomenal introductory price of $14.95! If you call now, you will pay NO shipping and handling!! Help your child WANT to read MORE.

100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back!!!
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Hopeless Romantic

Saw this yesterday on the news... I can't imagine what passes through her mind the second the train passes over her child... like holy fuck
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #19
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post
Sweet Mary Lucifer.. Thats going to be one over protective mother for a while now.

Sure hope the baby's "minor injuries" wont deter it from the opportunity to experience the "My Baby Can Read" program for the now phenomenal introductory price of $14.95! If you call now, you will pay NO shipping and handling!! Help your child WANT to read MORE.

100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back!!!
And here I thought I was way out in left field.

Sweet Mary Lucifer - awesome!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i bet she tried to kill her kid and is now devastated that its still alive
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote