REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Reg Park's Workout (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593310-reg-parks-workout.html)

triplexcel 10-20-2009 01:08 AM

Reg Park's Workout

For the people who don't know who Reg Park, he is one of the most famous bodybuilders of all time. Hell, he was the dude that got Arnold Schwarzenegger into bodybuilding. Reg's way of working out was having you work on the main BB exercises; basically, working on the fundamentals of bodybuilding. His workouts do look pretty crazy, but it just a matter of adapting and getting use to. I did phase 1 of the his workout today and it was pretty intense having to do all 3 BB exercises in one day.

I've done quite a few workouts but never really felt confident until i came across this one and the velocity diet 3.0 (some other workout).

i suggest giving this article a read. http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/getting-s...-programs.html

Atm, i'm
Squating 315x4. goal is to hit 355 by the end of this year
Bench 255x5. Goal 300lbs
Deadlift 325x4. 375
DB shoulder press 85x5.

Although the workout is only 3 days a week, you will need sufficient resting periods for your muscles from all the heavy lifting.
Its back to the basics again.

Happy lifting.

DC5-S 10-20-2009 08:26 AM

you squat 315x4 and you think you will be at 400 in 2 and half months? anyways, its a good program but id rather follow the SS one.

RacePace 10-20-2009 08:31 AM

I would say 355 is a better goal

triplexcel 10-20-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5-S (Post 6643767)
you squat 315x4 and you think you will be at 400 in 2 and half months? anyways, its a good program but id rather follow the SS one.

haha, i knew that one was coming. anyways, what is this "ss one" your talking about?

DC5-S 10-20-2009 01:11 PM

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-21-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

It's definitely doable without steroids or being an olympic level athlete with nothing else to do except workout. It's only fucking 85 pounds, using the largest muscle group in your body.

actually maybe 400, is a LITTLE high. i just did the math and you'd have to be able to increase your strength by 1.13lbs per day for 75 days, that sounds slightly hard to do without like way above average dedication to working out.

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-21-2009 04:03 AM

HAH! got this from that link

1. Eat Like a King
Muscle isn't made out of thin air, it's made out of the fuel you provide it and that's food. You can forget everything you've learned and will learn in this article, if you don't eat enough to fuel growth you won't grow. You kids have this idea that you can grow bigger and somehow stay smaller, that you can pack on 20-30 lbs of muscle and keep an Ethiopian six-pack. It ain't gonna happen, or it'll happen so slowly that your grand kids will grow faster than you do. And if you're saying to yourself that you can't seem to gain weight, I got another name for you so-called "hard gainers," it's under eaters! If you're having trouble adding weight to the scale you need to be eating everything that isn't nailed down, then you need to eat everything that is nailed down, and then you need to eat the nails. For guys, everytime you sit down for a meal it's a banquet, a competitive eating contest, it's an Olympic sport! Screw your light yogurt and your skim milk, you need to be downing whole milk, whole eggs, nuts, peanut butter, fresh fruits and veggies, plenty of meat and top it all off with olive oil! And one more thing; if it's not something that your grandparents would recognize as food, it ain't food! This immediately nullifies many things you'd get out of a bag, box or can. This means you need to be sticking to the outside of the grocery store where they keep all the fresh food and skimp on visiting the aisles.

2. Rest Like a Baby
You don't grow while you work, you grow while you rest. Your hard earned sweat and blood will be wasted if you don't give yourself a chance to recover. This means getting at least 8, and more like 10, hours of uninteruppted sleep every night. If you don't have time to rest, then you don't have time to train, it's as simple as that.
(I only post this cuz most people have trouble even sleeping 10 hours, and they think it's normal to be like that, hah, i think long school hours, late night studying, long work hours, aka, society, have fucked most people's ability to do sleep like a baby, wherever, whenever.)

RacePace 10-21-2009 08:13 AM

I like this one too

7. Overtraining = Underrecovering
Overtraining is The Black Plague of the bodybuilding world and by my estimates your chances of getting either one are about equal. Don't concern yourself with working too hard or too long, concern yourself with recovering too little. There is no amount of training that will put you into an overtrained state, there is only a deficit of recovery that will. Train hard and rest harder and you'll never have to worry about getting overtrained. But be sure to wash your hands just in case.

Everyday of the week I do some sort of physical activity, but if you get at least 8 hours of sleep every day as well, and eat enough, you'll be fine

hal0g0dv2 10-21-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6645588)
I like this one too

7. Overtraining = Underrecovering
Overtraining is The Black Plague of the bodybuilding world and by my estimates your chances of getting either one are about equal. Don't concern yourself with working too hard or too long, concern yourself with recovering too little. There is no amount of training that will put you into an overtrained state, there is only a deficit of recovery that will. Train hard and rest harder and you'll never have to worry about getting overtrained. But be sure to wash your hands just in case.

Everyday of the week I do some sort of physical activity, but if you get at least 8 hours of sleep every day as well, and eat enough, you'll be fine

yeah i try to always get 8 hours

Wykydtron 10-25-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

You can only shoot as high as you aim.

sexyaccord 10-27-2009 12:13 PM

i thought you meant Ray Park
the guy who played Darth Maul

!Yaminashi 10-29-2009 11:10 AM

Good thing I sleep 8 hours a night at least :)

triplexcel 10-30-2009 01:27 AM

^lol, if i don't sleep for atleast 8 hrs i feel tired.

triplexcel 11-25-2009 03:40 PM

okay.. so since my first post in this thread, i've been working on this 5x5 work out for the past 5-6 weeks.

Here are my current results:

Currently weighing ~211lbs.

Squat 295 -> 345
Bench 255 -> 285
Military press 140 -> 150
BB rows 165 ->185
Deadlift 345 -> 365
Chin Ups bodyweight + 10 -> +25

On some exercises, i'm starting to feel a plateau and some i can keep on going. Anyone else doing this exercise? i'm gona stop doing deadlifts because i feel that my lower back isn't strong enough so i'm gona work on that for a bit and then get back into it and i also switched from military press to db press just because i do mini-push presses when i get lazy lol. post up your results!

gabi 11-30-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6700167)
okay.. so since my first post in this thread, i've been working on this 5x5 work out for the past 5-6 weeks.

Squat 295 -> 345
Bench 255 -> 285
BB rows 165 ->185
Deadlift 345 -> 365

On some exercises, i'm starting to feel a plateau and some i can keep on going. Anyone else doing this exercise? i'm gona stop doing deadlifts because i feel that my lower back isn't strong enough so i'm gona work on that for a bit and then get back into it and i also switched from military press to db press just because i do mini-push presses when i get lazy lol. post up your results!

switch to a different exercise for the ones that you feel you have plateued on, then come back to it after you have plateued once again

i wouldn't switch out deadlifts for the reason stated above, just keep at 'em and use a weight that you can manage safely... or if you are absolutely certain its your lower back that needs some work, then do rack deads in place of deadlifts and then come back to the deadlift

hal0g0dv2 11-30-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6700167)

Squat 295 -> 345
Bench 255 -> 285
BB rows 165 ->185
Deadlift 345 -> 365

does it hurt when u squat like lower back also?
squat is a major lower back exercise?

DC5-S 11-30-2009 10:08 PM

holy fuck squats and SLDL really kill my back, my back is still sore from friday.. went to workout today and couldnt do deadlifts..

hal0g0dv2 12-01-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5-S (Post 6707721)
holy fuck squats and SLDL really kill my back, my back is still sore from friday.. went to workout today and couldnt do deadlifts..

yeah man, squats fuck your back up

triplexcel 12-01-2009 12:14 PM

Halo, it doesn't hurt my lower back, just my upper back. It feels like the upper part of my back (I think shoulder blades, not sure what its called) is getting compressed everytime I go heavy.

As for deads, I think it might be my legs getting tired from the squats, that's why my form is a little lacking. I think I will try out the rack deads, they might be a little easier on the legs
Posted via RS Mobile

!Yaminashi 12-01-2009 12:37 PM

Damn I think I wanna start doing Reg's workout routine. I'll probably be doing next to no weight at first compared to them, but reading that article actually MAKES me want to start it

triplexcel 12-01-2009 08:06 PM

its a simple but hard workout.

!Yaminashi 12-01-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6709165)
its a simple but hard workout.

Yeah, just looking at workout B for the beginners, squats and deadlifts in the same day will be absolutely killer:eek:

gabi 12-01-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6708481)
Halo, it doesn't hurt my lower back, just my upper back. It feels like the upper part of my back (I think shoulder blades, not sure what its called) is getting compressed everytime I go heavy.

As for deads, I think it might be my legs getting tired from the squats, that's why my form is a little lacking. I think I will try out the rack deads, they might be a little easier on the legs
Posted via RS Mobile

i would probably do squats and deadlifts on different days but if you're set on doing that, then yes, the rack deads will take most of the focus away from the hamstrings

Volvo-brickster 12-22-2009 09:55 PM

ive had decent gains using this 5x5 method

only 3 weeks into it but bench has gone from repping 185 to 215

i'd be only happier if i didn't have a glass back that held me back in squats :(

triplexcel 12-28-2009 10:21 AM

Nice, I'm stopping squats and doing hack squats instead simply because its waaay too painful for my shoulder blades. So painful that I can't even stand up straight after a set.
Posted via RS Mobile