REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

crazy germans shoot a Rolls-Royce Phantom and then attempt to blow it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTCMT1e0BE
Quote:
http://www.bentleyspotting.com presents Rolls Royce Phantom Extended Wheel Base Ballistic Test by Mutec, official coach builder of Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd.
Advertisement
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
why why why
Old 10-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
1:52 is absolutely incredible
To top it all off they should drive it away
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
holy shit i wonder wut kinda reinforcements do they have to make it bomb proof, it must handle like asss
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

If they really want to test it out, they should also try shooting into the door jambs and roof.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOOT THE TIREEEEE!!!!! lol
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

cool

did anyone survive?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
If they really want to test it out, they should also try shooting into the door jambs and roof.
I'm sure they would've. This vid is probably just a smidgen of the kind of testing they go through.

Mercedes Guard videos are also fun to watch. Here's the new W212 E-class getting shot at/blown up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgB9ZyMufes
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Banned (BBM)

cool
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

does that mean if these cars crash into another car, the unarmored car will be demolished? =S
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
does that mean if these cars crash into another car, the unarmored car will be demolished? =S
yea i'd like to see that, the armoured vehicle would probably go right through it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
anyone know how much the guard models cost over the standard benz? lol i wouldnt mind rolling around van and surrey with one
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
yea i'd like to see that, the armoured vehicle would probably go right through it
It;s not like a bank vault with wheels

A lot of it is 'soft' armour like sheets of kevlar, or aramid so they can maintain the orignal shape of the car

The heaviest weight is probably the upgraded windows...in an accident the car will still crumple like most cars. It's only designed to withstand tiny projectiles (weighing grams) at ballistic speed, not huge impacts like a 3500lb vehicle, with a 450lb engine block mashing into the side of it

Same reason why a vest will stop a 9mm bullet (7-9 grams) dead in it's track, but won't save it's user from getting KO'ed by a 14lb sledgehammer swung by hand

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
wow. drug dealers can now dump their amored 7-series and SUVs for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- View Post
reinforced run-flats, according to someone else said on another board. nothing like james bond though... it's some sort of thing that keeps the tire from completely collapsing and coming off the rim.

what kind of yield do those explosives have in that test? something like a grenade? C-4? roadside bomb iraq/afganistan-style?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
I am on the internets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
anyone know how much the guard models cost over the standard benz? lol i wouldnt mind rolling around van and surrey with one
these are rough estimates but a normal e class or 5 series is around 60k

the factory ballistic one is about 300-400,000

that Rolls would be SUPREMELY expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- View Post
They've had self sealing tires for years. they form a new layer over bullet holes in seconds.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
I'm sure they would've. This vid is probably just a smidgen of the kind of testing they go through.

Mercedes Guard videos are also fun to watch. Here's the new W212 E-class getting shot at/blown up.

2:36 doh! someone forgot to armor the hood crest
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
2:36 doh! someone forgot to armor the hood crest
The hood crest is the last thing you will worry about if you are running away from baddies on land-mines covered ground.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosi...med_penetrator = Game over.

Mount that sideways on a telephone pole or side of a building, so it blasts through the windows and guillotines whoevers inside...

Even home-made EFP's in Iraq can defeat all modern armour designed to withstand ANTI-TANK mines..

OR

Roadblock the vehicle long enough to punch into the side of it with an industrial forklift. It'll go right through it.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post

Mount that sideways on a telephone pole or side of a building, so it blasts through the windows and guillotines whoevers inside...

Even home-made EFP's in Iraq can defeat all modern armour designed to withstand ANTI-TANK mines..

OR

Roadblock the vehicle long enough to punch into the side of it with an industrial forklift. It'll go right through it.
wow i had no idea this sort of thing existed... you wouldn't happen to be on any watch lists would you?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post

so there saying, i can unload with a .50cal, and it wont penetrate at all?
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post

OR

Saw this EFP on one of those Japanese Drama/CSI/detective shows! I can't believe it's real! :O cool!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #22

Quote:
wow i had no idea this sort of thing existed... you wouldn't happen to be on any watch lists would you?
An easier way to explain it is that instead of having the explosives exploding in every direction, the shaped charge cencentrates the force of the explosive in one direction and in a specific area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LudNqf56AFo

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #23

Quote:
An easier way to explain it is that instead of having the explosives exploding in every direction, the shaped charge cencentrates the force of the explosive in one direction and in a specific area.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #24

Quote:

Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote: